Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Burnley matchday experience v likely AMEX matchday experience for Watford

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Burnley
Took forever to get there. They really need to move it closer.
Was able to park for free within 10 minutes walk of stadium.
No covid checks needed or required. No facemasks worn.
Through turnstile in a matter of seconds. No body search.
Bought drink and bottle lid was allowed to be kept on.
Cheap but ugly looking food.
Decent enough view provided you moved more centrally to avoid the pillar that was otherwise slightly blocking the penalty area.
VAR didn't poke it's ugly nose in.
Good atmosphere but mostly generated by the split home and away support.
Long drive home. They really need to move it closer.
Note, could have easily passed ticket to someone else if couldn't go (for nothing).
Cost £30 plus travel

AMEX for Watford game
Shouldn't take long to get there, but will trains and car parking cope. New mobile ticket for parking might mean long queues at parking. Lack of parking may mean more people getting train?
Covid check point.
Ticket checkpoint and activation? Bag check, body search.
Turnstile and in.
Fans must wear a face covering at all times when moving around inside the stadium.
Expensive but decent food and drink, no bottle tops allowed, and don't dare bring a flask.
VAR hopefully won't poke it's ugly nose in.
Atmosphere - hopefully good, probably depends on how the team is performing. But generous view and position given to away support will probably help them more.
Home trip, likely big queues for trains, difficulty getting out of Bridge Car Park, easier from Uni I suspect.
Cost £42 minimum, but includes train travel if you are reasonably local.

Trying to look at it independently not through my normal blue and white specs I'd rather follow the Burnley approach. I'll prepare to be flamed though but if you're a floating fan, you can see why we are not selling out our first home game with fans for a long time. :eek:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Not a flaming but isn’t this just a summary of Jay White’s Covid precautions, parking, cost, ticket sharing, phone technology threads ? All in one handy place but I doubt anyone will say anything new, well, apart from Burnley not being far away if you live in the right place :)

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Reading your list OP has made me be thankful for what I've got.

Yes, i've got to set out early, wear a mask for a bit and show my phone when I get there, but at least i'm not watching terrible hoofball in a god forsaken, northern, racist ****hole.

Put me down as a vote for the Amex experience.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Not a flaming but isn’t this just a summary of Jay White’s Covid precautions, parking, cost, ticket sharing, phone technology threads ? All in one handy place but I doubt anyone will say anything new, well, apart from Burnley not being far away if you live in the right place :)

Yes I agree but I wanted a more sensible comparison all in one place. Will be useful to update after the match when some of the perceived concerns may well fall away.

Another interesting comparison from each club's website:

Burnley Covid advice - 181 words
Brighton Covid advice - 1,703 words

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yes I agree but I wanted a more sensible comparison all in one place. Will be useful to update after the match when some of the perceived concerns may well fall away.

I'm intrigued why you think that Burnley not taking the covid threat seriously, is a good thing. :shrug:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Yes.
‘Trying to look at it independently not through my normal blue and white specs I'd rather follow the Burnley approach’

Okay, I meant the overall experience if I try and look at it independently not as a Brighton fan. I wasn't actually referring to the Covid stuff. I actually think the club have got that about right.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Okay, I meant the overall experience if I try and look at it independently not as a Brighton fan. I wasn't actually referring to the Covid stuff. I actually think the club have got that about right.

So you’d choose Burnley over brighton because of bottle tops and not being searched? Or is it something else?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Fair enough. It was a little ambiguous, especially with the word count you gave for the respective clubs’ Covid advice. Anyway, there is a comparison to be made although perhaps fan opinion on their day out may, at the moment, be less important than doing the right thing. We had a lot of trepidation about Burnley but chose tickets at the end of a row and at the front of a block. We also wore masks when we moved around and were pleased that some people around us did the same (although we were a minority). I went for a piss during the match rather than at half time and at the end we stayed in our seats until the masses had left. Basically we changed our behaviour so felt relatively safe.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Fair enough. It was a little ambiguous, especially with the word count you gave for the respective clubs’ Covid advice.

