Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] IT Help - Snail like download speed

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
This is weird (well it is to me)

Recently changed ISP from Vodafone to Plusnet. Everything OK except Mrs 6 month old Lenovo laptop suffering with very regular but intermittent download speeds (it's either 2mps or 38mps)

As everything else running fine (2 phones, 1ipad, 1android table and 1 laptop) I assumed it was an issue with driver or something such like.

2 hours Lenovo tech support by phone and remote control including full factory reset no better ... send it back. Get it back with no real info other than software reinstalled, all checked and fine. Run it again but still desperately slow.

Call Lenovo, argue ... they say nothing wrong with hardware gotta call Microsoft, goodbye

Call Microsoft ... 2 hours on phone/remote all sorts of box ticking/unticking ... nothing wrong ... they say must be ISP, I argue can't be as other stuff OK .. sorry can't help more, goodbye

Machine still running at 2mps so I go next door and hook up to his ISP and get 35mps

So it does appear to be ISP but I just know I am going to call and they are going to say they'll do a test and it all looks fine

Does anyone have any idea why the ISP speed can be just fine on 5 devices but not 1?

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
This is weird (well it is to me)

Recently changed ISP from Vodafone to Plusnet. Everything OK except Mrs 6 month old Lenovo laptop suffering with very regular but intermittent download speeds (it's either 2mps or 38mps)

As everything else running fine (2 phones, 1ipad, 1android table and 1 laptop) I assumed it was an issue with driver or something such like.

2 hours Lenovo tech support by phone and remote control including full factory reset no better ... send it back. Get it back with no real info other than software reinstalled, all checked and fine. Run it again but still desperately slow.

Call Lenovo, argue ... they say nothing wrong with hardware gotta call Microsoft, goodbye

Call Microsoft ... 2 hours on phone/remote all sorts of box ticking/unticking ... nothing wrong ... they say must be ISP, I argue can't be as other stuff OK .. sorry can't help more, goodbye

Machine still running at 2mps so I go next door and hook up to his ISP and get 35mps

So it does appear to be ISP but I just know I am going to call and they are going to say they'll do a test and it all looks fine

Does anyone have any idea why the ISP speed can be just fine on 5 devices but not 1?

Not going to be much help, but my husband had the same issue with his Iphone 6, connected to our home wifi really slow, connected to office wifi everything fine. All other devices at home fine. Obviulsy something we can not check wth a phone was what it was liked when physically connected to the ISP router. So have you tried hardwiring to the isp router assuming it has a LAN port?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
And if Wi-Fi be sure you know if you are connected at 5GHz or 2.4GHz - there is a massive speed performance difference between them - but unless you are "working" some distance from the router should never be as low as 2GBs.

Now it can get tricky as if you are connected on 2.4GHz and some distance from your router there is a possibility you are getting channel conflict. This is where another 2.4GHz signal is detected AND in the same channel you are using which creates contention [in the airwaves].

I would recommend that for all speed/performance tests you connect via Ethernet cable to your router or make sure you're in the same room as the router and on 5GHz. If these give reliable / consistent results I'd be guessing it's a 2.4GHxz channel conflict issue - easy for you to change on your router with a bit of Google help.

Let us know how you get on ...

Edit: just seen you've got no Ethernet [LAN] port - where are you testing in relation to your router?

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Ok, does the problem happen when you're next to the wifi router - i.e. within clear line of sight?
It could be related to interference (fireplace, microwave, etc.)

If it's still crappy, I'd look at the wi-fi adapter drivers as you rightly say and any management software on the device. If none of that works, there are some detailed WIFI diagnostics in Windows 10 which can help eliminate lines of investigation

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...k-report-76da0daa-1db2-6049-d154-7bb679eb03ed

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
And if Wi-Fi be sure you know if you are connected at 5GHz or 2.4GHz - there is a massive speed performance difference between them - but unless you are "working" some distance from the router should never be as low as 2GBs.

Now it can get tricky as if you are connected on 2.4GHz and some distance from your router there is a possibility you are getting channel conflict. This is where another 2.4GHz signal is detected AND in the same channel you are using which creates contention [in the airwaves].

