Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Energy crisis

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Later this week / early next could get interesting. If Bulb can't find a benefactor to keep them going, it looks like they're going to become the biggest collapse yet. Will be interesting to see how the government reacts if Bulb does go under.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Later this week / early next could get interesting. If Bulb can't find a benefactor to keep them going, it looks like they're going to become the biggest collapse yet. Will be interesting to see how the government reacts if Bulb does go under.

The bulbs could be going out this winter, it could get that serious

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
My provider tried to up my direct debit from £81 to £98 a month based on "estimated potential usage over winter", despite it being a fixed rate tariff.

I told them to get lost, so they abandoned that idea.

Global warming innit.....

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I'd say 90% of people want to do the right thing but unless it's made easy and doesn't cost us, ain't gonna change.

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

goldstone rocks

Feb 25, 2009
CNG a shipper of gas to domestic market has withdrawn their licence and this is contributing to smaller domestic suppliers going under. They have now announced to Ofgem that they require "supplier of last resort" for all their commercial customers as they are going under, first in the commercial sector

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
My provider tried to up my direct debit from £81 to £98 a month based on "estimated potential usage over winter", despite it being a fixed rate tariff.

I told them to get lost, so they abandoned that idea.

Global warming innit.....

there's nothing particularly unusual or nefarious with them trying to increase your DD on a fixed.
Your price per KWH is fixed, your usage isnt, if you use more than they estimated you might use, they could certainly try and bump up the DD to cover it.

If your usage hasnt changed and theyre doing it to simply try and hold your cash in their bank without reason (and they do often try it on) thats defo worthy of a "get lost"!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
CNG a shipper of gas to domestic market has withdrawn their licence and this is contributing to smaller domestic suppliers going under. They have now announced to Ofgem that they require "supplier of last resort" for all their commercial customers as they are going under, first in the commercial sector

thats a pretty big deal and we're only start of Nov with worst of winter ahead combined with inevitable further, energy unit cost price rises. Domino effect could start.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
there's nothing particularly unusual or nefarious with them trying to increase your DD on a fixed.
Your price per KWH is fixed, your usage isnt, if you use more than they estimated you might use, they could certainly try and bump up the DD to cover it.

If your usage hasnt changed and theyre doing it to simply try and hold your cash in their bank without reason (and they do often try it on) thats defo worthy of a "get lost"!
The story they gave me was that their automated email didn't take account of the £300 (or whatever the actual figure is) I am currently in credit because I haven't put the heating on yet (much).

You would have thought their algorithm would be able to cope with ongoing balances on accounts, but apparently not. To be fair to the woman on the phone, she stopped the increase without any problem.

I have seen media stories somewhere of firms trying to increase DDs regardless of actual usage to try and cover their cash flow, given they are loosing money on the fixed deals.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
The story they gave me was that their automated email didn't take account of the £300 (or whatever the actual figure is) I am currently in credit because I haven't put the heating on yet (much).

You would have thought their algorithm would be able to cope with ongoing balances on accounts, but apparently not. To be fair to the woman on the phone, she stopped the increase without any problem.

I have seen media stories somewhere of firms trying to increase DDs regardless of actual usage to try and cover their cash flow, given they are loosing money on the fixed deals.

It isn't Bulb is it? I had similar issues when I was with them (left a little over a year ago) where they kept wanting to up my DD to dozens of £ more than necessary (and I have the data to prove it - I keep an excel sheet with my monthly bills and a rolling 12 month average so I know exactly what my DD should be). And then my new provider used my first 3-4 months (winter) usage with them to justify a massive increase in DD even though I told them my summer usage would be way lower than they assume because I've got solar. It's now settled down and they've reduced the DD back to where it was originally.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I'm on Bulb - been keeping screenshots of my account usage and payments since this crisis started. Seemed sensible.

You got smart meters? And if so, are they both working correctly? Mine weren't, and when I left them I couldn't submit final readings because despite them not working they had disabled manual readings on exit. As a result, they used a massively inflated final gas read and overcharged me. Took far too long for them to resolve.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
You got smart meters? And if so, are they both working correctly? Mine weren't, and when I left them I couldn't submit final readings because despite them not working they had disabled manual readings on exit. As a result, they used a massively inflated final gas read and overcharged me. Took far too long for them to resolve.

Yeah they all appear to be working. They're showing up in my account anyways.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It isn't Bulb is it? I had similar issues when I was with them (left a little over a year ago) where they kept wanting to up my DD to dozens of £ more than necessary (and I have the data to prove it - I keep an excel sheet with my monthly bills and a rolling 12 month average so I know exactly what my DD should be). And then my new provider used my first 3-4 months (winter) usage with them to justify a massive increase in DD even though I told them my summer usage would be way lower than they assume because I've got solar. It's now settled down and they've reduced the DD back to where it was originally.
So Energy, although I suspect they are all very similar.

I think they are all desperate for cash to keep afloat.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
If only the Gammon folk hadn't all voted Tory we could of had a national energy provider now putting people first instead of profits.

Instead Boris chucked all the money we could have usd setting that up by giving his mates our money to run a broken track and trace system, not only costing the taxpayer billions but also ensuring that we have the highest covid death rates in Europe.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I was with Igloo but a month ago I was put with Eon . I have not heard anything since .

The TSA agreement was signed last week, giving E.On next the ability to bring the data across (GDPR innit). You've been on supply with them since the 3rd October, so effectively this bit is just dealing with the necessary paperwork. They'll be in touch in the next couple of weeks with their tariff - I haven't seen it yet but prepare a stiff drink if it's anything like the other SOLR tarrifs that have been arranged by other suppliers. Best of luck.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Bulb Energy has gone bust and will be placed into an untested “special administration” process to manage the fallout of the biggest energy supply collapse on record.

The energy regulator drew up plans over the weekend to put the company into a process designed to protect Bulb’s 1.7 million household customers and ensure continuity of supply, according to industry sources.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Bulb Energy has gone bust and will be placed into an untested “special administration” process to manage the fallout of the biggest energy supply collapse on record.

The energy regulator drew up plans over the weekend to put the company into a process designed to protect Bulb’s 1.7 million household customers and ensure continuity of supply, according to industry sources.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

The governments failed energy strategy has come back to bite not them, but the taxpayer. A cool £1.7B for cover the price cap for all the bulb customers

When the current cap ends (I think its 31st Dec), gonna be some big price hikes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here