Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England v New Zealand - 2nd Test - Edgbaston

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Root is our best batsman, I’ve always subscribed to having your best batsman at 3, tough one though I agree as his record is significantly better at 4 than 3 if I remember rightly.

The "put the best batsman at 3" idea tends to be an Australian thing, since the ball doesn't move about as long down there so you're less likely to expose your best player to a miracle ball.

Certainly Ian Chappel is always banging on about this, despite the fact that he generally batted at 3 with his brother Greg (a significantly better batsman) at 4.

I think I'm right in saying that no.3 hasn't been the position with the highest average since the 30s, when it's skewed by Bradman (and Wally Hammond) batting there.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I think Stokes gives more balance at 4/5, he can play defensive and also attacking so you want him to be able to come in at 27/3 or 250/3, not early all the time, which let’s be honest the majority of the time our number 3 is out there early.

Root is our best batsman, I’ve always subscribed to having your best batsman at 3, tough one though I agree as his record is significantly better at 4 than 3 if I remember rightly.

The idea of putting your best batsman at 3 is a purely Australian invention, England have usually put their best batsman at 4 (most recently Root & Pietersen).

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The idea of putting your best batsman at 3 is a purely Australian invention, England have usually put their best batsman at 4 (most recently Root & Pietersen).
Tends not to matter too much where you put England's best batsman these days, he gets out in the middle far too quickly wherever.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's looking like our cricketers have decided they want to focus on England v Croatia Sunday arvo.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Pope seems to be the new Ramprakash sadly. One of the finest batsman there is but cannot get his round things on the top stage. I still think they need to stick with him.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Looking at the England batting line up for this game, I simply do not believe there aren't significantly better players in the county game.

If we hadn't made the pathetic decision to let our players go to the IPL then we would at least have been competitive. But it does show how little strength in depth there is at the moment. Heaven only knows what Cummins will do to this lot in Australia....

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Burns out chasing one well outside off :nono:

171-5 a pretty feeble effort

and I am finding the pissed up football-style singing irritating too. Test Match cricket should be watched with a hushed and respectful sense of awe and expectation.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Looking at the England batting line up for this game, I simply do not believe there aren't significantly better players in the county game.

Sussex usually manage to find themselves up against them.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Felt sorry for Bracey there. Genuine 'WTF did I do that for ?' moment. All been there in cricket.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Was in great form before being picked by England but boy is he shot now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here