Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Why am I still not excited about England?

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Is anyone else feeling the same? I'm suspecting it's because of too many years of being let down. Even the win over Germany hasn't reignited the fire. We eased out of the group with 7 points, beat arguably our arch rivals and (expectedly) thrashed Ukraine and haven't even yet conceded.

I'm not that fussed about what happens Wednesday. If we win, great. If we lose, no biggie.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cos you're Scotchish?

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I was obsessed with football in my teens and twenties but as i get older my interest is slowly going, especially for internationals. Don't get me wrong i am still passionate about the national team but not as much as i use to be.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Is anyone else feeling the same? I'm suspecting it's because of too many years of being let down. Even the win over Germany hasn't reignited the fire. We eased out of the group with 7 points, beat arguably our arch rivals and (expectedly) thrashed Ukraine and haven't even yet conceded.

I'm not that fussed about what happens Wednesday. If we win, great. If we lose, no biggie.

Feel exactly the same, just can't find the enthusiasm anymore. Could be the fact that we've been let down so many times over the years or in my case I think it's just a total apathy with football in general.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Because, deep down, loads of us are expecting it to end in abject disappointment - most have known nothing different with England in our lifetimes. Hence we aren’t getting too excited…….

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

I was feeling like this myself until recently, but it is obvious Southgate has created something special here and the nation is believing in him. His team is very good. We've reached this stage before and lost but I fancy we have too much firepower for the Danes, and then the crowd could get us over the line in the final.

The players are not the most likeable but the way they have bonded and egos set to one side is impressive.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Did anyone else not actually celebrate Maguire’s goal as you thought he was offside and waiting for VAR

It has sucked the life out of our game

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
I more excited than I would normally be, but still not at the level of seeing Brighton play a pre-season friendly. I think it’s a case of being so invested in my club, that my country comes a very distant second!

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
To answer your original question; because you’re dead inside and didn’t believe in the idea of Brexit enough.

*just kidding*

Although, I have enjoyed watching England and the last two performances — which have been way above my expectations. I find myself not drawn into the usual hyperbole of England at a major tournament. Maybe it is all the years of hype and let down — but if we get to final maybe I’ll let myself get carried away. :)

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Did anyone else not actually celebrate Maguire’s goal as you thought he was offside and waiting for VAR

It has sucked the life out of our game

I was too busy laughing at more than half the punters in the pub rushing back in from their half time fags having missed the goal :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Although, I have enjoyed watching England and the last two performances — which have been way above my expectations. I find myself not drawn into the usual hyperbole of England at a major tournament. Maybe it is all the years of hype and let down — but if we get to final maybe I’ll let myself get carried away. :)

This.

I'm very pleased not excited.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
I more excited than I would normally be, but still not at the level of seeing Brighton play a pre-season friendly. I think it’s a case of being so invested in my club, that my country comes a very distant second!

This is one of my theories. I think for many if they follow a club side closely and go to games regularly all of your emotion and passion is invested in that. I suspect the majority of passionate England fans don't follow a club closely. They might be Arsenal "fans" or Liverpool "fans" but how closely and how many games per season?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
giphy.gif

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Another feeling the same. Didn't really watch the group games - decided to watch the Germany game and enjoyed it but still um'ed and ah'ed about watching the Ukraine game ( which I did and enjoyed ). Not sure if I'll watch the Denmark game or not. Think I fell out of love when the likes of Rooney kept getting picked despite them clearly not caring very much.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here