Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] SOUTHGATE: I'm finally heating up a MASSIVE humble pie.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
I can put it off no longer. I did not think he had it in him and have said as much in the past, often using very unsavoury language.

Who else needs some? Come on, don't be shy...it's good to confess.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Don't worry, it'll be thrown in the bin if things go belly up in the week.

The supermarkets have to stock up on Fickle Pie in these times.

Still, good to have another Southgate fanboy. National teams thrive on good characters as much as great tacticians. That's why I've backed him all along.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Fair play for your honesty. And you won't be alone in needing to eat humble pie, but there will be fewer that get round to eat it.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
He's an awful manager but a decent guy. Nothings changed there but with good coaches around him his great man management is carrying him through. Graeme Jones seems to work magic wherever he goes,

I'm gobsmacked that we haven't screwed up, it's in our DNA. Luck seems to be with us, Philips not seeing red last match and the German miss, we've been on the wrong end of those previously, always.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Don't worry, it'll be thrown in the bin if things go belly up in the week.

The supermarkets have to stock up on Fickle Pie in these times.

Still, good to have another Southgate fanboy. National teams thrive on good characters as much as great tacticians. That's why I've backed him all along.

I think it’s purely down to his 2 new NSC coaches to be honest:whistle:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well yes obviously, anyone who says otherwise is either lying or Sheebo.

That said I'm grateful that I have GS' approach to this tournament explained to me early doors.
So I was lucky enough to climb down from my ivory tower long before many others, who look like nincompoops now.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I like a bit of European flavour in my pies so I'm not eating a humble one unless it comes with an olive branch.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
I thought the ending of his post match interview was quite telling with his honesty about his very difficult decisions on having to leave three players out of his match day squad especially his belief that the unlucky players really deserve to be in the squad. He went right up in my estimation as he didn't really have to say anything, definitely great man management. Well done Gareth.

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
He's an awful manager but a decent guy. Nothings changed there but with good coaches around him his great man management is carrying him through. Graeme Jones seems to work magic wherever he goes,

I'm gobsmacked that we haven't screwed up, it's in our DNA. Luck seems to be with us, Philips not seeing red last match and the German miss, we've been on the wrong end of those previously, always.

Nail on head. Just look at what Jones managed at Newcastle at the end of last season. Part of good management is getting the right people around you. Southgate has shown in the past that he is tactically weak so he has done something about it. Fair play.

Of course, if we f*** it up against Denmark (who look pretty good), we can point to that German miss and needing Pickford to rescue us a few times to prove that we were never as good as the results suggested.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I like a bit of European flavour in my pies so I'm not eating a humble one unless it comes with an olive branch.

My brain is telling me it's a take on a thread we had here once. So a sub conscious part of me is laughing but I still don't know why.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Awful manager with great man management? HTF does that work ? Biggest part of his job. He’s surrounded himself with those good coaches.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Nail on head. Just look at what Jones managed at Newcastle at the end of last season. Part of good management is getting the right people around you. Southgate has shown in the past that he is tactically weak so he has done something about it. Fair play.

Of course, if we f*** it up against Denmark (who look pretty good), we can point to that German miss and needing Pickford to rescue us a few times to prove that we were never as good as the results suggested.

And at that point it will all be Southgate’s fault and Jones’s contribution will be absolved of any blame. - it is indeed a fickle world :)

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Does anybody else think that we actually have a number of seriously talented youngsters in the squad now. ?

I can't ever remember there being such a large number of brilliant players , that aren't even regulars. ( Grealish, Saka, Sancho, White, Mount, Chillwell,Rashford .....almost an embarrassment of riches ).

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Does anybody else think that we actually have a number of seriously talented youngsters in the squad now. ?

I can't ever remember there being such a large number of brilliant players , that aren't even regulars. ( Grealish, Saka, Sancho, White, Mount, Chillwell,Rashford .....almost an embarrassment of riches ).

I said the same myself.

Let’s just wait to see if we can actually win a trophy.

No doubt, Belgium were having a similar discussion 10 years ago.

Our youngster do look pretty special though, let’s hope they can deliver.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here