Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] What was in Liam Brady's 1976 Record Collection?

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
20211103_025407.jpg

The ones I can make out are:

Thin Lizzy : Thin Lizzy
Rory Gallagher : Irish Tour 1974
Bob Dylan : Blood on the Tracks

There are eight others, some offering only teasing little clues.

Can the collective musical knowledge of NSC reveal the rest?

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Also:

Thin Lizzy : Shades of a Blue Orphanage
Bob Dylan : Blonde on Blonde (the one with the gatefold sleeve that he's holding)

That's five down. Six to go.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Musical taste better than his taste in carpets.

Being in the trade, that’s an Axminster, probably around £60sqm that now or should I say square yard.
Actually it looks thread bare in places, and not tucked in at the edges.
Judging by the leather settee and, it’s odd ripped seats, plus the decor, this is not his gaff, maybe a lodging he was put up in or parents house.

No belt, was never a good look either.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Horslips - Dancehall Sweethearts. (Which has reminded me that I used to have a copy of The Tain but lost in the mists of time - and that is the one in the photo with the chain mail).
Horslips - The Unfortunate Cup of Tea.
Taste - Taste

Liked his Irish bands, didn’t he!

Last edited:

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
So starting from the right working clockwise we have so far established:

Bob Dylan : Blood on the Tracks
Taste : Taste
Horselips : The Tain
Horselips : Dancehall Sweethearts
Horselips : The Incredible Cup of Tea
Thin Lizzy : Thin Lizzy
Thin Lizzy : Shades of a Blue Orphanage
? : ?
Rory Gallagher : Irish Tour 1974
? : ?
Bob Dylan : Blonde on Blonde

So that leaves just the two indicated albums partly obsucured by Gallagher's Irish Tour.
There's a definite Irish / Dylan theme which should help to narrow the search.

2021-11-03 08.08.50.jpg

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The top one is another Lizzy album: Vagabonds of The Western World.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Just worked out what the one nearest the sofa is. Using the clues I saw a yellow V in the title. We had already established he was a Thin Lizzy fan.
It's Thin Lizzy : Vagabonds of the Western World.

That leaves one to go.
This one:
(Not sure which way the writing reads. There appears to be two heads poking out from beneath Gallagher's Live Tour album)

20211103_091120.jpg

20211103_091425.jpg

20211103_091627.jpg

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Beat me to it while I was providing the clues for the last one.

I had an advantage as I've owned it for years. Its the first Thin Lizzy album that has artwork by Jim Fitzpatrick, who went on to design their famous logo and a lot of their other album covers. He was also the man responsible for the graphic Che Guevara print. He didn't copyright it because he wanted it's use to spread. He certainly got what he wanted.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I had an advantage as I've owned it for years. Its the first Thin Lizzy album that has artwork by Jim Fitzpatrick, who went on to design their famous logo and a lot of their other album covers. He was also the man responsible for the graphic Che Guevara print. He didn't copyright it because he wanted it's use to spread. He certainly got what he wanted.

Thanks, that's not something I was previously aware of. Wiki further tells me that he actually met Guevara by chance in a pub in Ireland in 1963 (five years prior to producing the poster) when Guevara was stranded due to fog on an overnight flight to Moscow after his plane had landed in Ireland to refuel.

Fitzpatrick was working behind the bar when Guevara walked in and ordered an Irish whisky.

Vagabonds_of_the_Western_World.jpg

20211103_103207.jpg

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

That's a great spot. Just leaves the one he has in his hands then. Harder when you only have an inside cover photo, but we know its a gatefold sleeve and it looks like it might be a solo artist photographed looking in the mirror. Doesn't look like Dylan. Gallagher again? Van Morrison?

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
That's a great spot. Just leaves the one he has in his hands then. Harder when you only have an inside cover photo, but we know its a gatefold sleeve and it looks like it might be a solo artist photographed looking in the mirror. Doesn't look like Dylan. Gallagher again? Van Morrison?

We already established the one in his hands is Dylan's Blonde on Blonde.

Our mission is accomplished.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
We already established the one in his hands is Dylan's Blonde on Blonde.

Our mission is accomplished.

Nice one. Sorry, I didn't read your post carefully and mistook it for another reference to Blood on the Tracks. I've only ever had Blonde on Blonde on CD, so didn't recognise the inside cover.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here