Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Penalty taking.

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE
Penalty taking is a results business. There are no points for style. It’s yes or no.
You only have one purpose get the job done.
At what point in that long lonely walk to the spot do you think “ I can be really cool or clever here”?
Having the courage to say I’m in and knowing that immeasurable glory waits why would you take a risk?
Jonny Wilkinson didn’t attempt a hand stand in his run up in 2003.
Given the same situation I would only have one thought, this is going in and the keeper is going in too if he gets in the way.
I’m even more confused when you have seen what you current manager went through as a player.
I just don’t get it.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
I've always thought that a professional footballer should be able to hit the top corner 9 times out of 10 at least, practiced so many times that it's muscle memory. It's pretty much unsaveable, I don't get why it doesn't happen more.

Yes I get that in a high pressure situation it's not that easy, but surely it's better to risk it than go low

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE
Aim for a corner, hit the ball hard and true, and if you put your laces through it, the keeper won't get to the ball however well he guesses.

Exactly, take the keeper out of the equation.

Why complicate it.

Lampard made the comment that in watching the keeper he wasn’t looking at the ball and scuffed it.

Yoda

English & European
And to people saying you can't practice them to the level of intimidation and crowd trying to put you off. Just have a work with Mark McGhee.

Remember them saying he had the rest of the squad, reserves & youth team lined up either side of the takers and behind the goal doing their best to put our selected takers off in the build up the the play off second leg against Swindon.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Every player who has ever taken penalties has missed at one time or another. Not one player has 100% success.

Even Matt Le Tissier had one saved, but 47 of 48 penalties isn’t bad…

Anyone know (without cheating) who saved his “missed” spot kick?

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
And to people saying you can't practice them to the level of intimidation and crowd trying to put you off. Just have a work with Mark McGhee.

Remember them saying he had the rest of the squad, reserves & youth team lined up either side of the takers and behind the goal doing their best to put our selected takers off in the build up the the play off second leg against Swindon.

All well and good - and we did the job that night - but that really is nothing compared to a full stadium when it actually matters. There is little jeopardy in that scenario.

AlbionInUs

Oct 11, 2019
US
Penalties other then the conventional “hit the ball hard and into the corner” can be legitimate options. Jorginho, for example, scored 29/33 penalties in his career. That being said, penalties like Jorginho’s are certainly NOT for every player

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE
In the times of extended backroom staffs including psychologists and players being schooled in media and more, aren’t players helped in blocking out white noise or get in the zoom etc?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I have never liked the two step or stutter step penalty. Just run in from the 'D' and smash the ball into a corner.
That said, one of the best penalties I've seen from an Albion player

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Even Matt Le Tissier had one saved, but 47 of 48 penalties isn’t bad…

Anyone know (without cheating) who saved his “missed” spot kick?

Big Norms
Have a listen to his stories about Cloughie on the Undr the cosh podcast.
Hilarious.

Last edited:

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Penalties other then the conventional “hit the ball hard and into the corner” can be legitimate options. Jorginho, for example, scored 29/33 penalties in his career. That being said, penalties like Jorginho’s are certainly NOT for every player

This is the thing. Rashford’s penalty % pre game is the same as Kane’s. Arguably he did everything right and then ballsed up the easy bit of rolling the ball in the empty net having sent the keeper the wrong way. Waddle and Pearce both tried to smash it in and that didn’t go well…No one right way to do it.

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE
This is the thing. Rashford’s penalty % pre game is the same as Kane’s. Arguably he did everything right and then ballsed up the easy bit of rolling the ball in the empty net having sent the keeper the wrong way. Waddle and Pearce both tried to smash it in and that didn’t go well…No one right way to do it.

Agreed and but unless you have a high level of success over many occasions it seems a strange time to employ that method.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I've always thought that a professional footballer should be able to hit the top corner 9 times out of 10 at least, practiced so many times that it's muscle memory. It's pretty much unsaveable, I don't get why it doesn't happen more.

Yes I get that in a high pressure situation it's not that easy, but surely it's better to risk it than go low

9 out of 10 in the top corner is a tough ask.
As a general rule of thumb in a penalty shoot out i would expect professional footballers at international level to aim for the area in between the posts in order to avoid doing a Rashford.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
I think everyplayer just develops there own style of penalty and try and perfect it.
All depends on the individual really.
What cannot be practice of course is the pressure of a big shootout or important penalty.
Even Harry Kane aimed a bit lower than usual to make sure and was lucky to get another chance to tuck it away against schmiecal.
On another day rashford puts it in the goal and it's a great penalty.
Strange things happen to mind and body in those sort of situations so the player just needs a style that suits him and knows will give him the best chance of scoring when his hearts in his mouth and his legs are like jelly.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Scoring 2 out of 5 penalties is pretty awful despite the pressure, which should be part of the training for the tournament.

The Germans scored all 10 in 1990 and 1996 against England.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
I read that penalty was Sakas first ever professional penalty kick. With hindsight it was pretty naive to put him up to it.Bizarre from Southgate, doubly so when you consider his PK in that shootout

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here