Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter watch

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Yes mate. I’m sure Tony Bloom will happily let our brilliant manager go along with £100m + worth of talent. Shall we throw in Ben White as well?

[tweet]1402279542719406091[/tweet]

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Don't know whether to laugh or cry at these tweets...cry with laughter maybe...

Must be a 5yr old writing this stuff, surely?

[tweet]1402639218044768257[/tweet]

[tweet]1402638417540886536[/tweet]

[tweet]1402643241623826433[/tweet]

"Good move for both parties"!

"Palace are more stable"!

Bullet point 4 in the first tweet isn't far off the mark! Apart from that seems even more deluded (stupid) than Leeds fans thinking that they could decide whether to give White back or not!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
A friend, and one of the gang that took me to my first games ( ie 70ish) commented elsewhere.

Why would Potter want to leave Brighton for Everton, to be the perennial bridesmaid.

THats all I and you need need to hear. . . .

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Rafa now on Everton’s list apparently......makes sense as still lives on Merseyside and is a free agent. GP links seem to have gone a bit quiet again after a couple of days of noise - perhaps Tony has given a polite ‘**** off’ to an inquiry............

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Yes mate. I’m sure Tony Bloom will happily let our brilliant manager go along with £100m + worth of talent. Shall we throw in Ben White as well?

[tweet]1402279542719406091[/tweet]

Stick an extra £10m on and we'll give them the training ground as well.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The Grand Old Team site is quite an interesting read. A lot of the pro Potter posts are a bit lukewarm. There is a definite sense that they could do better and they would be doing him a favour rather than the other way around. Seems like quite a few of them have an over inflated opinion of their club. Of course that’s not uncommon in football but it doesn’t half lead to disappointment in the long run.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

That is some fantasy thinking.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The Matchday 365 tweets have to be a Palace mole, nothing else...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The Matchday 365 tweets have to be a Palace mole, nothing else...

Yep - calls palace ‘we’ - just a sad clueless delusional **** trying to look like an independent Twitter account :ffsparr: Joining Palace over the Albion :lol:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Surely Pardew is a better "fit" for Palace than Potter.

Bring Alan back to Palace !!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I don't see a better fit for Potter than Brighton, there is clearly mutual respect between Potter, Bloom, Ashworth and Barber, and we bring in or develop the young players he seems to enjoy nurturing to greater levels. I personally don't think he would want any other job at the moment, I think he wants to realise the potential that he can see that this club and squad has with his guidance. The Potter out guys are going to be so glad they didn't get what they were calling for over the next few seasons.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I don't see a better fit for Potter than Brighton, there is clearly mutual respect between Potter, Bloom, Ashworth and Barber, and we bring in or develop the young players he seems to enjoy nurturing to greater levels. I personally don't think he would want any other job at the moment, I think he wants to realise the potential that he can see that this club and squad has with his guidance. The Potter out guys are going to be so glad they didn't get what they were calling for over the next few seasons.

[emoji106] well said.

I’m looking at the Everton and Spurs fan reactions, a lot of them are still crying over Potter. And with bigger clubs looking over our players as well we are clearly doing something right as a club.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East

That's all well and good (I agree with the vast majority), but if the reports in the media are to be believed, Ancelotti was on £11.5m p.a. at Everton. I'm not saying they'd offer that to Potter, but clearly, they have plenty of managerial budget to play with.
What's Potter on with us? £1m? £1.5m?

No matter how worthy a chap he is and how good a fit for the project he is, a big offer (£4m? £5m?) on, say, a 3 year contract would give him £12-15m even if he's sacked after a year. That's pretty tough to turn down for anyone.

I'd dearly love him to stay (and think he will), but if a club with deep pockets like Everton really wants him, it would be very difficult to turn down, unfinished business here or not.

Money talks!

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
That's all well and good (I agree with the vast majority), but if the reports in the media are to be believed, Ancelotti was on £11.5m p.a. at Everton. I'm not saying they'd offer that to Potter, but clearly, they have plenty of managerial budget to play with.

No matter how worthy a chap he is and how good a fit for the project he is, a big offer (£4m? £5m?) on, say, a 3 year contract would give him £12-15m even if he's sacked after a year. That's pretty tough to turn down for anyone.

I'd dearly love him to stay (and think he will), but if a club with deep pockets like Everton really wants him, it would be very difficult to turn down, unfinished business here or not.

Money talks!

I agree. Would be a big step in his career too. He'd likely get some good financial backing, it's a good set of players, great exposure for him, etc. etc.

Project or no project, he didn't grow up supporting Brighton. He doesn't have some sort of special emotional attachment or loyalty. It's a job - a good one, and a nice fit for everyone, but still a job.
I don't think it's that deep.

That said, I really hope he stays with us. And I'm not sure these big clubs are going to take the gamble on him this year. There are so many "safer" options.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Money talks!

I think if there are genuinely offers like this going Potters way Tony would offer an improved contract. To be fair it may be in the works already.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'd imagine GP got a better deal when he signed his extended contract last year, or whenever it was. . . .

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

Money talks!

Would be interesting to see what sort of contract he has. Especially given he was offered a new one very rapidly. One does wonder: has the new contract been structured with automatic salary bumps based on team performance in line with the long term goals that have been set? So perhaps there may be an incentive there for him to stay, even if at this point in time he may not be getting as much?

I can imagine he'd be keen to repeat the success with Ostersunds by taking us to Europe before he steps up to a "bigger" club. So we may not need to outright match what Everton can offer, just get "close enough" as long as as he helps the club achieve ambitions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here