Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The 2021-22 Scholars and U-18 Matches Thread

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
and a Joe Winstanley, who I think AZ has confirmed is Paul W's son.

Indeed.

Two of Rio Ferdinand's sons are in the academy; Lorenz is a goalkeeper at U-16 level and his younger brother is a CB at U-14 level.

John Morling's son Cian is an U-15 with Albion, and already scoring for the ROI U-16s - REPORT | Malta MU16 0-3 Ireland MU16

Jamie Howell's son is also in the academy, at U-14 level.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
First game of the u17s cup was yesterday. Didn't show much details on the club website other than the result 4-2 win vs Chelsea. Youthhawk provided more though -
http://youthhawk.co.uk/w/index.php/..._Albion_(2021-22_Under-17_Premier_League_Cup)
2 goals for the u15 england international Shumaira Mheuka. Its all good news these days isn't it!

Is he 13 years old. I'm sure I read somewhere a 13 year old scored,

Yep, he's 14 next month.

Sorry, what!?

We beat Chelsea U17, with two of our goals scored by a THIRTEEN year old? :mad:

That is ridiculous.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
First game of the u17s cup was yesterday. Didn't show much details on the club website other than the result 4-2 win vs Chelsea. Youthhawk provided more though -
http://youthhawk.co.uk/w/index.php/..._Albion_(2021-22_Under-17_Premier_League_Cup)
2 goals for the u15 england international Shumaira Mheuka. Its all good news these days isn't it!

Not sure that this has been mentioned, but as well as the cup win over Chelsea, the same group (as U18s) also beat West Brom 7-1 at the weekend, in the league.

Report and highlights here: https://www.brightonandhovealbion.c...17s-begin-title-defence-with-win-over-chelsea

The wording in the report on Marcus Ifil's performance rather undersells it:

The victory over the Baggies saw Marcus Ifill net a hat-trick of goals and assists, as Albion moved up to fifth in the league – making it three wins from their opening five games.

Marcus didn't actually get 'a hatrick, made up of goals and assists', as that reads (to me at least).

Marcus actually notched up a hat-trick of goals AND a hat-trick of assists. :clap2:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Not sure that this has been mentioned, but as well as the cup win over Chelsea, the same group (as U18s) also beat West Brom 7-1 at the weekend, in the league.

Report and highlights here: https://www.brightonandhovealbion.c...17s-begin-title-defence-with-win-over-chelsea

The wording in the report on Marcus Ifil's performance rather undersells it:

Marcus didn't actually get 'a hatrick, made up of goals and assists', as that reads (to me at least).

Marcus actually notched up a hat-trick of goals AND a hat-trick of assists. :clap2:

And just look at the goals we scored against West Brom. Potterball dialled up to 11. Every move involved touches from the goalie, a few defenders sucking WBA in and tearing them to shreds on the break. Incredibly impressive

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Slightly disappointing 2-0 defeat vs middlesborough for the u18s today in the u18 premier league cup.

https://uk.soccerway.com/matches/20...18/middlesbrough-fc-under-18-academy/3642540/

Anyone know who David Gokou-Siafori is?

After doing a bit of research, I think that name is a typo, and it is actually trialist David Gokou-Siakouri.

If so, he is in the youth system at Erith Town:-

[TWEET]1437855419880415232[/TWEET]

Erith Town U-18s v Glebe FA Youth Cup

DGS.jpg

He is the age of a 1st-year scholar this season.

ifightbears

Jul 19, 2010
Cornwall
Double defeat to Southampton this week 5-2 in the u17 cup and 3-2 in the league.

Last season's bottom place in the league for Southampton has seemed to of woken them up. Historically quite a strong youth structure.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Ruairi McConville is something of the "forgotten scholar" this season. The Northern Irish centre-back suffered an ankle injury when he made his debut for his country's U-17 side against Wales at the start of June. He was out of action until last month and has only made one appearance for the Albion U-18s so far this season (in the 3-1 win over Reading on October 23).

