Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Solar Together Sussex

Gotsmanov

Aug 13, 2003
Brighton
We signed up to the one in London earlier in the year and tbh I don't think it matters how many sign up to it, you'll get a bog standard third off from whichever company wins the contract. They give you a rough estimate of what a couple of systems will cost you and then you have to pay £100 deposit before they'll come and do a survey to give you a final report on how many panels you can have. I did a bit of research and comparison with a few other independent installers and the panels the ST scheme were offering were a fair bit less powerful than the latest ones out there, as if they'd got a load of old panels they were trying to get rid of. So in the end went with an independent. Cost maybe £500 more, but got the latest tech and panels available on the market.

I ended up with a 10 panels system (6 South facing, 4 west facing), inverter, installation including scaffolding for about £4500. I decided against a battery, as wanted to see how much our system would benefit from it, so running the system for a year to see what happens/savings we make. Battery prices are coming down all the time and tech is improving them, so no harm in waiting, most are pretty much plug and play these days. So far since June we've cut our electric bill in half at least, by two thirds in June and July. Exporting we've got back about £60 in 3 months so far. I'm happy I have to say, feels good not being beholden to the Grid so much, just need a slight change in mindset to set things like the dishwasher and washing machine away during the day, rather than over night.
What were the latest tech and panel models / makes that you went for?

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
What were the latest tech and panel models / makes that you went for?

They installed 10 495w JAM66S30-495/MR solar panels, but I think they've been superceded by a 505w one now. The Inverter is a Growatt, think it's the 750-3000s, but not 100% sure. I expect I could've gotten more expensive tech, but I had a budget and that's the best that seemed to come up time and again in my price range.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Every little helps obviously but it’s folly to believe renewables can meet our energy needs in anywhere near the timelines needed. Currently provides about 2%, it’s literally impossible for this to grow exponentially to replace coal, gas, nuclear, oil generated electricity never mind factoring in the demand generated by more cars switching to. We really are in big trouble. The better question is to ask how can I reduce my energy consumption rather than replace with a different source. Hence things like Insulate protests. But your energy consumption isn’t just what you get billed for from utilities. It’s in everything you buy. Including all that crap you don’t need that keeps the economy turning, but the world burning. So the even better question is, how do I reduce my consumption? The answer really is to lower your standard of living, all those things that make life good, easy, convenient…that you’ve grown used to and like most people would never give up. Which is why we’re screwed and waiting for politicians to come up with solutions is never going to happen. As the past 30 years have proved. Nothing has been achieved to stem climate change. It will be left to Mother Nature to call the shots and eg kill of billions of us via war, famine, fire and pestilence. The fun’s really going to kick off in about 2030-35. I would hate to born today. The shitstorm coming down the tracks for that generation really is scary. Anyway, perhaps you’re better off just accepting there’s nothing you can do to stop things, save your money, there’s more than enough fossil fuel electricity for many more decades to come, and spend your money on something nice like a holiday instead. It’s all very laudable but it ain’t going make any difference to climate change and your payback period for making the investment is a long one in terms of cheaper energy.

Gotsmanov

Aug 13, 2003
Brighton
They installed 10 495w JAM66S30-495/MR solar panels, but I think they've been superceded by a 505w one now. The Inverter is a Growatt, think it's the 750-3000s, but not 100% sure. I expect I could've gotten more expensive tech, but I had a budget and that's the best that seemed to come up time and again in my price range.
Super helpful, thank you

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Every little helps obviously but it’s folly to believe renewables can meet our energy needs in anywhere near the timelines needed. Currently provides about 2%, it’s literally impossible for this to grow exponentially to replace coal, gas, nuclear, oil generated electricity never mind factoring in the demand generated by more cars switching to. We really are in big trouble. The better question is to ask how can I reduce my energy consumption rather than replace with a different source. Hence things like Insulate protests. But your energy consumption isn’t just what you get billed for from utilities. It’s in everything you buy. Including all that crap you don’t need that keeps the economy turning, but the world burning. So the even better question is, how do I reduce my consumption? The answer really is to lower your standard of living, all those things that make life good, easy, convenient…that you’ve grown used to and like most people would never give up. Which is why we’re screwed and waiting for politicians to come up with solutions is never going to happen. As the past 30 years have proved. Nothing has been achieved to stem climate change. It will be left to Mother Nature to call the shots and eg kill of billions of us via war, famine, fire and pestilence. The fun’s really going to kick off in about 2030-35. I would hate to born today. The shitstorm coming down the tracks for that generation really is scary. Anyway, perhaps you’re better off just accepting there’s nothing you can do to stop things, save your money, there’s more than enough fossil fuel electricity for many more decades to come, and spend your money on something nice like a holiday instead. It’s all very laudable but it ain’t going make any difference to climate change and your payback period for making the investment is a long one in terms of cheaper energy.

Interested in your statistics for that, i though the US was up to about 20% of their electricity generated by renewables, in the UK 2021 renewables had a 41% share of power generated. I think some of the big investors and companies who were behind the UKs big nuclear projects have pulled out or gone on hold. Rolls Royce’s SMRs looks a more likely route now given renewables are proving a success. Viable large scale battery storage could be a game changer.

kano

Jun 17, 2011

Ill just leave this here.... https://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
Note sure how many on here registered their interest in this, having received our quotation the prices seem a little on the high side, but I need to research the details of the suggested configurations provided, and do some calculations, and wondered what any others thought?

I'm not optimistic that Dishi-Rishi will be able to pull any grants or offers from the budget magic-hat next week, to help homeowners.

Last edited:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I put 4k array on my roof 3½ years ago for £10k - put it on my mortgage and paid off in full after 2 years.

