Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Good news for Sussex fans

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
You are clearly a glass half full person Moshe, and full credit for your positivity.

I’m not so sure about the youngsters. Some of the performances have to be put into context regarding the calibre of opposition. Derby won one match this season. We’ve taken just 34 wickets in our last 4 matches (in bottom league). Middx set all sorts of records against us.

Brown and Haines scored over 2000 runs between them. I suspect no one else was anywhere near.
Agreed a bit. But the nice chilled lager still in my glass relies on the extreme youthfulness as well as quality of the performances achieved. Div3 of champo was a low standard but Archie in T20 was very good and they also got picked for Eng U19.

(Also, I'm counting Haines as young.)

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I interviewed a key member of the 2003 Championship side last week, with regret he stated that if the current team played them in 100 games, the 2003 would win 50 by an innings, 40 in excess of 150 runs and just win the other 10.

Big call, but unfortunately not that far off the mark.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Brown and Haines scored over 2000 runs between them. I suspect no one else was anywhere near.

Orr scored 548 runs in just seven games. He has an average of just under 40: for a kid playing his first few games that's astonishingly good. I bet Haines and Brown's averages after seven games were half of that

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I interviewed a key member of the 2003 Championship side last week, with regret he stated that if the current team played them in 100 games, the 2003 would win 50 by an innings, 40 in excess of 150 runs and just win the other 10.

Big call, but unfortunately not that far off the mark.
Did anyone make the equally interesting and hilarious observation that would be despite the 2003 team being mostly in their mid-40s and Mushy over 50....?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Did anyone make the equally interesting and hilarious observation that would be despite the 2003 team being mostly in their mid-40s and Mushy over 50....?

I think that's the Don Bradman joke isn't it?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Agreed a bit. But the nice chilled lager still in my glass relies on the extreme youthfulness as well as quality of the performances achieved. Div3 of champo was a low standard but Archie in T20 was very good and they also got picked for Eng U19.

(Also, I'm counting Haines as young.)

Several cricket sages have said Sussex have a crop of particularly gifted young players.
Writing them all off by saying there have been no positives this season, is a bit silly imo.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I think that's the Don Bradman joke isn't it?
It's a rather lame offering of uncertain origin - but, yes, applied to Bradman amongst others.

Usually employed by old gits making pointless comparisons at the expense of current young performers.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Meanwhile Hampshire, with their lovely Test ground, are going for the Championship. Just think, they used to be the same level as us with their quaint little ground in Northlands Road. Now comparing us is like comparing the Albion with Aldershot.

Maybe this is the Faustian pact us Sussex folk have made. 'You can have your Premier League football team, but your cricket team will be eternally damned'

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
3 down at Edgbaston now.

Woakes and Bresnan economy rates bringing the draw into the equation but Robbo's Warwickshire are looking good.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Several cricket sages have said Sussex have a crop of particularly gifted young players.
Writing them all off by saying there have been no positives this season, is a bit silly imo.

I don’t disagree with that and as Gwylan points out Orr had a good first season with the bat. Collectively, as the results and table show, we were the worst first class team in the country (red ball).

Is the only way up or is there still further to fall.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
7 down.

Another winners medal for Robbo looming.

Well deserved - excellent coach.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I don’t disagree with that and as Gwylan points out Orr had a good first season with the bat. Collectively, as the results and table show, we were the worst first class team in the country (red ball).

Is the only way up or is there still further to fall.

The last few games were very worrying indeed - getting smashed to pieces by the perennial whipping boys.
I also think Steve Finn is a bad signing - we are paying for the name, and what he was. Big deal, if he’s experienced. Bottom line is Hes not good enough to take wickets anymore. Without Robinson, we need a spearhead.
I hope we can attract someone new , who’s above our current station, with the prospect of captaincy. We would need another marquee signing on top off that.
Even with all of that, we will be bottom third.
That’s the way of it for the time being. But with these young players, there will be highlights.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
In the context of this thread a very interesting passage of commentary on the Warwickshire v Somerset stream just now explaining how Warwickshire have bought the County Championship title.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
In the context of this thread a very interesting passage of commentary on the Warwickshire v Somerset stream just now explaining how Warwickshire have bought the County Championship title.

It’s not a guarantee.
You can spend more and achieve less (Notts, Surrey……)

I can’t work out if I’m pleased for Danny Briggs or not. I’m leaning towards not.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
It’s not a guarantee.
You can spend more and achieve less (Notts, Surrey……)

I can’t work out if I’m pleased for Danny Briggs or not. I’m leaning towards not.
Agreed. Obviously not a guarantee as there are several counties trying to do the same thing and only one title. Warwickshire spent their money well including on Mark Robinson.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here