Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Gender and biological sex

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was surprised to hear on the radio today that someone had to appeal a dismissal from work (it was actually 'contract not renewed' - I have since looked up the case of Maya Forstater) for claiming that biological sex cannot be changed. Forstater won the appeal. However there are expressions of disappointment from some spokespeople for transgender organisations. This is baffling and disappointing. Here is a recent statement from the British Medical Journal:

"Gender identity information can be valuable to help guide the clinical encounter, respect the transgender patient’s sense of self and gain a fuller picture as to healthcare needs. But gender identity should be recorded in addition to, not act as a replacement for, biological sex. If an unknown patient comes in to A&E, unaccompanied and unconscious, their gender identity would not be ascertainable. However, their sex would remain observable, and would make a difference to that patient’s care.

Healthcare cannot collectively discard words for the two biological sexes. Awareness of the importance of clinical research into sex differences in medicine, especially for the female sex[9], has just been highlighted by the pandemic. How would such work be done if the sexes cannot be named?

Clear language on sex is vital in medicine, science, and public health education.

It is surprising these words should need to be typed in a Rapid Response to the BMJ"

In case there is any misunderstanding, I fully support those who classify their gender as something other than the two main (there are others including XYY but they are relatively rare) biological sexes. But their biological sex and gender may not be the same. It's simple, really :shrug:

The judgement today states "“Just as the legal recognition of civil partnerships does not negate the right of a person to believe that marriage should only apply to heterosexual couples, becoming the acquired gender ‘for all purposes’ within the meaning of GRA does not negate a person’s right to believe, like the claimant, that as a matter of biology a trans person is still their natal sex. Both beliefs may well be profoundly offensive and even distressing to many others, but they are beliefs that are and must be tolerated in a pluralist society."

The other viewpoint is this "Louise Rea, a solicitor at the law firm Bates Wells, which advised the CGD, called the decision “concerning” and “a much narrower interpretation of the previously understood position that a belief which conflicts with the fundamental rights of others will not be protected.

“The EAT’s decision sets the threshold for exclusion so high that it will leave marginalised groups more vulnerable to discrimination and harassment and place employers in an impossible position. Our clients are considering their next steps.”"

I am not sure what Maya Forstater's axe is here or why she wants to grind it, but she describes herself as holding "gender-critical views". I suspect the law will have to be changed so that if someone wants to insist that, for example, Jayne County is 'really a man' they can only do so in a biological sex-specific context, for example, they are a GP and Jayne is seeking HRT.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
My head hurts trying to read that. It might just be because my home office is a tad too warm, or because I've spent the day reading old code. But if someone could kindly tell me if I should be sad or angry I would very much appreciate it.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Occam’s Razor, H. Log off and re-read the LOTR trilogy, it’d be a more useful waste of your time :thumbsup::falmer::ascarf:

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
is it me or has this whole thing only really come into existence (more prominently) in the last 3-4 years?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I am an accountant used to reading boring stuff about tax, but even this is too much for me.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
This is a tough one. Just like many on this board, I wasn't taught at school about the differences between biological sex and gender because trans people didn't have a voice.

Ten minutes googling will come up with the modern definitions for those who are confused but I think it's important that some people know the biological sex of a person, those people however, are the sorts of people unlikely to get their pro-nouns muddled up. The language should change though because you don't want to be referred to as male by anyone if you've swapped your winkie for a twinkie.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Am I allowed to say that's a load of old bollocks or is that not allowed anymore?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Seems there is now a call for gender neutral toilets in schools.

I just wonder if anyone can inform me what the difference is between gender neutral and unisex toilets.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
The whole pronouns ‘thing’ is utter stupidity.

99% of people are either male or female . The other 1% should go about their lives with a bit more respect for the other 99% and stop forcing their mental health issues down everyone else’s throats . We don’t care , do what you like .

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

I just wonder if anyone can inform me what the difference is between gender neutral and unisex toilets.

Unisex are shared toilets that all genders/sexes use at the same time. Gender neutral toilets are single occupancy toilets that any gender/sex can use that are usually equipped for disabled use also. We had them in a place I used to work. We always referred to them as "everyone" Toilets.
It's less confusing than it seems. It's a toilet that anyone can use. Basically, no different to existing disabled toilets.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The whole pronouns ‘thing’ is utter stupidity.

99% of people are either male or female . The other 1% should go about their lives with a bit more respect for the other 99% and stop forcing their mental health issues down everyone else’s throats . We don’t care , do what you like .

How does that work then? "Do what you like. Stop doing that"

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia

They had them at my daughters secondary school . some girls though weren't though happy to share with boys and so would " hold on " until they got home .
Not good for their health but concerns would be met by transphobic accusations .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here