Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Post your most controversial opinion***

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Tradition is just dead people telling us what to do.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Christmas Dinner, its actually I'm incredibly dull meal

Deciding to f*ck off Christmas Dinner and get a massive curry instead is one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.

Wake up, presents with family, pub from open to close and then order the entire menu on the way home. Unreal.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Seems pretty fitting after some of the threads on here recently, so here we go.

Hip-Hop is the most creative, experimental and interesting genre of music there is currently. Even if you don’t like it, I think it’s hard to deny that it’s miles clear of rock, punk, folk, whatever when it comes to young artists trying to create a unique sound. Yes, there’s a lot of cookie cutter deadwood but there is so much incredible stuff coming out constantly.

On top of that the U.K. scene currently pisses all over the Americans. In fact, we have the best hip-hop scene in the world and the U.K. drill sound is our biggest musical export since Oasis & Blur.

Most people who say they don’t like rap music haven’t heard very much of it and with a little information I could find an English rapper they like (or at least respect) within 3/4 attempts.

Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid, m.A.A.d City is the best album of the 21st century

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Seems pretty fitting after some of the threads on here recently, so here we go.

Hip-Hop is the most creative, experimental and interesting genre of music there is currently. Even if you don’t like it, I think it’s hard to deny that it’s miles clear of rock, punk, folk, whatever when it comes to young artists trying to create a unique sound. Yes, there’s a lot of cookie cutter deadwood but there is so much incredible stuff coming out constantly.

On top of that the U.K. scene currently pisses all over the Americans. In fact, we have the best hip-hop scene in the world and the U.K. drill sound is our biggest musical export since Oasis & Blur.

Most people who say they don’t like rap music haven’t heard very much of it and with a little information I could find an English rapper they like (or at least respect) within 3/4 attempts.

Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid, m.A.A.d City is the best album of the 21st century

I admire your passion for your music and I am always open to new music but Kendrick Lamar just sounds like a ruder version of Bruno Mars to me.
Please recommend something English that I Will like.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I admire your passion for your music and I am always open to new music but Kendrick Lamar just sounds like a ruder version of Bruno Mars to me.
Please recommend something English that I Will like.

Well if you think Kendrick sounds like a ruder Bruno Mars I’ll assume lyrical content is a big thing for you, so with that in mind.

If you want slick wordplay and a personal story then check out;

Dave - Enviroment (most Dave is 10/10 though)
Bugzy Malone - M.E.N III (video might be a good idea, helps explain some of the stuff he raps about)
Frankie Stew & Harvey Gunn - Emotions Dancing
Potter Payper - When I was Little

If you want something with deeper that tackles bigger topics;

Ocean Wisdom - Can’t Breath Either (Brighton’s very own)
Kano - Teardrops (the video from the Rated Awards 2020 is incredible)
BERWYN - Glory (for Jools Holland version on YT)
Cadet - Sterotype.

Tried to go for a mix of different styles there so hopefully you like something!

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Well if you think Kendrick sounds like a ruder Bruno Mars I’ll assume lyrical content is a big thing for you, so with that in mind.

Bugzy Malone - M.E.N III (video might be a good idea, helps explain some of the stuff he raps about)

Cadet - Sterotype.

Tried to go for a mix of different styles there so hopefully you like something!

Thanks very much.
I will give those a listen.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Cadet - Sterotype.

Just had a listen to a few of them.

Ocean Wisdom...he's really rather good, isn't he?

It's a shame that Kano's headline performance at Glastonbury this year is not streamable. It was absolutely stunning, by far the highlight of the whole broadcast.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
The National Treasures Judie Dench and Maggie Smith are really not that good as actresses

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Just had a listen to a few of them.

Ocean Wisdom...he's really rather good, isn't he?

It's a shame that Kano's headline performance at Glastonbury this year is not streamable. It was absolutely stunning, by far the highlight of the whole broadcast.

Great list from [MENTION=29779]Whitechapel[/MENTION]. If I can add a few:

Akala - Find No Enemy is a good introduction.

Mic Righteous - have a look at No More Part 2 on YouTube, and if you like that Kim K's Butt (not content you'd expect from the title perhaps) is another. Then dive in to a rich catalogue. The more you learn about his family background and psychological challenges (which he's very open about in the content) the more powerful and compelling a lot of it gets.

Devlin - not someone I listen to but popular with many, Community Outcast is maybe representative

For more political British rap Lowkey and Logic are people commonly cited.

Edit: also have a look at Jehst - Alcoholic Author, and Chester P - Fire in the Streets for some examples of wordplay and the different kind of lyrics you can get in UK rap. That Jehst track is nearly 20 years old but still sounds fresh.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Great list from [MENTION=29779]Whitechapel[/MENTION]. If I can add a few:

Akala - Find No Enemy is a good introduction.

Mic Righteous - have a look at No More Part 2 on YouTube, and if you like that Kim K's Butt (not content you'd expect from the title perhaps) is another. Then dive in to a rich catalogue. The more you learn about his family background and psychological challenges (which he's very open about in the content) the more powerful and compelling a lot of it gets.

Devlin - not someone I listen to but popular with many, Community Outcast is maybe representative

For more political British rap Lowkey and Logic are people commonly cited.

Edit: also have a look at Jehst - Alcoholic Author, and Chester P - Fire in the Streets for some examples of wordplay and the different kind of lyrics you can get in UK rap. That Jehst track is nearly 20 years old but still sounds fresh.

Lowkey is superb - his last album was incredible. 'Ghosts of Grenfell' brings tears into my eyes every time I hear it.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

I used to listen to the High Plains Drifter EP a lot. Even though I haven't played it much in the last 10/15 years, I still know most of the lyrics by heart.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I'm sorry, what? Football is just about the only area where that statement could be true! Southampton is a dull city of nothingness.

It's like saying Reading is a nicer place than Bath.

Southampton is actually a fairly interesting place. It has more of its medieval town walls standing than York, for example.

But Brighton is better.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Led Zeppelin is the most overrated band ever.

Because I’m a certain age - 68 next month - and a music fan, I get fed up with people assuming I must be a Led Zeppelin fan.
It’s all either just noise or meaningless pretentious claptrap like Stairway to Heaven.

I never got the Freddie Mercury/Queen adulation either. Bohemian Rhapsody? Bohemian pretentious b0110cks more like.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
The National Treasures Judie Dench and Maggie Smith are really not that good as actresses

While I wouldn’t agree that they are not that good, there are others of a similar vintage who are just as good - Judy Parfitt as in Call the Midwife, for example, and Eileen Atkins.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here