Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Dune

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Saw this on Monday at Cineworld at a preview screening.

I really liked it as the whole look and feel of the film was stunning and really felt like scenes were from another planet. Very much a part 1 of 2 but performances were good and if you're into sci-fi and liked the novel it's based on I would certainly recommend it. Might even go a second time to see it in IMAX.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Saw this on Monday at Cineworld at a preview screening.

I really liked it as the whole look and feel of the film was stunning and really felt like scenes were from another planet. Very much a part 1 of 2 but performances were good and if you're into sci-fi and liked the novel it's based on I would certainly recommend it. Might even go a second time to see it in IMAX.

I'm booked to see it at the Crawley IMAX screening on Sunday. A film like this deserves the biggest screen and the best sound system (which I know Crawley isn't. but I'm not going to London to see it).

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE
I read all of the books in my early 20's and thought they were fantastic. I think the Lord of the Rings analogy is a good way of explaining the complexity and scale of the writing. I'm now in my 50's
I can't wait.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
And Arrival.

The book is amazing, and without it there definitely wouldn't have been a star wars. Well... maybe, I'm sure Lucas would have ripped off someone else instead. But can't wait for the new Dune film. The way Villeneuve directed Blade Runner 2059 makes me have very high hopes for this.

And prior to those he did Sicario which is another corker of a film. The soundscapes and tension that builds, never has there been a more exciting traffic jam in cinematic history than Sicario. :D

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I read the book when i was about 14/15 . It was probably the first "adult" book that I read. I probably didn't understand half of it to be honest, but it made a lasting impression on me and when the David Lynch film was announced I was very excited.

I mostly enjoyed the first film, but was like many others disappointed in the massive amounts of missing material, and I have no idea how anyone could have followed it if they weren't familiar with the original book.

Its been many many years since I read the book, so other than the basic premise I will be viewing this as almost a newbie, I hope I will be blown away , I fear I wont!

Films seldom come close to the books they are taken from imo. If you hadn't read 2001 before seeing the film I doubt you'd have a fecking clue what was going on especially as the film evolved. The only one I can think of off the top of my head that came close to doing justice to the book was The Godfather.

Maybe we should have a thread about films that were as good as the book :smile:

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Films seldom come close to the books they are taken from imo. If you hadn't read 2001 before seeing the film I doubt you'd have a fecking clue what was going on especially as the film evolved. The only one I can think of off the top of my head that came close to doing justice to the book was The Godfather.

Staying close to the subject of Denis Villeneuve films, Arrival is fairly close to the short story 'Story of Your Life' by Ted Chiang. I got bought a collection of Ted's shorts in a book and stumbled upon Story of Your Life, and while set up differently in structure, about 1/4 way in I was 'hang on a damn minute, this is Arrival'.:D

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Word of warning, if you come across the 2021 movie 'Dune World' that's not the film everyone is talking about. Started watching it and very realised it was a movie that cost about $100 to make, I lasted about 30 seconds.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
And prior to those he did Sicario which is another corker of a film. The soundscapes and tension that builds, never has there been a more exciting traffic jam in cinematic history than Sicario. :D

I watched Sicario a year or so ago, I didn't realise it was a Villeneuve movie. Very good.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Agreed

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Staying close to the subject of Denis Villeneuve films, Arrival is fairly close to the short story 'Story of Your Life' by Ted Chiang. I got bought a collection of Ted's shorts in a book and stumbled upon Story of Your Life, and while set up differently in structure, about 1/4 way in I was 'hang on a damn minute, this is Arrival'.:D

IMDB gives Chiang a writing credit, as it IS based upon his short story.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2543164/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_7

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Watched it last weekend, thoroughly enjoyed it.
It's beautiful to look at, the acting is spot on, story is great. Looking forward to the sequel.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

The Sicario films are ace, in spite of (imho) the dreadful Emily Blunt, which is possibly why I think 2 is even better than 1. The brooding, growling bass track compliments the action and builds the tension so perfectly.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I’m in!

Booked for tomorrow. Enjoyed the books. Actually still quite enjoyed the original attempt at the movie. Even hacked to pieces, there was some trademark David Lynch weirdness in there. Absolutely adored what Villeneuve did with Blade Runner 2049.

Can’t wait.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Its not a "remake" of the old film. Its a new adaption of the book- a huge difference

The big problem is of course is that this isn't atypical star wars type sci fi -all flash bang wallop but no real plot , check brain in at the ticket office and enjoy the ride, this is a complex story with plots, sub plots, political intrigue and social commentary. It requires a full attention span all the way, and it will need a bit of thought.

The most popular movies over the past decade are basically your Marvel,Star Wars, bullshit and bluster shoot em up, escapist nonsense (nothing wrong with that mind) and I suspect this although visually stunning will not be to the taste of a wide audience who are used to not having to actually concentrate on plot, and dialogue and to actually think about what they are seeing

You seem to have a low opinion of other people. Perhaps you are right and this film is only suitable for the highbrow intellectually superior types such as yourself.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
You seem to have a low opinion of other people. Perhaps you are right and this film is only suitable for the highbrow intellectually superior types such as yourself.

How on earth did you get that from my comment? All I said is that the majority of big blockbuster films recently have been of the Marvel Superhero, or Star Wars action and special effects driven genre, which were light on plot - I ma sure you wouldn't disagree on that?

Dune is a very complex story with numerous twists and turns that is far from your average sci fi blockbuster billion £ film. If this film follows the book (which apparently it does) it is likely to appeal to a very different audience than say Avengers Assemble, in exactly the same way that a production of Othello or Swan Lake at a theatre will generally appeal to a very different (though not exclusively) different audience than a musical based on the music of Abba, Queen, etc

Thats not being disparaging about either the productions or the audiences, simply a statement of fact.

An audience going to see Dune expecting a big Sci Fi blockbuster, looking for a bit of escapism will in all probability not find it that. That audience (again not exclusively) are unlikely to return multiple times for a film that is heavy on political and social comment, with multiple arcs and dialogue driven.

As a cinema manger with over a decade of being in charge of multiplex cinemas I have a pretty good idea of what type of film attracts large or smaller and what demographic audiences, it was my job. I wouldn't put an "arthouse" period Merchant Ivory type production in the biggest auditorium and the latest Star Wars in the smallest. That isnt saying I have a low opinion of the Star Wars audience, or saying I think the Merchant Ivory audience were "better" or "highbrow intellectually superior" as you put it , just a reasonable idea of what the audience numbers for each are likely to be, and that the crossover audience is likely to be quarte small

This film is suitable for whoever wants to go and see it, its not a case of having a lower or higher opinion of anyone, its simply a matter of what people want when they go to see a film. There will be a lot less people going to see Dune, than went to see the last Star Wars movie, or the next Marvel one because the film requires a different type of viewing in the same way that more people will go to say a tour of The Rolling Stones than go to a tour of Beethovens 5th symphony

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016

I think it would be a very short thread

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here