However, he has just completed further international duties with the Northern Ireland U-17 squad. Unfortunately they failed to advance from the qualifying round of the 2022 UEFA U-17 European Championships, despite home advantage, but McConville has now captained the side in all three matches he has started (he was only a sub against Albania on Tuesday in the one match where they picked up a point).

Here he is (no. 4), proudly lining up before the match against Italy last Saturday:-

RMItaly.jpg

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
The Albion U-18s have been drawn away at Plymouth Argyle in the 3rd round of the FA Youth Cup. Ties are due to be played by Saturday December 11th.

It is the third successive home draw for the Pilgrims in this season's competition, and they have beaten Mangotsfield United and MK Dons so far.

It will be interesting to see if Albion include Andrew Moran and Evan Ferguson in their squad (who have graduated to the U-23s and haven't yet featured for the U-18s so far this season).

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
A couple of housekeeping notes: this season there is both an U-18 Premier League Cup AND an U-17 Premier League Cup (last season the U-17 PLC was introduced but the U-18 PLC competition was not held).

In the U-18 PLC Albion have been drawn in Group E with Norwich, Middlesbrough and Sunderland - full draw details are available on the very good youthhawk website - 2021-22 Under-18 Premier League Cup

In the U-17 PLC competition [reminder - current holders and, so far, only winners --------> Brighton and Hove Albion] Albion have been drawn in Group A with Chelsea, Reading and Southampton - 2021-22 Under-17 Premier League Cup

The match dates for the U-17 PLC are Sep 28/29, Oct 26/27 and Nov 23/24:-

[TWEET]1427647998541111302[/TWEET]

The U-17 PLC competition is held as a midweek tournament and the groups are regionalised to reduce travelling. Up to four 2nd-year scholars (U-18s) can play in each match in the competition, one goalkeeper and three outfield players.

Albion U-17s lost 2-1 at home to Reading in their final group match in the U-17 PL Cup today; so, after that excellent win at Chelsea in the first tie, two defeats mean they will not be defending the trophy this season.

Taking the results of the U-18s/U-17s together, the team is currently in a funk - they've lost 7 of their last 8 matches.

I'm not sure if James Baxter has been given the head coaching role permanently; I've noticed in match reports on the club website this season he has generally been referred to as "professional development phase coach" James Baxter, rather than "head coach". I don't believe the club ever announced him as coach of the U-18s after Mark Beard's departure, but given the general lack of newsflow around the U-18s that doesn't necessarily mean anything in itself. I shall for the moment assume he is the interim head coach, until (and unless) there is definitive news to the contrary, or he is still in place in a few month's time.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Albion U-17s lost 2-1 at home to Reading in their final group match in the U-17 PL Cup today; so, after that excellent win at Chelsea in the first tie, two defeats mean they will not be defending the trophy this season.

Taking the results of the U-18s/U-17s together, the team is currently in a funk - they've lost 7 of their last 8 matches.

I'm not sure if James Baxter has been given the head coaching role permanently; I've noticed in match reports on the club website this season he has generally been referred to as "professional development phase coach" James Baxter, rather than "head coach". I don't believe the club ever announced him as coach of the U-18s after Mark Beard's departure, but given the general lack of newsflow around the U-18s that doesn't necessarily mean anything in itself. I shall for the moment assume he is the interim head coach, until (and unless) there is definitive news to the contrary, or he is still in place in a few month's time.

Dean Wilkins is currently without a job. Its fate I tell ya.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
The Albion U-18s have been drawn away at Plymouth Argyle in the 3rd round of the FA Youth Cup. Ties are due to be played by Saturday December 11th.

It is the third successive home draw for the Pilgrims in this season's competition, and they have beaten Mangotsfield United and MK Dons so far.

It will be interesting to see if Albion include Andrew Moran and Evan Ferguson in their squad (who have graduated to the U-23s and haven't yet featured for the U-18s so far this season).

[TWEET]1463469951570747402[/TWEET]

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Albion have a new 1st-year scholar: Kain Ryan.

[TWEET]1464309611905925135[/TWEET]

Ryan was at Derby County where he started his scholarship in the summer. He was on the bench for the U-18s against Chelsea on Saturday.

He's a centre-back (goes without saying, of course).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here