Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Songs - You still remember the first time you heard them

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I was on a long, wintery walk listening to some tunes when I realised there is only ONE song in my life, so far, that I can still remember the exact first time I heard it. I was amazed that there is only one.

The first time I heard it was on Steve Lamacq's Single of the Week show in 1991 and Bernard Sumner absolutely loved it.

Made me wonder if this is unusual? Do you remember the very first time you heard a particular song(s)? I know famous musicians say that hearing a particular song changed their life and led them into music but I've often wondered if that was just bullshit. You know, my first 7" bought as a 9 year old was The Clash type bull (when actually it was the Goombay Dance Band, mine).

herecomesaregular

Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I was on a long, wintery walk listening to some tunes when I realised there is only ONE song in my life, so far, that I can still remember the exact first time I heard it. I was amazed that there is only one.

The first time I heard it was on Steve Lamacq's Single of the Week show in 1991 and Bernard Sumner absolutely loved it.

Made me wonder if this is unusual? Do you remember the very first time you heard a particular song(s)? I know famous musicians say that hearing a particular song changed their life and led them into music but I've often wondered if that was just bullshit.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A kid at primary school had the album, I was only 9, his Dad travelled and picked up it up in Germany. He played this at his home after school. I already loved Popcorn by Hot Butter, but very young, a love of synths was born.

With mates in about 1982 or 1983 we walked into a new nightclub in Brighton, Coasters, and heard this beauty. Played by innovative DJ Rory. Light years ahead of other genre of dance music at that time. I can still picture that evening, those evenings, magical times. [Whilst Phil Lepper was playing Oops Upside Your Head in the same building].

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This blew me away when I heard it on the Old Grey Whistle Test. Few songs have had the same impact on first hearing. I remember where I was and the people who were there when we watched it. Bought the album the next day

https://youtu.be/-UByfuu39eM

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Not a song, more an album, but I remember being three songs into Original Pirate Material on my Sony Discman on a number 96 tram in Melbourne heading from the CBD to St Kilda and being blown away by every track.

What’s more, an amazing coincidence just happened. I was typing this while watching Grand Designs and an advert just came on which featured Turn The Page, the first track on the album. Never seen the advert before.

Last edited:

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
herecomesaregular;100761 28 said:

Made me wonder if this is unusual? Do you remember the very first time you heard a particular song(s)? I know famous musicians say that hearing a particular song changed their life and led them into music but I've often wondered if that was just bullshit. You know, my first 7" bought as a 9 year old was The Clash type bull (when actually it was the Goombay Dance Band, mine).

I listened to this song (and album) as my dad drove me and a few others back home after a one nil home defeat at the goldstone against Bristol City. At the time we thought we’d blown the play offs with the defeat, but we got to Wembley in the end.
It remains the Albion season that means most to me. 1990/91. Small and Byrne, Bob Codner, Deeeeaaaannooo, We’ve got a Maltese international.Take me back.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
I first heard this on my transistor radio, as it was then, while in my final year at Uni - hated it, screeching noise. Then I saw her perform it - OMG - captivating. Then I loved it - still do!

herecomesaregular

Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Not a song, more an album, but I remember being three songs into Original Pirate Material on my Sony Discman on a number 96 tram heading from the CBD to St Kilda and being blown away by every track.

What’s more, an amazing coincidence just happened. I was typing this while watching Grand Designs and an advert just came on which featured Turn The Page, the first track on the album. Never seen the advert before.

Blimey, you've just reminded me of the first time I heard The Streets , Has It Come To This - when backpacking and working in Lower Hutt (?), Wellington. There was a great independent NZ radio station of which I can't name, listening to it before my night shift doing data entry. So, that's two songs I now remember hearing for the first time, cheers bud!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not a song, more an album, but I remember being three songs into Original Pirate Material on my Sony Discman on a number 96 tram heading from the CBD to St Kilda and being blown away by every track.

I bought that in Our Price in Worthing.
I'd parked behind what is now TK Max.
It was a sunny day. (Having just looked it up, I can now say it was unseasonably warm for late March)
I was just leaving the car park, past the solicitors as the intro fired up.

The volume was instantly cranked up as I too was blown away by every track.

I drove to a friends for no other reason than 'you've got to listen to this'.

Jul 7, 2003
There are some songs i associate with certain events but for the first time I heard it, one that immediately springs to mind is MC Hammer's You Can't Touch This. I was out in a New Orleans nightclub in May 1990 and the DJ played this track that just got everyone in the room up on their feet. I bought a copy in a record store the next day as it wasn't released in the UK until the following month.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I've got a few. Charlie Says by The Prodigy and Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit both have really strong associations with first time I heard them and had my mind blown. Hearing Waterfall by Stone Roses for the first time on John Peel is a strong memory too. But this one was on my bike, Walkman on, cycling along the river bank near Hampton Court. I remember stopping and rewinding and listening to it over and over again. At the time it came out I was in my teens and all my mates were into the charts and mainstream pop music and I was just starting to find alternatives and do the cliche Camden thing. Hearing this triggered something for me and was totally formative in my tastes ever since I think.

herecomesaregular

Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I've got a few. Charlie Says by The Prodigy and Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit both have really strong associations with first time I heard them and had my mind blown. Hearing Waterfall by Stone Roses for the first time on John Peel is a strong memory too. But this one was on my bike, Walkman on, cycling along the river bank near Hampton Court. I remember stopping and rewinding and listening to it over and over again. At the time it came out I was in my teens and all my mates were into the charts and mainstream pop music and I was just starting to find alternatives and do the cliche Camden thing. Hearing this triggered something for me and was totally formative in my tastes ever since I think.

Such a drum-led band, FNM. They were great early doors.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
herecomesaregular;100761 35 said:

Made me wonder if this is unusual? Do you remember the very first time you heard a particular song(s)? I know famous musicians say that hearing a particular song changed their life and led them into music but I've often wondered if that was just bullshit.

Wicked Game takes me back to a particular place in time but it was 10 years after it was released. It did change my life a bit though.
Original Pirate Material I can remember who I was with and where I was, when I 1st heard that album.
I strongly associate friends & family with different tunes. If I was musical I would say that hearing a certain song could lead you into the music industry. I could never do a top 50 of my favourite songs (there are too many to narrow down) but if you were to ask me to list songs that I associate with people, I could do that for most of my friends and family very easily..... *Scuttles off to YouTube.*.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I was sitting in the canteen at Brighton Technical College in 1986 and heard this song. It just seemed really unusual.

It’s called “The Brazilian” off the Invisible Touch album. I had no idea who it was at the time and asked the people behind the counter. I went out and bought the album in Woolworths, London Road.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Metal Guru - I was on a Butlins holiday in Barry Island with my parents and heard it in the penny arcade.
For You (by Judie Tzuke) on a Norfolk Broads holiday with my parents when it came on the radio.
The whole of Face Value on a reel to reel at a hi-go exhibition in a London hotel.

I wish I could remember exactly the radio show I heard War of the Worlds on (it was a full review when it first came out) and the album remains one of my all time favourites.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
August 83, on a small ferry with friends taking us from Cala Bassa back to San Antonio, the guys running the ferry were playing early Euro pop/Italo Disco.

I fell in love with this, but it took the invention of youtube for me to finally track it down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here