Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Nervousness?

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
When I start to lose perspective and too excited about football I find it helps to really focus on what football actually is. 22 people trying to kick a child's toy into nets. That alone is funny behaviour. Add to it 30,000 people gathered all around to watch them do it. View it like a nature program: how would Mr Attenborough describe the whole ludicrous event? If by that point I'm still unbalanced I try thinking of how much harder life has been and often still is for many people, in war or famine or depression, etc.

If that fails, I dig out my Ladybird book of Challenging *****.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
This, and I know it's only after SIX games, but to see Brighton top of the table would be surreal...

I remember the FA Cup final, when we were one up against United at half time and I said to my Dad, get a picture of that scoreboard, as you won't see that again - wind forward nearly 40 years and it could be screenshots!!!

I'm just hoping we can go 0-1 up. At least then I can screenshot the "as it stands" table :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
For me I get so bloody nervous before brighton games it takes away my enjoyment. I've always had it and takes me ages to get over the emotional roller coaster before and after a game. So tmorow is a bloody nite mare for me, I can't watch games at the moment ,so il be constantly watching the league tables during the game.

I'm already diagnosed with something but these feelings I don't like coz they are so intense and real.

BTW meditation and breathing exercises and praying don't work so I'm left to live with it. I used to stand in North Stand at goldstone and lob all my loose change away on the floor if there was a late goal against us, and loosing has always taking me ages to get rid of in my head.

I also pace up and down my room at home, can't afford to go to amex atm and don't enjoy it like I used to, but still have massive passion for the albion and is still a massive part of my life emotionally.

Bloody hell I'm rambling I think. Regards

Mate, I feel for you. I have had to actively mitigate against this all my life (and have good skills now). The game is, however, the only thing I can think about presently...

My strategy when young was to 'not care' about football. After I turned 40 it got a bit more real, with regular home and away attendance. So, now what I do is to assume we will lose, even if we are leading in the 94th minute. Anything after that is a bonus.

Best wishes :thumbsup:

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I used to be very similar but spent the pandemic trying to reduce my emotional investment in it all. It still comes back in the excitement of a game but I don't get the huge nerves before a game or down periods after a loss as before.

It's something you need to actively work on, it's just a game and life is too short.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You should absolutely NOT look up Beta Blockers - you should consult your Doctor. If they prescribe them then fine but different medication affects different people with different conditions in different ways.

Absolutely! Beta blockers are prescription drugs that knock out half the sympathetic nervous system. Because I can be an excitable chap (especially so when I was younger) my doctoral supervisor thought it would be interesting to give me a beta blocker before I gave a presentation at a science meeting. It stopped the heart racing and the sweaty palms. Consequently I felt chilled. My talk was so dulll that not one person asked me a question during 'five minutes for questions. Never again.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What is there to be nervous about ?

Win, lose or draw we are streets ahead of where we all thought we would be at this point in the season.

If we lose (or draw) it will be disappointing to think that we could have bragged about being top for a few days. That's all, really. But I still want that....rather a lot.

Our start has been brilliant and hopefully it will be a whole month of defeats before I start to worry again.

That's October sorted, then :facepalm:

:lolol:

JVacation

Jul 19, 2019
Something is definitely happening at Brighton. Something this season has seemed to just clicked amongst the players and manager. In reality we have top players in their position which teams haven't realised and the players themselves haven't realised yet which really helps with egos. As long as Brighton play with confidence and trust in the system then I expect a comfortable win at Palace.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Just remember that whatever the result on Monday, the worst outcome is that we will be SIXTH in the premier league.9 points clear of the relegation zone, more wins than the bottom 8 COMBINED, more points and wins , and fewer losses than we have ever had after 6 games in the top flight, have spent more time in the champions league places this season than Arsenal have in the last 2 or 3 years COMBINED (i think im right there), and will be a minimum of FIVE places above Palace, and I think, have'nt been out of a European place after each completed round ALL SEASON,

All of that is the worst possible outcome following Mondays game- now- if at the start of this campaign anyone had offered that scenario we would all have bitten their hands off

Nervous/ No, excited with the possibility of seeing Albion at the top of the table- OMFG yes

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
For me I get so bloody nervous before brighton games it takes away my enjoyment. I've always had it and takes me ages to get over the emotional roller coaster before and after a game. So tmorow is a bloody nite mare for me, I can't watch games at the moment ,so il be constantly watching the league tables during the game.

I'm already diagnosed with something but these feelings I don't like coz they are so intense and real.

BTW meditation and breathing exercises and praying don't work so I'm left to live with it. I used to stand in North Stand at goldstone and lob all my loose change away on the floor if there was a late goal against us, and loosing has always taking me ages to get rid of in my head.

I also pace up and down my room at home, can't afford to go to amex atm and don't enjoy it like I used to, but still have massive passion for the albion and is still a massive part of my life emotionally.

Bloody hell I'm rambling I think. Regards

If you don't mind me asking, is this part of a larger mental health condition?

Touch wood I'm not generally an anxious person but I must admit I feel more anxious before Palace games than any other. But I remind myself it's just not that important. I'm a middle aged man and I've got more important things to worry about. And as others have said we have had a blistering start to the season and will probably finish above them for once, which would be nice :)

Last edited:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Something is definitely happening at Brighton. Something this season has seemed to just clicked amongst the players and manager. In reality we have top players in their position which teams haven't realised and the players themselves haven't realised yet which really helps with egos. As long as Brighton play with confidence and trust in the system then I expect a comfortable win at Palace.

As GP has said several times now.
It's just small margins, they were going against us last season and have been going for us this season.

Nothing has clicked, in fact I would say we aren't playing anywhere near as well as we were at the start of last season.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Palace have managed to sign a few decent players Gallagher in particular looks like a excellent player and one Bissouma must shut down early doors, I'm not nervous at all about the game whatever happens we will be top 6 after 6 and absolutely nobody can be disappointed with that.

Anyway 0-2 Dunk & Wellbeck and if there was a MOTD 3 we'd probably still be on last.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Absolutely! Beta blockers are prescription drugs that knock out half the sympathetic nervous system. Because I can be an excitable chap (especially so when I was younger) my doctoral supervisor thought it would be interesting to give me a beta blocker before I gave a presentation at a science meeting. It stopped the heart racing and the sweaty palms. Consequently I felt chilled. My talk was so dulll that not one person asked me a question during 'five minutes for questions. Never again.

They all had you on their ignore list?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

No way Pedro. In fact **** right off with a point! Give up the chance to go top through fear of losing? You need to choose a different sport if that’s your attitude!

But what if we finish up at the end of the season one point from safety, having gone for bust and conceded a 94th minute winner tomorrow?

And if my old mum had had a cock and balls, she'd have been my dad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here