Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Energy crisis

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Some mistake here surely. You have posted an article about state ownership of utilities with which I agree completely. I think you meant to post one about European companies subsidizing home markets with profits made in the UK ? I don’t know much about that and simply challenged you earlier in the thread to back this up. You still haven’t. Don’t know where you get ‘evasive’ from. Why would I be ? I am just trying to share my experience on a forum. If you aren’t interested just put me on ignore. I am not upset at all but I do think you are rather rude as I have attempted to answer all of your questions politely even though they haven’t really been that ‘pertinent.’ If you are still talking about ‘our’ gas then you just don’t understand markets.
I do think its you that has been rude going by your previous replies

Sorry, thought you were well up on state owned /foreign energy companies that own overseas ( UK ) energy companies. those such as below....https://www.lovemoney.com/guides/22...y is,1946 and became a public company in 2004.

I'm posting this for reference as I'm sure you are aware of the linkages to european energy companies already.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
so the reason Germany have the most expensive electricity and gas normally, is so they dont have to pay more in a time like this? sound planning that. bit awkward then that they are having the same problems there https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/german-households-face-115-rise-gas-bills-2021-09-20/ and thats before we get onto their continued use of coal as backup power.

that article didnt really say what you think it said, keen to prompt public ownership without showing how that made any difference, leaving you to infer its so much better.

The link is an article about only 300,000 households though; are you aware there’s over 40 million households here?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I do think its you that has been rude going by your previous replies

Sorry, thought you were well up on state owned /foreign energy companies that own overseas ( UK ) energy companies. those such as below....https://www.lovemoney.com/guides/22...y is,1946 and became a public company in 2004.

I'm posting this for reference as I'm sure you are aware of the linkages to european energy companies already.

Reference for what ? This is getting a bit surreal and tiresome. That article also does not back up your claim about European energy companies subsidizing their home customers at the expense of UK customers. I am very open to you doing so, as I have said I don’t know much about it. All you have done though is simply post something that describes foreign ownership of various companies. So what ? If you can’t back up your claim perhaps you need to say so and we can move on. This thread is about the energy crisis not half baked conspiracy theories about foreigners.

D

Deleted member 22389

Reference for what ? This is getting a bit surreal and tiresome. That article also does not back up your claim about European energy companies subsidizing their home customers at the expense of UK customers. I am very open to you doing so, as I have said I don’t know much about it. All you have done though is simply post something that describes foreign ownership of various companies. So what ? If you can’t back up your claim perhaps you need to say so and we can move on. This thread is about the energy crisis not half baked conspiracy theories about foreigners.

:thumbsup:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
As a now former Avro fixed customer awaiting transfer to somewhere more expensive, looks like the very young fella who set it up and his old man have some questions to answer.

He started Avro at just age 20 and at age 27 its collapsed with millions having been syphoned into other family owned companies??

Me thinks the court may beckon Mr Jake Brown.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/avro-energy-sent-money-to-firms-run-by-owners-x328n95qj

https://www.cityam.com/avro-energy-used-by-boss-to-pump-cash-into-family-firms/

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
All I know is that my bill has just literally doubled. My fix is coming to an end, so 2 days ago I started looking around. £147pm was the cheapest fix. I went back today as I'm now within the no exit charges & the cheapest fix I can get is £173pm.

Am I missing something double £147 would be £294.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Am I missing something double £147 would be £294.

It's doubled from the just £80ish I was paying. The £147 was the 1st quote, 2 days later when I went to switch the cheapest fix had increased to £173. The doubling up, is on what I've been paying for the last 2 years on a fix.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Well that went well.

I was with Igloo Energy (who are about to go bust by all accounts), who kept landing exponential price rises on me.

A month ago I moved to Avro Energy, who a few minutes ago went into Administration.

