Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Odsonne Édouard

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Are we not paying the wages of the new guys then?

Ben White will be gone so his wage will offset Mwepu's. The same for Scherpen if Walton leaves.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Really?! This whole thread stinks of desperation! And all for a player who, whilst his movement and touches look good in the MTL, ultimately has scored less goals than Maupay did for Brentford in a stronger division.

And the delusion is pretty evident in some of the very funny theories put forward by people who have no real knowledge of the workings of transfer dealings but are apparently desperate for this to happen for some reason.

And crackpot conspiracy theories? Check out the poster who thinks our board are just trying to drive up the price for Palace to overpay!

I hope the thread carries on, it's a bit of pre-season light entertainment.

Well there’s always a few posts isn’t there [emoji6]

But regardless of your opinion on his ability, I don’t get why this is “desperation”. It’s a player we’ve been linked with. In the press and by Celtic ITKs. I have no idea of the truth, but seems reasonable to me people want to discuss it.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
This 'after the Champions League qualifier' line is what knocks down the story for me. If we want the player, why wait to bid? Why risk him getting injured in a competitive game?

That is a weird one admittedly. Maybe if Celtic progress they’ll have more money and less need to sell?

It’s an odd detail actually, which may add credence if you look at it that way.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
The press/agent have linked us with this bloke for years, Argus/Naylor position is nothing new. Seems to be an easy rumour because we always need a striker

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
That is a weird one admittedly. Maybe if Celtic progress they’ll have more money and less need to sell?

It’s an odd detail actually, which may add credence if you look at it that way.

Celtic were dreaming of £30m+ for Edouard last year. With a year left on this contract, they are probably looking at a 3rd of that with maybe 40% then going to PSG. They paid £9.27m for him apparently. They’ll struggle to get the money back, they are not going to come to terms with this until around midday, Tuesday 31st August which is when us and Palace will swoop.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Celtic were dreaming of £30m+ for Edouard last year. With a year left on this contract, they are probably looking at a 3rd of that with maybe 40% then going to PSG. They paid £9.27m for him apparently. They’ll struggle to get the money back, they are not going to come to terms with this until around midday, Tuesday 31st August which is when us and Palace will swoop.

Or a club wants to get him in ASAP to beat other teams and get him involved in preseason. The (potentially saved) money we are talking about is peanuts at this level.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well there’s always a few posts isn’t there [emoji6]

But regardless of your opinion on his ability, I don’t get why this is “desperation”. It’s a player we’ve been linked with. In the press and by Celtic ITKs. I have no idea of the truth, but seems reasonable to me people want to discuss it.
Regardless of whether I'd be enthusiastic about him coming to us or not, I can't help feeling that "Celtic ITK" = "Agent"!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Has been highlighted many times that is accountancy loss. Yes I’m sure money had to be added to the bank account, indeed The club borrowed some but not that amount.

Let's be clear about this - the club has lost big money over the last 2 seasons. This is not an "accountancy loss" - it is an actual cash loss. This makes the sale of a marquee player like Ben White inevitable.

People who are equating £50 mill incoming as being a potential transfer budget are dreaming. We still need to meet FFP targets and this means the club covering some of those losses with transfer sale income.

I expect that the club will be taking a longer term view, and this may involve planning for another big departure in a future transfer window, i.e. if we do splash £20 mill on a striker now I'd expect either Lamptey or Bissouma to be leaving in 2022 to part-fund that purchase. The purchase of Caicedo and the pursuit of Livramento support this theory.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Let's be clear about this - the club has lost big money over the last 2 seasons. This is not an "accountancy loss" - it is an actual cash loss. This makes the sale of a marquee player like Ben White inevitable.

People who are equating £50 mill incoming as being a potential transfer budget are dreaming. We still need to meet FFP targets and this means the club covering some of those losses with transfer sale income.

I expect that the club will be taking a longer term view, and this may involve planning for another big departure in a future transfer window, i.e. if we do splash £20 mill on a striker now I'd expect either Lamptey or Bissouma to be leaving in 2022 to part-fund that purchase. The purchase of Caicedo and the pursuit of Livramento support this theory.

I’m not denying anything but 67m loss is accountancy loss, the actual loss though big is not that figure.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020

Does signing Mwepu for £22 million not rather contradict this? I’d suggest it’s more a case of money being available for the right players.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Does signing Mwepu for £22 million not rather contradict this? I’d suggest it’s more a case of money being available for the right players.

Mwepu £22m? Didn’t the Argus guys say that the transfer fee was much lower than that, somewhere around £13-15m

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Mwepu £22m? Didn’t the Argus guys say that the transfer fee was much lower than that, somewhere around £13-15m

I saw on this thread someone said him and the Dutch keeper were £25mil and I thought no wayyyy is that right - I had Mweps down at about 12-15 too :shrug:

AlbionInUs

Oct 11, 2019
US

Last season, there was only one premier league club (Burnley) that recorded a transfer profit, despite COVID. I wouldn’t be surprised if at the very least we broke even, if not made a small loss, this transfer window in order to stay competitive.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I saw on this thread someone said him and the Dutch keeper were £25mil and I thought no wayyyy is that right - I had Mweps down at about 12-15 too :shrug:

Prior to him signing there was a report in the Athletic that said the fee will be in excess of £20m. But who knows?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

he did - and the only source for £22m was the subsequently discredited (lots of post Mwepu guesswork) Twitter account that had lifted news of the transfer from a Salzburg forum (and an african journo close to Mwepu. The forum openly joked at idea it was 25m euros.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Then factor in the fees we received, probably around £10m combined for Ryan, Propper and Jahanbakhsh.

Reported that nothing was paid upfront for Propper (£2m possible depending on clauses over the next two years) - Ryan went for a reported £1m - and - Jahanbakhsh was reported at £5m

So - £6million in fees with the potential to rise to £8million.

I think you are both way off the mark here.

It has been fairly reliably (in my view) reported that both Ryan and Propper moved for no initial upfront fee, and the upfront fee for Jahanbakhsh was £1million.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here