Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] That Crystal Palace banner

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
If people took notice of Hitler and dealt with the issues he was addressing then maybe the war wouldn't have happened. Ignoring him and acting like he was a nobody led to the war. Surely sitting down with the Arabs and saying we believe you are wrong for x y z is the best way to deal with him. The trouble is everyone wants to be a hero but never wants to deal with the issues.

Why is no one asking what influences (if any) they have on our government for them to be talking to the Premier League over the Newcastle takeover.

Cor blimey, if I was drinking coffee I'd be spitting it. I don't know what history books you have been reading but: "If people took notice of Hitler and dealt with the issues he was addressing then maybe the war wouldn't have happened. Ignoring him and acting like he was a nobody led to the war" has got to be one of the most counter-historical statements that I've ever read. Quite the opposite is true, Hitler was watched and worried about by all neighbouring Eurpean countries and the course of action decided upon was appeasement rather than confrontation.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It's okay England will be playing again soon and he'll be abusing Brighton fans again rather than Palace ones

Ouch - where did that come from?!

Ps - I haven’t abused anyone FYI.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
People are upset at Newcastle due to the human rights abuses in Saudi Arabia, it's just as well that no other clubs are flying the flag for autocratic regimes that detain and kill opponents, restrict freedom of movement and expression.

https://www.state.gov/reports/2020-country-reports-on-human-rights-practices/rwanda/

View attachment 141529

People have different thresholds of values and I don't see this as the same.

Folk have a choice whether they want to visit Rwanda or not. Maybe in doing so they may help a lot of livelihoods. But Rwanda's government doesn't own Arsenal.

If Newcastle had sponsorship from Saudi I would call it questionable. But for the club to be owned is different. If the Saudi version of the Tourist Board advertised at the AMEX it wouldn't bother me, folk can choose. I don't think they would get much from it. If we sold the club to them that's the last the club sees of me.

I'm less angry at the Saudi ownership of Newcastle than I am saddened by the open arms invitation and indulgence of the supporters.

But folk may feel pressured. One MP said they wouldn't set foot in the ground after the Wonga deal but happily embraced this. That's just NUTS.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've not read the thread, but regardless of the fact that it was hoisted by Palace filth, that banner was truly excellent and will have (I hope) caused great embarrassment in the Saudi/Toon hotseats, where the complaint to the police most likely originated from.

The Spiv and his american cohorts are obviously scum, but they haven't dismembered anyone yet so can be afforded an element of latitude - in comparison to that preening slut Slavery and her murderous entourage.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Did I misread your posts on the England Hungary match thread then

‘ on the whole NSC is pathetically anti English with the national team and it’s shameful. But I try not to bother on here anymore :)’ based on a fact that was a thread when we won 4-0 was a lot shorter than one when we happened to draw! A thread I only replied on as I was @ twice by other posters? How is that abusive.

You know what, NSC used to be a great community and Brighton fans looking out for eachother. Now you’ve got palace trolls who offer nothing to the board offered support by so called long term posters, some bloke abroad who’s never watched the Albion telling everyone they’re wrong on every thread and sneaking in thumbs etc. Posters just trying to take chunks out of eachother and those butting in like this when there’s absolutely no need. The pennies dropped with this unprovoked weird attack from you - it’s just not what it was. And certainly not something I personally need in my life right now. Much more healthy without it.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I've not read the thread, but regardless of the fact that it was hoisted by Palace filth, that banner was truly excellent and will have (I hope) caused great embarrassment in the Saudi/Toon hotseats, where the complaint to the police most likely originated from.

The Spiv and his american cohorts are obviously scum, but they haven't dismembered anyone yet so can be afforded an element of latitude - in comparison to that preening slut Slavery and her murderous entourage.

Like you I haven't read the thread but the one thing I couldn't understand was why the banner had a penguin on it. Then some 30 minutes later I realised it was supposed to be a magpie.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Like you I haven't read the thread but the one thing I couldn't understand was why the banner had a penguin on it. Then some 30 minutes later I realised it was supposed to be a magpie.

