Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bissouma (Gone to Spurs 17/06/2022)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Biss was ok when he signed in 18/19 but not consistent and certainly not a first-name-on-team-sheet player. He improved in Potter’s first season and has been brilliant during the last 2. Caicedo, however, has come in and been un droppable from game 1.

A major part of his slow development was finding where best to play him. Once Potter took over and established this, coupled with his excellent man-management, Biss hasn’t looked back.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Clearly Caicedo looks immensely talented and has a big future but he has been excellent for us for 8 games, Bissouma has for 3 years. I think a lot of fans don't appreciate how consistently excellent Biss has been for a long time and Caicedo and the other players have massive boots to fill when/if he does go.

Agree that it is early in his Brighton career to say for sure for Caicedo, but at 20 he is not half as raw as Biss was at 21, you mentioned Bissouma's being the best we have had in 40 years, well we have made signings since and I believe Caicedo will be even better. I hope we continue to identify and acquire the next great players, we certainly have done well lately.

Having sold Ben White and Dan Burn for £65M, bought Mwepu and Cucurella for £35M, and Sarmiento, Kozlowski, Undav, Mitoma, Sima and Scherpen for around £30M, I think we may have difficulty doing better business this coming season.
Only Scherpen and Sima of that second group look like they will definitely need more time to develop, maybe Mitoma and Kozlowski will need to muscle up a bit to not get knocked off the ball, but if they all slot in as well as Cucurella, Caicedo and Mwepu have done, we will have a fantastic season.

If we include Caicedo coming in Feb 21, the recruitment team at Brighton have been outstanding, and it gives me confidence that as long as Newcastle don't keep plundering us for key staff, we are well set to cope with good players moving on.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am convinced that Caicedo is going to be World Superstar. Comparing him to Bissouma when he arrived there is no comparison., Caicedo is a much more complete player than Biss was. Time will tell but his time on the ball in tight situations is the best I have ever seen from an Albion player. The sign of a quality player, think Liam Brady at his peak.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I am convinced that Caicedo is going to be World Superstar. Comparing him to Bissouma when he arrived there is no comparison., Caicedo is a much more complete player than Biss was. Time will tell but his time on the ball in tight situations is the best I have ever seen from an Albion player. The sign of a quality player, think Liam Brady at his peak.

He will be. But Biss is Champions League ready now. A season with those two in midfield and Cucurella and we’re top 4 contenders - and yes, I have had a couple of beers.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010

Big call Icy.

Do you rank Mark Lawrenson as the greatest player to ever pull on a Blue and White shirt?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Big call Icy.

Do you rank Mark Lawrenson as the greatest player to ever pull on a Blue and White shirt?

You have to stick your neck on the line sometimes, you do it often enough :lolol:

Given his achievements, yes Lawro has to be regarded as Albion's best ever player. I don't think he'll be keeping that tag for too much longer though :shrug:

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
You have to stick your neck on the line sometimes, you do it often enough [emoji38]ol:

Given his achievements, yes Lawro has to be regarded as Albion's best ever player. I don't think he'll be keeping that tag for too much longer though :shrug:
I don't think Lawro was Brighton's best ever player for Brighton though. If he had stayed for a few more seasons rather than going to Liverpool maybe, but that is where he spent his best years and had his achievements as a player.

Jul 7, 2003
A major part of his slow development was finding where best to play him. Once Potter took over and established this, coupled with his excellent man-management, Biss hasn’t looked back.

He has described GP as a Dad to him which has helped him mature but when we first signed him it was always said that he was talented but tactically naive and his lack of English was holding him back. He also had two shoulder operations before Potter took over which didn't help in his early times with us.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I don't think Lawro was Brighton's best ever player for Brighton though. If he had stayed for a few more seasons rather than going to Liverpool maybe, but that is where he spent his best years and had his achievements as a player.

He’s the best player to ever play for the club, IMHO

If he had stayed fully fit and played for the Republic of Ireland in both Euro 88 and Italia 90 he would have been lauded as a truly world class player *

*My definition of that is someone who could get into one of the top 4 teams in the world in their chosen position.

Will we ever have a player potentially that good again?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011

If he had stayed fully fit and played for the Republic of Ireland in both Euro 88 and Italia 90 he would have been lauded as a truly world class player *

*My definition of that is someone who could get into one of the top 4 teams in the world in their chosen position.

Tend to agree The best player. However Peter Ward still the most entertaining. Win or lose always did something to talk about long after game

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

I’d actually say by some distance as well.

He glided across the turf and rarely made a mistake

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Who do you think was better than Lawro?
Well I think my point is he was a great performer for us, but played just two seasons, I think, in the First Division. He did not reach his peak with us. Arguably, Dunk with 5 seasons in the Premier League is the most consistently good defender we have ever had.
And I remember Lawro often played Centre Mid for us, but Biss is a much better player than he was in that position.
And if he stays with us for many years (which unfortunately I doubt will happen) I think Caceido could be the greatest ever (based upon what I've seen in 8 or 9 games so far).

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
One of the things people tend to forget about Lawrenson was that after he got injured early in the 1979-80 season we looked as if we were heading back down, even after the emergence of Gary Stevens. But when Lawro returned - playing in midfield, if you remember! - things stabilised again almost immediately.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
One of the things people tend to forget about Lawrenson was that after he got injured early in the 1979-80 season we looked as if we were heading back down, even after the emergence of Gary Stevens. But when Lawro returned - playing in midfield, if you remember! - things stabilised again almost immediately.

Lawrenson was a Rolls Royce of a player.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

If that's the criteria then I think Vicente and Bobby Smith may have a view on that, and we may have to see what Ben White, Bissouma, Caicedo, Sanchez and Cucerella go on to do as they all have the potential ???

If we are talking about people when they were at the height of their career, then I think Vicente just pips Lawro for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here