Last month had a man round to talk about battery harvesting surplus rather that back to the grid.
Battery is £4½ k so I gave it a swerve but I'm expecting the Lithium-Ion batteries to dive in cost when the EV market starts to kick in big.
And tech is getting better in this area too so when they get to £1k in 3 years I'll be back in the game.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
I put 4k array on my roof 3½ years ago for £10k - put it on my mortgage and paid off in full after 2 years.

Last month had a man round to talk about battery harvesting surplus rather that back to the grid.
Battery is £4½ k so I gave it a swerve but I'm expecting the Lithium-Ion batteries to dive in cost when the EV market starts to kick in big.
And tech is getting better in this area too so when they get to £1k in 3 years I'll be back in the game.

Same here, the battery cost was prohibitive, but they're coming down all the time, so hopefully in a few years they'll be much more affordable.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Note sure how many on here registered their interest in this, having received our quotation the prices seem a little on the high side, but I need to research the details of the suggested configurations provided, and do some calculations, and wondered what any others thought?

I'm not optimistic that Dishi-Rishi will be able to pull any grants or offers from the budget magic-hat next week, to help homeowners.

I have received my quote and looks fairly good. I too will have a look around at other options but I am tempted to get this done as I suspect that the demand for solar panel installation will go through the roof (hopefully not literally) over the next year. Quote for adding a 6kWh battery is £2,700 which again seems not outrageous.

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
I have received my quote and looks fairly good. I too will have a look around at other options but I am tempted to get this done as I suspect that the demand for solar panel installation will go through the roof (hopefully not literally) over the next year. Quote for adding a 6kWh battery is £2,700 which again seems not outrageous.

Really? if I add the 3.2 kWw battery on my quote, then it is not that much less than your quoted £2,700 for a 6kWh, if I select the 6.4 kWh battery then that is just short of an additional £3,500.

As the company is local, I'm guessing that there may be some employees who maybe members of NSC.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Really? if I add the 3.2 kWw battery on my quote, then it is not that much less than your quoted £2,700 for a 6kWh, if I select the 6.4 kWh battery then that is just short of an additional £3,500.

As the company is local, I'm guessing that there may be some employees who maybe members of NSC.

Mine is a "personal recommendation" rather than an actual quote and there is no option for 3.2 or 6.4, just 3, 6 and 9. Perhaps we are looking at different things?

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
I have received my quote and am thoroughly underwhelmed, according to them the installation will cost over 4K and I will save £153 a year on my energy bill and get £128 back through feed in tariff. If thats the case then whats the point? Or am I missing something?!

Screenshot 2021-10-20 at 18.39.52.png

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
I have received my quote and am thoroughly underwhelmed, according to them the installation will cost over 4K and I will save £153 a year on my energy bill and get £128 back through feed in tariff. If thats the case then whats the point? Or am I missing something?!

With the feed in tariff and the saving, your net gain is £280.00/year so over the 25 year life of the system you will have a net gain of £7,000. Of course if you put £4,000 in the bank for 25 years you would probably make more but at the same time, energy may become more expensive (but with the dramatic reduction of the cost of wind it may become cheaper...)

From a strictly financial point of view, there is probably not an absolute case for getting solar power but if it helps to diversify your energy supply then it is certainly worth considering.

And of course you will get a warm, fuzzy feeling from saving the planet.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

Yeah, basically you're a few years too late. My system cost a little over £6k to install, but we're getting the bills saving plus a more lucrative feed in rate. This last year has been a bad year for solar, but even so we got £660 back from exporting. And we'd still get it even if we installed a battery, because the old system works on an assumption of 50% back to the grid but is actually unmetered (probably why they stopped doing it - such a massive and obvious loophole!)

I would, however, suggest waiting a bit. With the current green push it's possible the government might put some more money back into encouraging solar take up. It's already looking likely that heat pumps are going to get some money put behind them.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Yeah, basically you're a few years too late. My system cost a little over £6k to install, but we're getting the bills saving plus a more lucrative feed in rate. This last year has been a bad year for solar, but even so we got £660 back from exporting. And we'd still get it even if we installed a battery, because the old system works on an assumption of 50% back to the grid but is actually unmetered (probably why they stopped doing it - such a massive and obvious loophole!)

I would, however, suggest waiting a bit. With the current green push it's possible the government might put some more money back into encouraging solar take up. It's already looking likely that heat pumps are going to get some money put behind them.

Good advice, I really can't see the benefit at the moment and the government surely has to do more to encourage the uptake of solar and particularly in combination with battery storage.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Good advice, I really can't see the benefit at the moment and the government surely has to do more to encourage the uptake of solar and particularly in combination with battery storage.

They should. But do you really think they will. They've committed to 30k a year on heat pumps. I don't quite get why expectations are high for a technology that is more established.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
They should. But do you really think they will. They've committed to 30k a year on heat pumps. I don't quite get why expectations are high for a technology that is more established.

Well I think if they want to switch from fossil to renewables, hit CO2 targets and avoid the types of price hikes we have seen recently then more drastic action will need to be taken at some point but you are right...who knows what this government will do!

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
My recommendation has arrived and although the overall cost is reasonable the break even time based on current energy prices looks excessive .

11.3 years for 8 panels or 13.8 years for the panels with battery storage added assuming the batteries last that long .

Of course the savings will increase as energy costs rise but if the roof ever needs repairs then the panels will need to be removed first wiping out any savings .

Still intrigued though and have signed up for the online presentation Q&A session .

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-10-23 at 10-33-40 Personal recommendation Hastings Borough Council.png
    Screenshot 2021-10-23 at 10-33-40 Personal recommendation Hastings Borough Council.png
    60.3 KB · Views: 95

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here