I did exactly the same :lolol::lolol:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
‘ on the whole NSC is pathetically anti English with the national team and it’s shameful. But I try not to bother on here anymore :)’ based on a fact that was a thread when we won 4-0 was a lot shorter than one when we happened to draw! A thread I only replied on as I was @ twice by other posters? How is that abusive.

You know what, NSC used to be a great community and Brighton fans looking out for eachother. Now you’ve got palace trolls who offer nothing to the board offered support by so called long term posters, some bloke abroad who’s never watched the Albion telling everyone they’re wrong on every thread and sneaking in thumbs etc. Posters just trying to take chunks out of eachother and those butting in like this when there’s absolutely no need. The pennies dropped with this unprovoked weird attack from you - it’s just not what it was. And certainly not something I personally need in my life right now. Much more healthy without it.

That overseas poster is a dick, put him on ignore. I was going to reply to your post calling us all anti England at the time but didn't press send in the end. I apologise for going back to that but I feel your anti everything Palace is a little extreme sometimes.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Cor blimey, if I was drinking coffee I'd be spitting it. I don't know what history books you have been reading but: "If people took notice of Hitler and dealt with the issues he was addressing then maybe the war wouldn't have happened. Ignoring him and acting like he was a nobody led to the war" has got to be one of the most counter-historical statements that I've ever read. Quite the opposite is true, Hitler was watched and worried about by all neighbouring Eurpean countries and the course of action decided upon was appeasement rather than confrontation.

Hitler wasn't taken seriously on his rise to power, when he got into power he was too powerful as he played on the fears of the people of Germany. If everybody had worked towards rebuilding everything rather than leaving them to rot he couldn't have played on how they was feeling.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Hitler wasn't taken seriously on his rise to power, when he got into power he was too powerful as he played on the fears of the people of Germany. If everybody had worked towards rebuilding everything rather than leaving them to rot he couldn't have played on how they was feeling.

Sort of true. Some people laughed him off. Some very influential journalists and politicians took him very seriously indeed.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Sort of true. Some people laughed him off. Some very influential journalists and politicians took him very seriously indeed.

Winston Churchill was one of them. Most others didn't. Hitler tried a coup failed went to prison for a year and ended up with a parliament position because of his popularity a few years later. If people took someone who had already tried a coup seriously they wouldn't let him anywhere near parliament.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I understand the imperative. Buy a club. Make them great. Be the good guys.

But then what?

Can you turn a blind eye to repression, torture, summary execution, dismemberment, abuse of women and the support of islamic terrorism? Just because someone owns a club?

Sure, sure, we simply love you now you own Newcastle. Like we all loved Captain Bob when he bought Oxford. And like we all loved Owen Oyston when he took Blackpool into the EPL (or his son did - he was probably in jail for rape by then).

And we have always sold the Saudis arms. Always will. They don't need to own Newcastle to facilitate that.

So what's it all about? I really don't get it.

I am beginning to feel that sportswashing is fake news. It is more akin to drawing attention to the wider public your shortcomings. Sportsdirtying more like.

It's about power and control.

Building up a portfolio of assets that are important to ordinary people in the UK. Property, care homes, transport companies,football clubs. It all serves to embed the regime deeper and deeper into our society and culture and makes it harder and harder for our government(s) to take a stand against them when they do things like murdering journalists in our capital city. That's the long term plan. And it is something we should absolutely be concerned about in my view.

To be honest I am very suprised at the attitude of you and others here (equating the regime in Saudi Arabia with Rwanda is just nonsense). I may be wrong but I am pretty sure you've accused others of 'whataboutery' (not a phrase I am a fan of, but seems to be common parlence on NSC) in the past yet you've reacted badly to (correctly) being called out on exactly that.

