Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Vaccine passport required to enter Amex

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
What were the queues like at the south end of the stadium? When I arrived, coming up from the station, the west lower queue snakes all the way from the north end entrance down the ramp. The West upper entrance at the north end was snaking back toward the bandstand. I was wondering if it would be worth making my way to the south end entrances to see if the queues were shorter (I imagine with people walking, parking at the bridge, coming from the train station, from the bus stop at the university, all coming toward the stadium from the north end, they instinctive go to the nearest entrance, leaving the south end quieter.

The queue at the south WSU entrance was longer than the north. About twice as long.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Not sure if it’s already been covered. Did anyone get refused entry for their covid pass being out of date or invalid? Or not having proper ID?
Suggestions of random testing would mean any failures just go to a different queue until they aren’t selected.
The entire system relies on people’s honesty and good sense, things that are often lacking at football grounds.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Again, I can only speak anecdotally from my own experience but with the Covid check taking place away from the stadium entry point itself, I don't see why they can't check 100% if they want to.

With fans being ready to quickly flash their details, it's a quicker step than the old physical pat-down that we all used to go through.

(I'm not saying they should do this, but I don't see that they couldn't, if they want to whilst also not slowing down stadium entry)

For me the Covid ID check is still too close to the turnstile. What I envisaged when I first saw the club's policy was that you would have a line of checks on the walkway from the station, just past the programmes sellers and checks at the top of the stairs down from the coach park and in the walkway from Bennet's Field area. People could then get a pint outside and take their time getting into the stadium. The sight of big queues for the turnstiles will always panic people to join them when it may be unnecessary.

Plenty of gigs, festivals and attractions already do just this with bag/drug searches well away from the main ticket turnstiles. The lovely folk at Brighton Racecourse even manage to put a drug dog on every punter attending their summer gigs without causing a crush or having a ticket presented.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
In my view the sensible approach is to be double jabbed, and accept that you are eventually going to get Covid and have faith that the vaccine prevents the ill effects of the virus requiring hospitalisation.
Life has to go on.

Agree with this. Yesterday proved that trying to stop transmission in a stadium is ultimately futile. It just isn't workable with over 25K people in that small area.

Once again this is a personal choice situation. Everyone on those concourses will have weighed up the risk, they've either had and trust the vaccine or decided to take their chances without. Anyone worried about catching covid should keep their mask on and head straight to their seat.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
For me the Covid ID check is still too close to the turnstile. What I envisaged when I first saw the club's policy was that you would have a line of checks on the walkway from the station, just past the programmes sellers and checks at the top of the stairs down from the coach park and in the walkway from Bennet's Field area. People could then get a pint outside and take their time getting into the stadium. The sight of big queues for the turnstiles will always panic people to join them when it may be unnecessary.

Plenty of gigs, festivals and attractions already do just this with bag/drug searches well away from the main ticket turnstiles. The lovely folk at Brighton Racecourse even manage to put a drug dog on every punter attending their summer gigs without causing a crush or having a ticket presented.

Absolutely.

I'm just making the case that I think it IS possible for the club to conduct a 100% Covid check process, should they want to, without slowing entry to the stadium itself, particularly if security pat-downs have been abandoned for now.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Bound to be some kind of Lessons Learned debriefing within the club, what worked well and what worked not so well. The checking process for next Saturday's game might well look noticeably different from yesterday's game

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Slightly O/T but anyone know why some of the exits were shut in WSU after the game?

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Straight up to NS turnstile, no checks, was about 4.45. Guess they had abandoned it because of queues, but only a couple in the line ahead of us when we got there

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton

Yep that was what I anticipated and for the reasons you mention above makes so much more sense.

Get the check out of the way and then allow people to mill around outside or access the stadium as we would normally have done.

The lengthy queue for WSL moved very quickly but did make me enter the stadium earlier than I would have normally.

Sue1983

Aug 15, 2018

This.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
...or they DO serve food and drink, but not booze, but it all has to be consumed in your seat not on the concourse.

(Note: I'm not saying they should do this, but if there is genuine concern about viral spread on concourses, this step would help mitigate that, whilst still allowing most concession sales to take place)

Wouldn't that require a change in the law though? Sporting Events (Control of Alcohol etc.) Act 1985.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Straight up to NS turnstile, no checks, was about 4.45. Guess they had abandoned it because of queues, but only a couple in the line ahead of us when we got there

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
WSL about the same time no Covid checks and no searches. Similar to Burnley away no checks.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
For me the Covid ID check is still too close to the turnstile. What I envisaged when I first saw the club's policy was that you would have a line of checks on the walkway from the station, just past the programmes sellers and checks at the top of the stairs down from the coach park and in the walkway from Bennet's Field area.

This is exactly what I envisaged - especially after I paid a visit to the club shop earlier in the week and saw fencing up with just one small gap where I assumed checks would take place.

CAE54FDA-0DF6-414C-B3D1-E57D7ABDEE33.jpeg

Not sure if it was like this yesterday as I travel with Seagull Travel so approached from opposite end and joined a bit of a queue at WSU south end.

The whole thing was very curious, no checks on outside and no mask enforcement inside. Be interesting to see what the club say about it as they haven’t got much time to put a better plan in place

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Playing devil's advocate here - imagine that every single person is checked before the game yesterday and it all runs smoothly. What would've been different and would it have been any better than what we actually had?

My guess is that everyone was prepared and the result would've been the same.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Playing devil's advocate here - imagine that every single person is checked before the game yesterday and it all runs smoothly. What would've been different and would it have been any better than what we actually had?

I'm not sure yesterday would have been any different at all. My concern would be that there are now loads of vaccine refusers reading this and thinking they will get in without being checked in the future.

If that's our policy, then fine BTW. But I don't think that's our intention.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I saw several people dresssed in albion shirts walking away from the stadium as I arrived. Granted, they might not have been planning to attend the games, or may have just been leaving so early it was before the game started, but it seemed like that didn't have the required (whether that be covid proof, id, or ticket I don't know). So it would appear there were people who were trying to attend without the requirements, and thus stopping the checks would suggest some may have got in that wouldn't have.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
It looks like it was chaos getting into St.Mary's for Southampton's game with United.
Southampton have issued a statement saying they will refund all general admission tickets.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here