Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] These next two Tuesdays. Alert! Alert!

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
https://www.gov.uk/alerts

"Emergency alerts will warn you if there’s a danger to life nearby.
In an emergency, your phone or tablet will receive an alert with advice about how to stay safe."

Alien/Russian/Chinese invasion imminent?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I think it's the meltdown when when England play out another goalless draw. The following week is the customary exit to a team that's good.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Android 11 or later.

Therefore the Government do not see it as important in notifying me or saving my life.

Yet again the Government failing on technology.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Android 11 or later.

Therefore the Government do not see it as important in notifying me or saving my life.

Yet again the Government failing on technology.

Colour tv programs arent in colour on black and white TVs either probably for similar reasons

Sometimes technology simply isnt backwards compatible. Given that the vast majority of people change phones regularly, and existing phones update OS automatically, you really expect the government to backdate the tech to be compatible with phones that simply wont be around in 6 months time. Chances are they would need a completely different system to work with older phones ,for twice the cost for an ever diminishing number of users as phones are updated or replaced. thats assuming the tech would work anyway .How far should they go back, maybe to Nookia bricks?

Maybe the tech that makes this work simply isnt compatable with older operating systems , in exactly the same way that record players wont play CDs or CD players wont play tapes

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
To be fair this is quality and very much succeeding at tech. One thing we are good at in this country is tech.

People check their phones every 5 mins these days, so bit of a no brainer to receive crucial info on them if needed.

id say this requirement means its zero to do with government ability but the phone OS makers have put in a "alert" service*. what would be a bit more useful is something SMS based so not excluding the large proportion of users without the latest updates or older phones. its also 4G only so if there is an emergency out of coverage, out of luck.

* with an implication of location tracking to be usful. brought to you by the OS makers that told our government they wouldnt be allowed to do proximity analysis for Covid app :thumbsup:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
To be fair this is quality and very much succeeding at tech. One thing we are good at in this country is tech.

People check their phones every 5 mins these days, so bit of a no brainer to receive crucial info on them if needed.

This tech is very common all across Europe since many years...

Colour tv programs arent in colour on black and white TVs either probably for similar reasons

Sometimes technology simply isnt backwards compatible. Given that the vast majority of people change phones regularly, and existing phones update OS automatically, you really expect the government to backdate the tech to be compatible with phones that simply wont be around in 6 months time. Chances are they would need a completely different system to work with older phones ,for twice the cost for an ever diminishing number of users as phones are updated or replaced. thats assuming the tech would work anyway .How far should they go back, maybe to Nookia bricks?

Maybe the tech that makes this work simply isnt compatable with older operating systems , in exactly the same way that record players wont play CDs or CD players wont play tapes

I get emergency SMS from the Swedish government (like if there is a fire in some industry in whatever city I'm in) on my phone (old non-smartphone Nokia) so it cant be that hard.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Received these messages whilst in Houston - one was for a child abduction. I thought it was a great idea so I’m glad we’ve bought it in

Iford Albion

Jul 30, 2017
This tech is very common all across Europe since many years...

I get emergency SMS from the Swedish government (like if there is a fire in some industry in whatever city I'm in) on my phone (old non-smartphone Nokia) so it cant be that hard.

They not only know where you are but also what you like on your pizzas. Surveillance culture. One day you will get a pizza delivery you didn't order but it will be your favourite with extra special anchovies and you will eat it.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
They not only know where you are but also what you like on your pizzas. Surveillance culture. One day you will get a pizza delivery you didn't order but it will be your favourite with extra special anchovies and you will eat it.

I dont eat fish and especially not fish that sounds like its a mushroom.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
id say this requirement means its zero to do with government ability but the phone OS makers have put in a "alert" service*. what would be a bit more useful is something SMS based so not excluding the large proportion of users without the latest updates or older phones. its also 4G only so if there is an emergency out of coverage, out of luck.

* with an implication of location tracking to be usful. brought to you by the OS makers that told our government they wouldnt be allowed to do proximity analysis for Covid app :thumbsup:

If you have an old phone you are a bad consumer, of no monetary value to big business and it is beneficial to them if you die.

I am joking. Sort of.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I don't want to know about the nuke strike. I just want to look up, briefly wonder why the sky is white and then have my face melt off without knowing what hit me, thanks. Is there an app for that? QR code or something?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here