I've hated the ownership of Chelesa and Man City since they started. I have campaigned on climate change since before it was trendy. I've refused to holiday in Dubai ever since I was witness to exactly how they treat foreign workers. But the Saudi's are a different level again and if you can't see that then either you are not looking very carefully, or you are just trying to look clever in the internet by making a clever point. Pointing out some level of hypocricy in others is not winning an argument. It is the prime 'debating' tactics of Piers Morgan, and that is never a good look. I'm glad that some, at least, have decided that this purchase is the straw that breaks the camel's back.

The wholesale handover of control of our historical football clubs to the highest bidder, almost no matter who they are, by the FA (and the celebrations by all those that profit from the bloated money-laden industry that is modern football) should be a far greater concern to us than a pantomime rivalry with a club with whom we actually have a lot in common. I applaud the fans that put that banner up. It's childishly pathetic in my eyes to decide that we have to be against them because they are 'Palace scum'.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
It's about power and control.

Building up a portfolio of assets that are important to ordinary people in the UK. Property, care homes, transport companies,football clubs. It all serves to embed the regime deeper and deeper into our society and culture and makes it harder and harder for our government(s) to take a stand against them when they do things like murdering journalists in our capital city. That's the long term plan. And it is something we should absolutely be concerned about in my view.

To be honest I am very suprised at the attitude of you and others here (equating the regime in Saudi Arabia with Rwanda is just nonsense). I may be wrong but I am pretty sure you've accused others of 'whataboutery' (not a phrase I am a fan of, but seems to be common parlence on NSC) in the past yet you've reacted badly to (correctly) being called out on exactly that.

I've hated the ownership of Chelesa and Man City since they started. I have campaigned on climate change since before it was trendy. I've refused to holiday in Dubai ever since I was witness to exactly how they treat foreign workers. But the Saudi's are a different level again and if you can't see that then either you are not looking very carefully, or you are just trying to look clever in the internet by making a clever point. Pointing out some level of hypocricy in others is not winning an argument. It is the prime 'debating' tactics of Piers Morgan, and that is never a good look. I'm glad that some, at least, have decided that this purchase is the straw that breaks the camel's back.

The wholesale handover of control of our historical football clubs to the highest bidder, almost no matter who they are, by the FA (and the celebrations by all those that profit from the bloated money-laden industry that is modern football) should be a far greater concern to us than a pantomime rivalry with a club with whom we actually have a lot in common. I applaud the fans that put that banner up. It's childishly pathetic in my eyes to decide that we have to be against them because they are 'Palace scum'.

Don't dismiss diversification. Planning for the future. Increasing your footprint. Investing in hard, income producing assets in foreign countries.

Buying a football club is not a punt. It's very long term financial planning, and will provide them with long-term income in a foreign currency. Perhaps they are gazing out into the future, generations ahead. Perhaps they are looking at a time when the oil runs out, or when there is no longer a market for it. They will be acutely aware that the oil money is finite.

Then there they are the optics, which HWT touched upon. They know they have a bad press. They will want to engage further with the western world. They already enjoy it, at arms length. But this is against a backdrop of 1400 years of Islam. That's not a quick turnaround.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Don't dismiss diversification. Planning for the future. Increasing your footprint. Investing in hard, income producing assets in foreign countries.

Buying a football club is not a punt. It's very long term financial planning, and will provide them with long-term income in a foreign currency. Perhaps they are gazing out into the future, generations ahead. Perhaps they are looking at a time when the oil runs out, or when there is no longer a market for it. They will be acutely aware that the oil money is finite.

Then there they are the optics, which HWT touched upon. They know they have a bad press. They will want to engage further with the western world. They already enjoy it, at arms length. But this is against a backdrop of 1400 years of Islam. That's not a quick turnaround.

I agree that they are looking beyond oil (though as we have always known and has recently been made even clearer, they have always done their best to make sure the transition is as slow as possible) and this is part of a wider, long term strategy. But I suspect owning Newcastle is more about control, influence and vanity than it is about money. even long term.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here