Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Will the ticket exchange open? - yes it will!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Seems a bit silly, doesn't it?!?

Screenshot 2021-10-01 at 09.45.13.png

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Only just noticed the 1901 availability. Has Barber not managed to pre-sell all the posh tickets this season?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
It's more than silly. Anyone who wants to go with a friend, or take their kids, will want tickets together. It should be open much earlier than this.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
If you click through to those blocks, there doesn't actually seem to be any seats available.
Yes, I did that too. Assumed it needs a phonecall or something but could just be a cock-up that they haven't been blacked out on the stadium map.

Presumably Barber, or more likely someone else employed by the club FT or as consultant, IS very expert in the mechanics of maximising revenue from ticket sales. The scenario (stadium nearly sold out and STs wanting to exchange) is very common worldwide now so there must be some decent evidence around.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
65 seats is £2600 I expect or thereabouts.

Meanwhile cashed strapped ST holders who can't go, also can't get a bit back for their ticket, likewise as mentioned above, families or mates can't get a ticket for others even if just in the same stand so at least they can meet on the same concourse.

Really short-sighted policy this one. I understand they want to sell all their available tickets, get that entirely. The question really is to what point are those last sales counter productive to the benefits to existing ST holders, and fans who might not be buying because they can't get in the stand they want?

Getting down to say the last 200 tickets, should trigger the exchange really. It helps a lot of fans, got to be worth more than the last few tickets you sell.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
65 seats is £2600 I expect or thereabouts.

Meanwhile cashed strapped ST holders who can't go, also can't get a bit back for their ticket, likewise as mentioned above, families or mates can't get a ticket for others even if just in the same stand so at least they can meet on the same concourse.

Really short-sighted policy this one. I understand they want to sell all their available tickets, get that entirely. The question really is to what point are those last sales counter productive to the benefits to existing ST holders, and fans who might not be buying because they can't get in the stand they want?

Getting down to say the last 200 tickets, should trigger the exchange really. It helps a lot of fans, got to be worth more than the last few tickets you sell.
That's pretty much what I would have thought.

But I guess the key thing we don't really know is the current elasticity of demand for STs. Presumably Barber & Co are sufficiently bullish that going forward they don't need to look after STs by more favourable use of the Ticket Exchange...?

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Yes, I did that too. Assumed it needs a phonecall or something but could just be a cock-up that they haven't been blacked out on the stadium map.

Presumably Barber, or more likely someone else employed by the club FT or as consultant, IS very expert in the mechanics of maximising revenue from ticket sales. The scenario (stadium nearly sold out and STs wanting to exchange) is very common worldwide now so there must be some decent evidence around.

I doubt you need a consultant, algorithm or the mechanics of maximising revenues to work it out. If the average ticket price for Saturday is say £40, then 100 tickets left is £4000.

If the club doesn't make any money on the exchange, or not in comparison to outright sales, then it really is a simple choice by the club - do we forgo the revenue lost on sales for the convenience and flexibility we offer ST holders and those buying the exchange tickets in areas they want.

I suggested the exchange opens at 200 tickets so £8000k potentially. Or you could make it that if a stand sells out, the exchange opens for that stand once the total number of tickets left drops to a certain number. Could be a number of ways you think about it once you've hit your sales target.

At the moment the club wants to sell all it's tickets, but like now you have 60 odd available mainly in West Lower. So you may well have the situation of trying to shift 60 tickets, but you might have 200 customers wanting to go, but not wanting to be in West Lower. So the balance is whether the lost revenue is worth the new customers coming in anyway, and the convenience to ST holders not able to go but getting a bit back on their ticket.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
That's pretty much what I would have thought.

But I guess the key thing we don't really know is the current elasticity of demand for STs. Presumably Barber & Co are sufficiently bullish that going forward they don't need to look after STs by more favourable use of the Ticket Exchange...?

Yep, at the end of the day, it is their choice. They may feel that supporter's knowing the exchange will open won't feel pressured into buying remaining tickets and will wait for the exchange - so there are forces at work that likely influence their thinking.

Playing the other side of the argument, someone buying a ticket yesterday in a stand / area they didn't really want but that was all that was left may well be a bit p$ssed off today if the exchange opens and there are tickets available everywhere - I'd be a bit peeved if that happened.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I was thinking more concessions to average out what those last 100 sales might be. I think U18 is £30, U10 is £20 or something.

Also 16.7% of what you pay for a ticket is VAT that the club has to pay over to HMRC. The club does however employ people that are leading experts in terms of 'monetisation' of fans, so you've got to assume that they know what they're doing.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Also 16.7% of what you pay for a ticket is VAT that the club has to pay over to HMRC. The club does however employ people that are leading experts in terms of 'monetisation' of fans, so you've got to assume that they know what they're doing.

Absolutely. I don't think the points I've been making questions their ability to monetise the fans. :lolol:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The club seem to have found some East Upper and East Lower seats down the back of the sofa.

Is [MENTION=205]Tom Hark, Preston Park[/MENTION] working in the ticketing department now?

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
Looks as though the Club are finding more and more vacant seats now....

I would be surprised if the Club chose to open up the Ticket Exchange for this game as they really won't want to "publish to the world" the number of STH who are willing to sell their tickets. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong.

Out of reference, I live in Hampshire, previously paid to use the Sussex University Car Park, have no diesel in my tank (and local stations are empty too!) so would have to get two buses to my local train station and then spend hours on the train... what would you do in my situation?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Looks as though the Club are finding more and more vacant seats now....

I would be surprised if the Club chose to open up the Ticket Exchange for this game as they really won't want to "publish to the world" the number of STH who are willing to sell their tickets. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong.
You'll only be wrong if all the newly found seats get sold quite quickly today. Otherwise you are absolutely right that maintaining the perception of excess demand and scarcity is VERY important to the club's strategy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here