Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Top data analytics firm predicts Albion will finish 8th in 2021-22....

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Today there is an interesting article in the Athletic about the increasing use of data analysis in football, and specifically in player recruitment - Explained: How data and analytics are changing how clubs approach transfers – and why Man United should sign Camavinga next

One of the featured companies is Real Analytics - shortly after Virgil van Dijk got injured last season (with Liverpool still top), RA ran their simulations and had the Reds finishing third, with 69 points. [Narrator's voice: Liverpool finished third, with 69 points]. They also correctly predicted the top three positions and the bottom five positions.

Anyway, the author of the article (Matt Slater) has shared the table as predicted by RA for this coming season. NOTE: this simulation was run one week ago and obviously reflects the team's squads as they were then. It will be interesting to see how accurate this turns out to be:-

123421.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fingers crossed Data Analytics knows where the back of the net is.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Little between 8th (us as best of the rest) and 15th - I hope we are fishing in that pond.

Then a big gap down to the bottom 5 serious contenders for relegation.

I'd be interested in how they arrived at that conclusion with Palace's squad...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
This is massively flawed. It fails to take into account the size of the club, otherwise there’d be no way a Team Like Brighton would finish ahead of someone like Leeds.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Today there is an interesting article in the Athletic about the increasing use of data analysis in football, and specifically in player recruitment - Explained: How data and analytics are changing how clubs approach transfers – and why Man United should sign Camavinga next

One of the featured companies is Real Analytics - shortly after Virgil van Dijk got injured last season (with Liverpool still top), RA ran their simulations and had the Reds finishing third, with 69 points. [Narrator's voice: Liverpool finished third, with 69 points]. They also correctly predicted the top three positions and the bottom five positions.

Anyway, the author of the article (Matt Slater) has shared the table as predicted by RA for this coming season. NOTE: this simulation was run one week ago and obviously reflects the team's squads as they were then. It will be interesting to see how accurate this turns out to be:-

View attachment 138828

That would be heartwarming if true. But I'm surprised Wolves predicted to do so well. I see them going down with Palarse and Bumley....

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I will be astounded if we finish that high. Bring it on

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
0.2% chance of top 4?

That fact that you’re alive today shows you’ve already beaten the odds of quadrillions to 1, so why be scared of a measly 0.2%. :albion2:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Bullshit.

But nice bullshit.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
From the article in the Athletic they do a table in October predicting the final table which is pretty accurate they had both the top three and the bottom three correct even that far out plus almost every side including us within a couple of points accuracy. Loads of variables at this point but promising for sure.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Feels about right to me. There's not much between any of the bottom 12, just as there wasn't last season. Presumably the model has our finishing improving and our position rocketing as a result.

That said, the data showed Alireza being a prolific goalscorer so who knows.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
8th position eh? I'll take that. But is it actually so preposterous? With 1.5% chance of a top 4 place (of course not), but only a 2% chance of relegation (really?), it looks like we actually could be heading for a mid table finish. Dare to dream.

One placing I don't agree with is Palace. I think they may be in for a Vieira new manager bounce. ****puts tin hat on****

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
I'd be disappointed with that.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Looks a good prediction but no doubt Newcastle will wriggle out of the bottom 3.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
This is massively flawed. It fails to take into account the size of the club, otherwise there’d be no way a Team Like Brighton would finish ahead of someone like Leeds.

Comforting to see, though, that the Big Six will be reclaiming their rightful spots.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Explains the terrible odds currently available from Paddy Power etc.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
What a pile of absolute garbage. If we make it to 15th then we’ve done very well, if we make it to 14th then we’ve had an outstanding season. There is no chance we’ll finish higher than that on our budget.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here