Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Tokyo Olympics

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
It's about to start and I hadn't even realised.

Women's football - GB v Chile kick-off 8.30am UK time.
It's on BBC2 if anyone's interested.

The underwhelming anticipation of both the Olympics and British Lions rugby tour compared to how excited we would all normally be is very sad.

Anyway let's hope Crodnilson can help lift our spirits in some way with a glorious insight.

SAC

May 21, 2014
The time difference doesn't help but I imagine I will at least watch the highlights each evening as I love the Olympics and Paralympics. The rowing starts on Friday which I intend to watch and no doubt will watch the track cycling if I'm still working from home that week.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

The underwhelming anticipation of both the Olympics and British Lions rugby tour compared to how excited we would all normally be is very sad.

Anyway let's hope Crodnilson can help lift our spirits in some way with a glorious insight.

Sadly, we cancelled our Lions trip but with hindsight, so pleased that we did.

All tests now at Cape Town and no crowds allowed.
That must have cost the host country millions in lost revenue.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Nice change from 3a.m. Football for me in SEAsia. Hoping to find a way to watch lots of it live online.

When was living in China during London Olympics you would see examples like the Chinese Badminton pair get all the way through to the final on successive nights with locals going crazy for it 5 or 6 evenings in a row at the bar, be due to play the Brits in final, only for a “last minute change” happen and them show volleyball or table tennis group stage instead. Turned out is because they lost the final so it wasn’t shown. When realised that it made it all the sweeter we pipped them to second place in the overall medal table. Friendly bets on matches on TV also led to quite a few free beers.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Zamora starts for Chile

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I do feel for the athletes. Many of them get one or perhaps two swings at getting a gold medal at the Olympics. They trained to peak in 2020 and it was canned. They've trained again for this year and who knows if it will actually go ahead. Any of them could be told to self-isolate, even when they have arrived, or could catch covid - and their moment, their opportunity, will be gone.

Some of these sports dish out medals like they're going out of fashion, and the best athletes get multiple opps to win (eg swimming), but if you do javelin or shot putt (what might be regarded as the real Olympian sports) and you get told to self-isolate the day before your event, that's it. Gone. Four more years to wait, that's if you'll still be at the top of your game at that point. That must take a special kind of emotional steel.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I really don't understand why the Olympics are going ahead.

Well I do, money. Do drug dealers get furlough?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Big Olympics fan here - went to Athens 2004 and saw 7 of the 9 GB golds. Back in the UK for now, so planning on doing a few all-night viewing sessions.

Clearly not the hype around it this time around for obvious reasons, but it's live sport on terrestrial TV and that's never a bad thing.

As for GB Women's Football, the best thing about it is that Phil Neville is nowhere near the management.

Favourite moment so far - the 10-1 verbal countdown over the tannoy system immediately before kick-off which was finished with fake crowd cheering noises.

Unfortunately the game had kicked off a few seconds earlier, so the cheering actually coincided with a fierce midfield challenge on pitch and players down injured.

All that was missing was a cheeky rendition of the funeral march song and 'you're going home in a Sapporo ambulance'.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
First day of the Olympics, first day of Australian defeat (in the softball by Japan).

Marvellous, long may it continue.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
'When the ball hits row Z'......

Chile have a secret weapon here.

Zamora.JPG

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm surprised TeamGB are playing football. I always thought the FAs of the home nations wouldn't take part because they wanted to retain their own identities. I know England and Wales made an exception for 2012 but I don't think football has been played as GB apart from that.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm surprised TeamGB are playing football. I always thought the FAs of the home nations wouldn't take part because they wanted to retain their own identities. I know England and Wales made an exception for 2012 but I don't think football has been played as GB apart from that.

It only the girls. Nobody will notice.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
And Australia have just been awarded the 2032 games, to be held in Brisbane.

That sounds a long, long time ahead. I'll be 70 then, I hope I'm above ground still and fit enough to visit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here