Just announced bud, we're off to Octopus.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-10030177/Avro-Energy-customers-moved-Octopus-need-know.html

fwiw, I've been looking at them as the old man uses them, pretty competitive and Martin Lewis the other day recommended them on R5L (as the only provider doing a fixed less than cap - £50 less)

Theyve also been making noises about buying BULB, so sounds like theyre not presently potless.

https://octopus.energy/avro/

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Just announced bud, we're off to Octopus.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-10030177/Avro-Energy-customers-moved-Octopus-need-know.html

fwiw, I've been looking at them as the old man uses them, pretty competitive and Martin Lewis the other day recommended them on R5L (as the only provider doing a fixed less than cap - £50 less)

Theyve also been making noises about buying BULB, so sounds like theyre not presently potless.

https://octopus.energy/avro/

Thanks, in this marketplace, that’s definitely relatively good news. Before the crisis Octopus had a good reputation and keen pricing.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I work for igloo and as yet we haven't gone bust. Clinging on for dear life, but not bust yet. Not going to lie, work is incredibly hard going at the moment. Looking to escape it with a win tonight lol

We were Igloo customers until about 90 minutes ago, but they've just gone under.
[MENTION=21578]Worthingite[/MENTION] Hope you come out of this ok mate.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
We were Igloo customers until about 90 minutes ago, but they've just gone under.

[MENTION=21578]Worthingite[/MENTION] Hope you come out of this ok mate.

Thanks mate. What a day. If there is anyone in here that is an igloo customer, our phone lines will be open, but there may be a wait to get through. Please be patient and kind, we'll be doing the best we can.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I can't remember for certain, but, I seem to recall there were some significant, valid, concerns regarding that proposed scheme.

Cost of building the barrage and the environmental damage which would have had to be compensated for scuppered the much bigger Severn barrage. Now we are out of the EU, despite the promises of the Government to strengthen environmental law and policies, we can presumably ignore compensation requirements of the Habitat and Birds Directives. An alternative set of smaller barrages around the Severn estuary (inc Swansea) would have caused less environmental damage but generated less power. The problem with Swansea was that the promoter had a record of grandiose schemes and promises but not delivering them.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
We were Avro but have been moved to Octopus Energy.

likewise and [MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION] too.

says their tarrif will be cheaper by £10 than the cap/standard variable rate, cheaper than current fixed rates,and they claim cheaper than you can find at any of the big 6??

But still no price per kwh announced for either Gas or Elec to us Avro imports? dont really want to move but will certainly check those claims as I found a deal with Eon through Martin Lewis site that based on my kwh usage per year was a bit cheaper? but need to compare the kwh prices and standing charges.

Octopus claim you wont be able to move until November or if you try it will likely fail, they look like a pretty cool company, like what I see, but price will ultimately dictate. Will be them or one of the big 6, no more small providers for the forseeable future.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

says their tarrif will be cheaper by £10 than the cap/standard variable rate, cheaper than current fixed rates,and they claim cheaper than you can find at any of the big 6??

But still no price per kwh announced for either Gas or Elec to us Avro imports? dont really want to move but will certainly check those claims as I found a deal with Eon through Martin Lewis site that based on my kwh usage per year was a bit cheaper? but need to compare the kwh prices and standing charges.

Octopus claim you wont be able to move until November or if you try it will likely fail, they look like a pretty cool company, like what I see, but price will ultimately dictate. Will be them or one of the big 6, no more small providers for the forseeable future.

In the real world of cold hard cash, at this moment in this household we can bear the huge price increases. Making this bit of a first world issue.

I felt so sorry when watching TV this morning for folk on prepay now having to choose what time of the day they have the heating on, there was an older couple where one has terminal cancer.

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

We're in exactly the same boat. Still waiting for the actual Kwh and standing charge price of the new tariff we're to be moved to. Ultimately, those are the only prices that really matter when it comes to looking for the cheapest deals.

Whatever happens, with prices as they are, looks almost certain we're going to be paying more than the tariff we left Avro with. The 12 month fix I got with Avro at the beginning of September was already about a third more than the fix I had with them the year before. And it was still the cheapest I could find!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here