Apr 5, 2014

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Anyone who doesn’t live in the area or isn’t from the area, refers to B&H simply just as Brighton and classes it as one big city.

Very true. Hence 'Hove actually'.

It's not a city though really. Historically it's a town. I've always thought of cities as really large historical urban areas such as Manchester, Birmingham etc. It seems odd that it would cover anywhere else with the exception of middle ages places like Ely, Lincoln etc.

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
If this means they now have one too many cities kicking around I'd be more than happy for them to have our status. I've never thought of Brighton & Hove as one city, only two towns.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-58956615

Brighton by itself is bigger than many cities, including Cambridge, Canterbury, Bath, Lincoln, Oxford etc. And now that we don't have different licensing laws so that pubs shut earlier in Hove than Brighton, it doesn't make any sense to think of them as separate towns in any case.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Brighton by itself is bigger than many cities, including Cambridge, Canterbury, Bath, Lincoln, Oxford etc. And now that we don't have different licensing laws so that pubs shut earlier in Hove than Brighton, it doesn't make any sense to think of them as separate towns in any case.

St David's? Population 1,600.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Very true. Hence 'Hove actually'.

It's not a city though really. Historically it's a town. I've always thought of cities as really large historical urban areas such as Manchester, Birmingham etc. It seems odd that it would cover anywhere else with the exception of middle ages places like Ely, Lincoln etc.

You’re arguing against yourself there :smile:

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Yes, but every one you list there, apart from Cambridge, had an ancient charter.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Mark Francois wants Facebook and Twitter dragged into the courts for allowing hate speech, but not the editors of the Mail or Express,

And in other non Southend City news Neil Hamilton has been elected UKIP leader.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Ridiculous political gesturing typical of the PM.

I’d have much preferred one of his wonderful charitable causes to be showered in publicity and money than some sort of Johnsonian vanity project he was involved with. There are dozens of better candidates for becoming a city (not Croydon) than Southend. I wonder if more Tories will get their constituent towns turned into cities now as part of this levelling-up BS they are feeding the electorate?

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Ridiculous political gesturing typical of the PM.

I’d have much preferred one of his wonderful charitable causes to be showered in publicity and money than some sort of Johnsonian vanity project he was involved with. There are dozens of better candidates for becoming a city (not Croydon) than Southend. I wonder if more Tories will get their constituent towns turned into cities now as part of this levelling-up BS they are feeding the electorate?

I'm unsure that the memory of a serving MP is best honoured by a political decision, which this is. It should be something personal. I'm guessing that the others will still be in the mix.

That said, the decisions to make towns cities is a bit of a farce now anyway. There have been 14 in the last 30 years. The previous 14 took a hundred years.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Is there any kind of Brighton vs Hove rivalry in any context?

Yes, people in Hove don’t like being part of Brighton, and Brighton people don’t really give a s**t.
There was a lot of acrimony when they were merged. Personally, I was pretty miffed at the time and now I don’t live there any more, I have joined the “don’t give a s**t brigade”.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here