I would recommend that for all speed/performance tests you connect via Ethernet cable to your router or make sure you're in the same room as the router and on 5GHz. If these give reliable / consistent results I'd be guessing it's a 2.4GHxz channel conflict issue - easy for you to change on your router with a bit of Google help.

Let us know how you get on ...

Edit: just seen you've got no Ethernet [LAN] port - where are you testing in relation to your router?

I'm sat 10' from the router (on 2.4GHz). I'm sat with 2 laptops and an ipad right now and getting the same results (2 fine 1 rubbish). I've also powered every other device off and run the test and no better. I thought channel conflict was nearby neighbours but either side are a decent distance and I know do not use internet to any degree and even then would it not impact on all my devices?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Just out of interest what is the model of the laptop, also does it have a bandwidth restrictor installed something like "Rivet Dynamic Bandwidth Management"?

Lenovo Yoga 6

No idea (how do I determine?) ... certainly no mention when on to tech support

matey

Mar 16, 2014
Get a network analyser app on your smartphone so you can see what other devices are on your wifi channel in your vicinity. If there are many then change your wifi channel out of the mass.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Ok, does the problem happen when you're next to the wifi router - i.e. within clear line of sight?
It could be related to interference (fireplace, microwave, etc.)

If it's still crappy, I'd look at the wi-fi adapter drivers as you rightly say and any management software on the device. If none of that works, there are some detailed WIFI diagnostics in Windows 10 which can help eliminate lines of investigation

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...k-report-76da0daa-1db2-6049-d154-7bb679eb03ed

Just tried sat right next to router. I'll get a beer and look at your link but conscious of the fact I had windows support remote in to machine for nearly 2 hours yesterday and found nothing wrong (not sure how thorough he was obv)

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
My guess is that this is a driver issue.

If you don't make any progress down other routes start by checking if there is a bios update available and then look for WiFi driver updates.

Alternatively purchase a USB Wifi dongle, just make sure you disable the Lenovo one.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Lenovo Yoga 6

No idea (how do I determine?) ... certainly no mention when on to tech support

you can run "Task Manager" check for any processes or services you don't reconise and google search them.

task.JPG

This may help all being it is not your model but similar symptoms

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo...Yoga-7i-Download-Speed-Slow-Issue/m-p/5074667

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Just tried sat right next to router. I'll get a beer and look at your link but conscious of the fact I had windows support remote in to machine for nearly 2 hours yesterday and found nothing wrong (not sure how thorough he was obv)

If you can run the diagnostics and send them over, I'll happily review them and I'll then know exactly what is going on. It does have the feel like of wireless hardware/driver or 3rd party software if you have full line of sight

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Get a network analyser app on your smartphone so you can see what other devices are on your wifi channel in your vicinity. If there are many then change your wifi channel out of the mass.

Here's what it's showing but I've no idea how to interpret that (I am Plusnet)

Network Analyser.png

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
My guess is that this is a driver issue.

If you don't make any progress down other routes start by checking if there is a bios update available and then look for WiFi driver updates.

Alternatively purchase a USB Wifi dongle, just make sure you disable the Lenovo one.

I may be wrong but assumed if it were a driver issue it would be the same when I went next door and used his.

I recall Lenovo saying (when remote in) that they had checked bios and wi fi driver updates

USB wi fi dongle .... might have to revisit that, probably getting to an expert first (although I'm conscious still under warranty, even though Lenovo seem to have washed their hands of it)

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I may be wrong but assumed if it were a driver issue it would be the same when I went next door and used his.

I recall Lenovo saying (when remote in) that they had checked bios and wi fi driver updates

USB wi fi dongle .... might have to revisit that, probably getting to an expert first (although I'm conscious still under warranty, even though Lenovo seem to have washed their hands of it)

My guess as the Laptop works next door, it is a compatibility issue between the laptop and the ISP router

Did plusnet provide the router? if so you could try replacing it with an off the shelf one. All the configuration deltails you need will be on the admin page of your existing one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here