Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] As an employer this made me chuckle

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I would love a 48 hour week. We often smash that over a long weekend. I could actually get some sleep. And a 23k windfall would be handy too!

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...dvisor-wins-23-000-payout-sacked-moaning.html

Some weeks my staff, who have all been superb in the pandemic, would love to work a mere 48 hours :ffsparr:

I assume you're fishing with this one.

I have read the article, and it appears that she had a conversation with her employer about some concerns she had, and she was dismissed for being a trouble-maker.
She seemingly made the "mistake" of raising some statutory rights, which triggered the decision.

Not sure what's so amusing about that.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I don’t think anyone is arguing against that. If people work free overtime then they are idiots.

Very dependent on the work they do.

I would say that my Salary includes an unwritten level of: unreasonable hours/call out/overtime, that goes with the job.

No one in their right mind would pay my salary for 37.5 hrs a week.
Some weeks I'm really only working for 20 hours - but then very once in a while, there's an 80 hour week and weekends being crashed.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I assume you're fishing with this one.

I have read the article, and it appears that she had a conversation with her employer about some concerns she had, and she was dismissed for being a trouble-maker.
She seemingly made the "mistake" of raising some statutory rights, which triggered the decision.

Not sure what's so amusing about that.

Not fishing at all old love, just amazed how employment law can work in this country.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I assume [MENTION=17322]Lenny Rider[/MENTION] , is paying his superb staff overtime, when needed.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Employers should be allowed to sack someone for complaining?

They're not of course but a constantly moaning member of staff impacts the atmosphere in an office and can drag everyone down, I know, I've had just the one member of staff over the years who moaned about pretty well everything. I nearly did a backflip of joy when she handed in her notice and the atmosphere in the office improved dramatically the day she left. If I'd been able to get away with it I'd definitely have sacked her for moaning. she was very good at her job though in fairness.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If she went through the correct complaints procedure, fair play. If she sat at her desk eating buns and moaning to anyone who’ll listen, then get shot.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
They're not of course but a constantly moaning member of staff impacts the atmosphere in an office and can drag everyone down, I know, I've had just the one member of staff over the years who moaned about pretty well everything. I nearly did a backflip of joy when she handed in her notice and the atmosphere in the office improved dramatically the day she left. If I'd been able to get away with it I'd definitely have sacked her for moaning. she was very good at her job though in fairness.

Why didnt you just kill her?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
If she went through the correct complaints procedure, fair play. If she sat at her desk eating buns and moaning to anyone who’ll listen, then get shot.
From my experience of women in offices, I can well imagine which one she is.

She was sacked 2 days after raising the issue in a meeting with her employer.

The issues raised were, working hours, unpaid commission, Statutory working hours and stress.
If she was well informed, she will have raised the fact that her working hours exceeded 48 hrs per week on average over a 17 week period.

My guess is that she was working well over those hours and being under-remunerated for it.
She called a meeting to discuss it,
The stress aspect, may have been an attempt at leverage for increased pay or a legitimate wellbeing issue.

Either way, it's not ok to sack someone for raising a grievance,

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Very dependent on the work they do.

I would say that my Salary includes an unwritten level of: unreasonable hours/call out/overtime, that goes with the job.

No one in their right mind would pay my salary for 37.5 hrs a week.
Some weeks I'm really only working for 20 hours - but then very once in a while, there's an 80 hour week and weekends being crashed.

This. Plus there are some industries and roles where what constitutes work is quite a grey area. If you're working in sales and taking out a prospective client after a long day of workshopping then you may be pulling a 15 hour day, but equally a good four or five of those will involve sitting in a pub or restaurant on company expenses.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
She was sacked 2 days after raising the issue in a meeting with her employer.

The issues raised were, working hours, unpaid commission, Statutory working hours and stress.
If she was well informed, she will have raised the fact that her working hours exceeded 48 hrs per week on average over a 17 week period.

My guess is that she was working well over those hours and being under-remunerated for it.
She called a meeting to discuss it,
The stress aspect, may have been an attempt at leverage for increased pay or a legitimate wellbeing issue.

Either way, it's not ok to sack someone for raising a grievance,

We are in total agreement

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I would love a 48 hour week. We often smash that over a long weekend. I could actually get some sleep. And a 23k windfall would be handy too!

The longest a weekend is 48 hours long so are you saying you work the whole weekend.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here