Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bennett's Field no longer available - no parking season tickets

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The landowner of Bennett's Field has triggered the break clause in the lease with the Albion. As a consequence, Bennett's Field is no longer available. We're being told that we'll have to use the Uni car park, with a shuttle service. Not an issue for me; could mean my mother can no longer attend games - no way she can do that walk (she can only just do the walk from Bennett'd Field on a good day). Will she get on the shuttle? Depends on how high the steps are, where we have to park in the uni vs where the pick up point is, etc etc.

Not good.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
So I'm assuming that is the reason for delay in availability of match day parking? Just at a time when I imagine more will want to drive and avoid public transport . My wife has already said she won't go unless I drive.

Ugh!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Hah. So THATS why I was directed to park in the coach park behind the south stand the other day (where the spaces are marked out as bus/coach-sized as opposed to car-sized, which made it all a bit haphazard).

Whats Farmer Giles going to do with an empty parking lot then ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The landowner of Bennett's Field has triggered the break clause in the lease with the Albion. As a consequence, Bennett's Field is no longer available. We're being told that we'll have to use the Uni car park, with a shuttle service. Not an issue for me; could mean my mother can no longer attend games - no way she can do that walk (she can only just do the walk from Bennett'd Field on a good day). Will she get on the shuttle? Depends on how high the steps are, where we have to park in the uni vs where the pick up point is, etc etc.

Not good.

Drop your Mum at the lower shuttle point, which I think runs quite regularly and then park. 5-7 mins for you to get back to the shuttle point. Shuttles from the ground run to the car park.

There are allegedly buses from the car park but it’s all a bit haphazard

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Hah. So THATS why I was directed to park in the coach park behind the south stand the other day (where the spaces are marked out as bus/coach-sized as opposed to car-sized, which made it all a bit haphazard).

two options, he can plough it (bugger up the plough blades though), or seek a new lease on improved terms.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
He's after the Ben White proceeds

Farmer:
giphy.gif

Club:
f1ecc10089d6770346b5c17da14adc11.gif

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Not good.

Don't know if it's still going but there used to be disabled parking and some sort of shuttle in one part of the Uni Parking. (Assuming a disabled shuttle would have easy access). Phone the club

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I wonder what they will do with it? operate a match day car park of their own ??

Wonder if it would be viable - only 19 days use a year pus a few cup games.......? Would be able to charge a premium price I guess (what does the farm shop across the road charge - I'd heard £250/season but unconfirmed - sounds low ??) so might work out.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The shuttle bus is absolutely wheelchair equipped, so access will not be an issue.

Getting one of the prized spots in that car park would help you a lot. Talk to the club, and they'll get you in there if they can.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle

Not good.

That really would be a shame if your Mum can't go. As someone now in what I call "the final third" I sometimes wonder what it will be that stops me going to games. I hope you are able to find a way for her to keep going. It would so disappointing if it isn't a decline in her physical ability to get there that stops her, but a frustrating "technical" issue like this. Maybe the Club could look at some sort of drop-off point (if there isn't one already) in a (stewarded) safe spot for fans like your Mum ? Somewhere she could wait in comfort and safety until you could join her? Having said that, let's hope there is an easier solution......

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Interesting - I've been trying to buy Uni Car Park Ticket - which I was told would be available - now I'm told it's not....

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
There's a disabled shuttle from the car park at the bottom so as said you could drop mum off and park yourself.

I am a bit concerned about the knock on effect on the availability of other match day parking just at a time when many are avoiding public transport.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I suspect Bennett will want to get planning permission to turn it into blocks of wardened private student flats. Particularly on the north side nearest the railway line.

There are many such developers/operators in the UK, some active in Brighton.

The sums for all involved are eye watering. I know a Lewes Road landowner offered £14m for a single site.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Didn't this happen once before, where the landowner decided to hold the club to ransom, and the club effectively said "have your field back" we can manage without it, shortly after which point a new agreement was reached

Not sure what Mr Bennet can do with a field on a hill with no independent access, and I expect a new agreement will be reached fairly soon

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Will he ever lease it back? Sell it on? Sell it to Albion or plough it up?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

Renogiate the lease and rub his hands together in glee? I imagine the original lease was signed quite some time ago and we're a richer club now.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Isn't it bonkers that we have a stunning, modern, 21st century out-of-town stadium - but with no car park immediately adjacent to service it. The Lewes Distrcit Council effect comes into play I suppose.

If Gilo isn't playing ball any more, then what about the land to Village Way South ? The club originally submitted a dual-application to locate the stadium either on VWN or VWS, IIRC. Or does he own that as well.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Shame the club can’t buy the field the other side of the road. Could have an entrance further along the road beyond the traffic lights which could make it easier for the buses to get out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here