Oakford in Devon
This is the one game that sticks in my mind from those heady days at Gillingham
Happy Anniversary
5f5cba166c1ccc1db72dcf1aa2facf21.jpg

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
For me it simply has to be the 0-4 v Darlington on my birthday.

Think Gabbiadini might have even bagged a hat trick at something ridiculous like 53 years of age.

Vin

Jun 12, 2021

Think Gabbiadini might have even bagged a hat trick at something ridiculous like 53 years of age.

Gabbiadini did get a hat trick. Jock Riddell (kit man) wouldn’t let him have the ball and where fighting in the tunnel together.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

I didn't get to Gillingham a lot but managed to get to that game. I think that was also the game we took one of the worst penalties ever

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks

I seem to remember wandering out just before the end, took a last look back as Peter Smith kneed an own goal into the top corner and thinking it really can't get any worse.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The upside of Gillingham was parking outside the ground and a quick getaway…that’s about it. Bizarrely I do have quite fond memories of our time there though, I must be a masochist.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
The upside of Gillingham was parking outside the ground and a quick getaway…that’s about it. Bizarrely I do have quite fond memories of our time there though, I must be a masochist.

I don't think Gillingham was that bad to be honest. A lot of the people I've chatted to who tell me it was s**t, either never went or only went a handful of times. If you had a season ticket the coaches up there were free, and even if you didn't it wasn't expesnive to get the coach or get in to the game. I always thought there was good banter on the coaches. I liked standing behind the goal and thought for such small crowds we were pretty vocal. I'm not some saying it was brilliant, it was a bit of a pain and tiring but i had some good days there with my mates.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

So do I - although it's nothing to do with the football! My wife comes from Orpington, so we'd drive up there for lunch, then myself, the children and my father-in-law would drive over to Gillingham for the match leaving my wife and her mum to have a good natter. Then we'd come back, cold and depressed, to be cheered up by a nice warm fire, a pot of tea and a plate of sandwiches. We'd often stay overnight as well and have a huge cooked breakfast in the morning. Happy days!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
For me, a highlight of our shitness (contradiction in terms, I think) was when we came back from being 0-3 at 'home' to Colchester and drew 4-4. The fact that coming back to draw against Colchester gave me the same sense of euphoria at the time as drawing 2-2 at Anfield last week just shows how low our expectations had sunk. Another highlight, where similar low-level expectations demonstrated our shitness of the time, was celebrating beating Doncaster away 3-1 when they had a fat Sunday-league keeper playing for them.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
For me, a highlight of our shitness (contradiction in terms, I think) was when we came back from being 0-3 at 'home' to Colchester and drew 4-4. The fact that coming back to draw against Colchester gave me the same sense of euphoria at the time as drawing 2-2 at Anfield last week just shows how low our expectations had sunk. Another highlight, where similar low-level expectations demonstrated our shitness of the time, was celebrating beating Doncaster away 3-1 when they had a fat Sunday-league keeper playing for them.

With a drunk sounding Attila or was it the Henfield One urging the fans on over the tannoy during the comeback :lolol:

Memorable game and as you say euphoric

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
In a way I'm with you and you knew most of the fans who went back in those days.
Also some proper away days back then.

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
Being an exile and a student living in the Midlands at the time, my one and only visit to Gillingham was the aforementioned Darlington game.

Horrid is not the word.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Paul Emblem hatrick that game I'm sure and he was on loan from Charlton.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
With a drunk sounding Attila or was it the Henfield One urging the fans on over the tannoy during the comeback :lolol:

Memorable game and as you say euphoric

It sure was a great come back, but in true albion style, very very annoying 3 down to come back to 3-3 I was ecstatic, jumping about like a mad man, thinking this is it, The Albion have turned a corner, we can go and win and our finally next year 98 we put the last two years behind us, with this result, only for them to about 5 mins later, the feeling of deflation still lives with me....

Only for Jeff Minton to smash home a penalty.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009

half time in that game was my lowest point... was it Boxing Day? Am sure it was in or around christmas

Another lowlight was the wally with the brolly in the Plymouth end as they tonked us ....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here