Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Olympics viewing strategy

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
All the handball keepers seem to have a touch of the Ryan-itis. Almost every shot on target is a goal.

I've been lured into staying up by 5 Live (I was listening at around10.30pm as its about the only time [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] isn't likely to be on) as they said the track and field starts tonight? But now I'm sitting up at twenty past midight watching frigging olympic handball?

The only consolation is that at least I know [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION] will be GLUED to it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've been lured into staying up by 5 Live (I was listening at around10.30pm as its about the only time [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] isn't likely to be on) as they said the track and field starts tonight? But now I'm sitting up at twenty past midight watching frigging olympic handball?

The only consolation is that at least I know [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION] will be GLUED to it.

I fall into this trap every bloody night.

Just about to go to bed and the Olympics starts. "I'll watch the first few bits" I think. The first few bits are ALWAYS a re-cap of the previous day so I sit here often re-watching stuff I've already seen about eight times before the new stuff comes on.

Might be quite a wait for the first athletics, Dina Asher-Smith isn't up until 3:40am.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I fall into this trap every bloody night.

Just about to go to bed and the Olympics starts. "I'll watch the first few bits" I think. The first few bits are ALWAYS a re-cap of the previous day so I sit here often re-watching stuff I've already seen about eight times before the new stuff comes on.

Might be quite a wait for the first athletics, Dina Asher-Smith isn't up until 3:40am.

Yep - every time. My particular downfall was the men's Triathlon starting at just after midnight one night, followed by the women's event the following evening. You can't start watching a triathlon and then call it a night halfway through the bike ride. Then last night I ended up watching rowing FFS. I NEVER watch rowing.

Can't see me making DAS at twenty to four, though...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yep - every time. My particular downfall was the men's Triathlon starting at just after midnight one night, followed by the women's event the following evening. You can't start watching a triathlon and then call it a night halfway through the bike ride. Then last night I ended up watching rowing FFS. I NEVER watch rowing.

Can't see me making DAS at twenty to four, though...

Same.

But at least the triathlons were live and we also had decent shouts in both.

I have no idea what this horsey stuff on now is - I thought the dancing horses stuff had finished.

I might as well block out alternate hours in my Friday for naps now.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I have no idea what this horsey stuff on now is - I thought the dancing horses stuff had finished.

Ah - is this still the olympics? For a minute I thought they had cut away to a live feed from [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION]'s garden.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Staying up tonight to watch the mens 3000m steeplechase as my mate's son (phil norman) is in it.

Eurosport 1

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I went to e BMX racing this morning/afternoon. Fantastic results for Team GB, silver in the men's and gold in the women's. From my vantage point i managed to see roughly 20% of both races. I'd like to think that my support is what got us those medals.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Ah - is this still the olympics? For a minute I thought they had cut away to a live feed from [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION]'s garden.

I bloody hate horses - they’re all legs, nose, and teeth; with a propensity to kick you. Reminds me of my ex.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Less so the rowers. Only 2 medals, worst since 1996. We’ve really taken our hands off the oars here, I wonder if there were funding issues?

Oh well, can’t wait for the Velodrome now!

No funding issues, rowing got some of the highest lottery funding as we traditionally have been so good at it. Very little group rowing done during the pandemic, most rowers having to spend time on an Ergo at home. Same for most countries but not all. It could be as simple as Jürgen Gröbler, the GB coach, stepping down in 2020.

There will certainly be finding issues coming into the next Olympics as they fund based on success.

It will be interesting to see how we get on in the velodrome now that the winning at all costs / bullying attitude has been superseded which worked very well for us previously.

BTW, I always hated BMX but am a complete convert.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
No funding issues, rowing got some of the highest lottery funding as we traditionally have been so good at it. Very little group rowing done during the pandemic, most rowers having to spend time on an Ergo at home. Same for most countries but not all. It could be as simple as Jürgen Gröbler, the GB coach, stepping down in 2020.

There will certainly be finding issues coming into the next Olympics as they fund based on success.

I'm no expert but from what I've seen the British rowers do look like they are going backwards quickly. Unfortunately just not as backwards quickly as everybody else.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm no expert but from what I've seen the British rowers do look like they are going backwards quickly. Unfortunately just not as backwards quickly as everybody else.
In all seriousness the head honcho at the rowing fronted up very well this morning, recognising they are accountable and need to make changes without going over the top. Something that hasn't been mentioned is that the rowing group were only made up of 20% returning Olympians where that number is normally around 40-60%. That continuity drop off has clearly had an impact.

I hope people aren't too down on the rowers - they've done brilliantly for us over two decades, propping up the entire team in some of those Olympiads. They deserve a bit of patience to put it right, and given the right backing that's exactly what they'll do in Paris.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
GB off to a good start against Australia in the footbal.

Need one of these shots to go in.

Last edited:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

It will be interesting to see how we get on in the velodrome now that the winning at all costs / bullying attitude has been superseded which worked very well for us previously.

BTW, I always hated BMX but am a complete convert.

I think I'm right in saying that rowing got the highest funding.

BMX, on the other hand, got nothing. Today's medal winners raised cash through crowdfunding and working part time.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Eurosport Player has been excellent yet again. Every sport available on demand. I just watch what I want, when I want. Which so far has been Cycling road races, Handball, Volleyball, some Hockey and the Daley/Lee 10m synchro diving.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think I'm right in saying that rowing got the highest funding.

BMX, on the other hand, got nothing. Today's medal winners raised cash through crowdfunding and working part time.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Put simplistically:

Rowing = a sport for posh kids and the elite at Oxbridge
BMX = what chavs do on council estates and the skate park.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here