Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] BBC Olympics Coverage- why its not very good this time.

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
Eurosport light years ahead of the BBC behind their Red Button, plus the added Brucie Bonus of one of the streams being in 4k HDR!

BBC studio set looks like CGI technology from 20 years ago - desperately poor quality imho

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The BBC can't win.

Go all out and pay the going rate for the Olympics and people complain about the amount of it on the various different platforms or that the standard of other output has gone down (the cost of the rights were the equivalent of the annual budget for BBC One or all of the BBC Radio stations) – or don't pay for the full package and people complain it's not enough.

Personally I think it's been fine. I've seen plenty during the evening shows and bits and pieces online.

Agree. The coverage has been ok and there is a good reason for how limited it is.

I do have Eurosport but the live coverage from the Beeb has kept me relatively happy so far. The IOC are the one who put the Olympics behind a paywall. In the US apparently NBC are putting a lot on their subscription channel Peacock so we are not the only punters being short changed here.

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
Agree, coverage has been poor imo, lots of filling with presenters trying to be funny, repeats of stuff they've shown lots before with live events still going on. I had table tennis on the red button in the background yesterday whilst working. It got to the final few points of a really close contest in the last set then the broadcast just stopped, with a message saying this broadcast has ended. It's on the red button ffs, not like it was a sceduling conflict.

Constantly moving coverage from BBC1 to BBC2 then back again, yesterday so they could show some crap like cash in the attic or bargain hunt. It's not like they don't show this the other 50 weeks a year, can't it be moved to BBC2 just for the olympics or even cancel it? Time to rethink imo as others out there can do it so much better.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Eurosport light years ahead of the BBC behind their Red Button, plus the added Brucie Bonus of one of the streams being in 4k HDR!

BBC studio set looks like CGI technology from 20 years ago - desperately poor quality imho

BBC offered the Euros in 4K HDR via iPlayer.
and had 20+ streams/channels as long ago as 2012. (when they had the rights)

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Just to be clear, I'm certainly not pinning the blame on the BBC - far from it - just sad that the coverage (to me) isn't up to the standard I've become used to,over the years.
(I don't have Sky/Cable/Similar.)

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
EUROSPORT
If you have Sky, Virgin or BT and, of course, pay the correct fees, Eurosport has 9 channels. Eurosport 3 to Eurosport 9 can be found on Sky channels 983 to 989, BT channels 401 to 407 and Virgin channels 537 to 543. Discovery have already purchased Paris 2024 by the way.
More worrying though is that the Olympics aren't FTA. Does this bring in future major world sporting events like the Football World Cup?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
EUROSPORT
If you have Sky, Virgin or BT and, of course, pay the correct fees, Eurosport has 9 channels. Eurosport 3 to Eurosport 9 can be found on Sky channels 983 to 989, BT channels 401 to 407 and Virgin channels 537 to 543. Discovery have already purchased Paris 2024 by the way.
More worrying though is that the Olympics aren't FTA. Does this bring in future major world sporting events like the Football World Cup?

We have Amazon Prime, and paid £6.99 for one month of Eurosport, which we’ll cancel in three weeks time.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
The whole mens mountain bike was available on iPlayer though, ditto skateboarding etc, I think a lot of the stuff is there, you just have to search for it. Look at the daily iPlayer selection and most seem to be there.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Bit of a bonus for me, just found out I have a free 6 months subscription to Discovery + with my Vodaphone pay monthly phone. So now have all the Olympics as well as whatever else is on there.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
The BBC can't win. Go all out and pay the going rate for the Olympics and people complain about the amount of it on the various different platforms...

In this case, the BBC didn't get to bid. No national broadcaster did.

The IOC did a private, direct deal with Discovery.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Olympics should be a protected category of event which can't legally go behind a pay wall.

But it’s like the argument about multinationals like Amazon and Apple paying tax in the UK.

The various countries have no say now where the rights are sold by the IOC, allegedly taking bungs all over the place, and after selling it to a paywall company, then it’s like the football / golf and cricket that are on SKY/ BT. If you don’t have the money to pay for a Subscription they don’t care a tuppence about you.

Welcome to this brave new world.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Last watched BBC1 olympics this morning about 8.30 and watched the medal ceremony for the Team GB gold and silver in the pool, followed by footage of the winners family going nuts in their garden and then an interview with his mum.

Just put BBC1 on 11 hours later and am watching the medal ceremony for the Team GB gold and silver in the pool, followed by footage of the winners family going nuts in their garden and then another interview with his mum.

FFS.

The only difference is it is now Clare Balding in [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION]’s cabin instead of Dan Walker

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Bit of a bonus for me, just found out I have a free 6 months subscription to Discovery + with my Vodaphone pay monthly phone. So now have all the Olympics as well as whatever else is on there.

Apologies if already mentioned - if you are a Sky Q customer already, you get 9 channels of Olympics (all in HD, 1 in 4K). I just realised I had all this, after almost a week :ffsparr:

More detais here (near the bottom of the page) https://support.discoveryplus.com/hc/en-gb/articles/4404439098129-All-about-the-Olympics-on-discovery-

Detailed instructions on how to do this are at https://support.discoveryplus.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360018839497-SkyQ-and-discovery-How-to-login-and-sign-up Note, if you struggled to get your season ticket onto your phone, you might want to get a local teenager round to sort out the sign-up steps for you...

From a quick glance, the commentary is poor, but there is a wider range of channels (9) to watch (mostly) live events

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
https://metro.co.uk/2021/07/28/toky...y-misgender-non-binary-olympian-15003365/amp/

Tokyo 2020: BBC commentators blasted for repeatedly misgendering first openly non-binary Olympian despite having pronouns highlighted on their skateboard

Alana uses they/them pronouns and was knocked out of the Women’s Street Skateboarding semi-finals, representing Team USA.

Despite wearing a ‘pronoun pin’ and having ‘they/them’ drawn on their skateboard, commentators Ed Leigh and Marc Churchill continued to refer to them as ‘she’ and ‘her’.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I’m sure the commentators made an honest mistake in all all good faith and there was nothing malicious or subversive intended. “Blasting” them won’t help and will simply polarise the issue. I didn’t see the event but I’m available to be offended on other people’s behalf if required, obvs.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
https://metro.co.uk/2021/07/28/toky...y-misgender-non-binary-olympian-15003365/amp/

Tokyo 2020: BBC commentators blasted for repeatedly misgendering first openly non-binary Olympian despite having pronouns highlighted on their skateboard

Alana uses they/them pronouns and was knocked out of the Women’s Street Skateboarding semi-finals, representing Team USA.

Despite wearing a ‘pronoun pin’ and having ‘they/them’ drawn on their skateboard, commentators Ed Leigh and Marc Churchill continued to refer to them as ‘she’ and ‘her’.

Why were “they” in the women’s event? Can hardly blame the commentator when every other competitor is a she.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

So yesterday morning, put the BBC on at 6.15. Was told we had won a gold in swimming and a silver in rowing. They never actually showed the medal winning performances. A lot of time was spent talking about Biles - and no action.

When I got home, GB were in the bronze medal match in the 7s egg chasing. So the BBC decided to show sailing instead! Now I understand that there is a huge amount of skill in sailing but a spectator sport it most certainly is not. Is sailing a more popular sport than rugby? Of course it isn't.

Fortunately I have now found the Olympics on Eurosport - all action, very little wittering. Coverage is different class to the BBC.

Want to try to construct a rebuttal of my points rather than the lazy use of an emoji?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here