Which I didn't comment on. For what it is worth I think Burnley's is non existent, "wear a mask if you like" would cover it. Brighton's is probably too wordy for some.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Burnley
Decent enough view provided you moved more centrally to avoid the pillar that was otherwise slightly blocking the penalty area.
Note, could have easily passed ticket to someone else if couldn't go (for nothing).
Cost £30 plus travel

AMEX for Watford game
Shouldn't take long to get there, but will trains and car parking cope. New mobile ticket for parking might mean long queues at parking. Lack of parking may mean more people getting train?
Covid check point.
Turnstile and in.
Fans must wear a face covering at all times when moving around inside the stadium.
Expensive but decent food and drink, no bottle tops allowed, and don't dare bring a flask.
Atmosphere - hopefully good, probably depends on how the team is performing. But generous view and position given to away support will probably help them more.
Home trip, likely big queues for trains, difficulty getting out of Bridge Car Park, easier from Uni I suspect.

Trying to look at it independently not through my normal blue and white specs I'd rather follow the Burnley approach. I'll prepare to be flamed though but if you're a floating fan, you can see why we are not selling out our first home game with fans for a long time. :eek:

Overlooked that although Burnley have upgraded their wooden seats in the away end to plastic seats, there is still insufficient leg room for anyone who is an inch or more taller than Maty Ryan, and the Amex seats and leg room are far superior.

Burnley also have a nice new large screen, which is laid out far better than the new approach at the Amex (no game clock inbetween the team names/score.

Hopefully there will be no booing at the Amex when the players take the knee (unlike some of the Burnley fans)

Also far easier to exit the seat rows at full time at the Amex than at Burnley.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
**** off and support Burnley if you like it so much. Does your description of 'good atmosphere' include barely disguised racism towards our players and booing of an anti-racist gesture?

It's a Brexit heartland. You'd fit right in.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
AMEX for Watford game
Covid check point.
Turnstile and in.

You've made that up haven't you? Ticket checkpoint and activation? WTF?

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014

Perhaps Burnley fans have had more access to advice from other sources. :wink: I suspect the true word count would be more like 2,000,181 words to 2,001,703 when advice from all sources was taken into account.

I suspect, mainly from reading this board, that people in the Burnley area are less concerned about the virus than people in the Brighton area. I don't know why. The Brexit = independence = "I can look after myself" might be part of it. More likely, the lower proportion of people who can work from home (I believe Brighton has a higher proportion of office workers, please correct me if wrong) means that the fear of going to football is much less - people have got used to mixing with other people at work.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
**** off and support Burnley if you like it so much. Does your description of 'good atmosphere' include barely disguised racism towards our players and booing of an anti-racist gesture?

It's a Brexit heartland. You'd fit right in.

its a true working class town that love their football.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Perhaps Burnley fans have had more access to advice from other sources. :wink: I suspect the true word count would be more like 2,000,181 words to 2,001,703 when advice from all sources was taken into account.

I suspect, mainly from reading this board, that people in the Burnley area are less concerned about the virus than people in the Brighton area. I don't know why. The Brexit = independence = "I can look after myself" might be part of it. More likely, the lower proportion of people who can work from home (I believe Brighton has a higher proportion of office workers, please correct me if wrong) means that the fear of going to football is much less - people have got used to mixing with other people at work.

You might be right. Two examples on Saturday. My daughter was told by a Burnley fan in the Cricket Club to take off her mask. She ignored him.Then after the match when walking from the away end around to the cricket club a Burnley fan came into my personal space and mimed grabbing my balls. He then ran off. I think the technical term is ‘knobbeads.’ I’m not going to generalize as we had a great day and most of your support were great. However it does at least show how mind numbingly stupid and inconsiderate some of your supporters are. It also shows that you have at least one sex pest amongst your support. I live in the North btw so no excuses.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Burnley
Cost £30 plus travel

AMEX for Watford game
Covid check point.
Turnstile and in.

And you wonder why the North West suffered a more than us from Covid!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here