Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Players who have maximised/wasted their natural ability

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Seeing BDB score last night, he is a prime example of a man who's psychological make up has ensured he has got the maximum from his natural football ability. (See also Ashley Barnes).

Albion 'related' Players who had great natural ability and wasted it - Leon Knight/Wilfred Zaha (I'm watching Palace/Arsenal, how did he never make the level he should have ?)

2 of each :thumbsup:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Abdul Razak - remember him against Ipswich, thought he was going to be a top player. Waste of a career.

Gary Hart - Very few have ever given it as much as he did every single game...

Gary Hart, Pascal Gross.

Different eras but what outrageously brilliant investments of their time :thumbsup:

Who are the wastes (not of money, but of talent)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
There are loads of the "maximising" type currently in the EPL, mainly playing in midfield. Milner, Henderson and McTominay all spring to mind instantly.

Controversially I'm watching the Spurs game and would stick both Bale and Dele Ali in the other category.

OGH is the best Brighton example of maximisation.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
There are loads of the "maximising" type currently in the EPL, mainly playing in midfield. Milner, Henderson and McTominay all spring to mind instantly.

Controversially I'm watching the Spurs game and would stick both Bale and Dele Ali in the other category.

OGH is the best Brighton example of maximisation.

Bale did get 'there' though didn't he ?

Ali good shout though, on course to be a 'nearly' when he looked so good early on

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Marc Albrighton. Done brilliantly at Leicester. He could easily have spent his career in the championship.

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
Ravel Morrison . Now on his 12th club and not made more than 20 appearances at any of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Maximised their talent - most EPL/Bundesliga/SerieA/Liga players. From 100,000’s of kids and young adults across the globe who had talent and had the benefit of professional coaching, the cream rose to the top. A combination of that talent, physical attributes, relentless hard work and sacrifices made all along the way. Imho Milner, Henderson, Butt, O.Hargreaves, T.Butcher etc were/are very gifted in the big football picture, but obviously not in the creative/scoring sense of Gazza, Grealish, Maddison, Kane.

Chris Wood at Burnley’s surprised me. Ashley Williams certainly found his level.

Collymore, Mutu, N’Zogbia, Micah Richards, Ravel Morrison, Winston Bogarde, Pennant are obvious examples of those who blew it or wasted the second half of their careers. Some have since admitted their regret.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Paul Merson, such an incredible talent, his highlights reel is jaw dropping if you consider he was pissed for many matches, he only reached 50% of his potential. Such a waste.

Last edited:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Kevin Kegan always sticks out to me as a 'limited' player who gave 110% all the time, had the best attitude and work ethic to make the most of what he had.

Bendtner was always one that I thought never lived upto his own hype.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
+Geoff Thomas. Ordinary midfielder who worked hard to get where he got and captained Palace to 3rd in the league and played 9 times for England.
-Mickey Thomas. Talented player but chose not to rebuild his career here by not being arsed with things like turning up to train. Or play.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
+Geoff Thomas. Ordinary midfielder who worked hard to get where he got and captained Palace to 3rd in the league and played 9 times for England.
-Mickey Thomas. Talented player but chose not to rebuild his career here by not being arsed with things like turning up to train. Or play.

Mickey Thomas was a disgrace. Worse than Locadia.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Vinnie Jones (if you discount the blatant thuggery). Nah ignore that he was a Sunday Park footballer and I still don’t get why he lasted in the top division.

Robert Codner - so much talent, so little application most of the time.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Robert Codner - so much talent, so little application most of the time.

Yep, he's the Brighton player who immediately sprung to mind ... him and Alan Duffy. Jason Peake was another player who had more natural ability than his performances suggested. Fortunately, Brighton have had a lot of players who have been prepared to put a shift in and make the most of the talent they had.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here