Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] EURO 2020 Thread

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I think the frustration is that - if Maguire is struggling for fitness - there isn't a better Maguire replacement attributes-wise than Dunk.

Although I take your point on White's versatility, with a 26-man squad you shouldn't need utility players quite as much.

Too right.

With 26 players, versatility is not what you need. You need the very best players your nation can offer

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
https://twitter.com/thespursweb/status/1396571995790270475

Although the account I saw originally tweet this has removed it and I can't see anything on the Telegraph website, although a lot of it is paywalled

re June 21st

..... Nightclubs and music venues will reopen and larger events will be allowed to resume without limited crowds. “This will be subject to the results of a scientific events research programme to test the outcome of certain pilot events through the spring and summer, where we will trial the use of testing and other techniques to cut the risk of infection,” the Government said.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Too right.

With 26 players, versatility is not what you need. You need the very best players your nation can offer

On the other hand, with 26 players you can afford to have a couple of promising ones to get experience of the whole international tournament-thing.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
From the FA:

'The FA continues to work collaboratively with the UK Government and local authorities to achieve the maximum spectator capacity possible for the latter stages of the tournament, which will be submitted to UEFA in early June.'

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
On the other hand, with 26 players you can afford to have a couple of promising ones to get experience of the whole international tournament-thing.

Especially as three of them won't be on the bench. Should definitely take 'three for the future' to get tournament experience.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Especially as three of them won't be on the bench. Should definitely take 'three for the future' to get tournament experience.

You certain on this?

My understanding was all 15 squad players would be on the bench for every game.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Lol, now a provisional squad. What a nonce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be fair there’s still a few coming back from or had knocks at the weekend + a lot of players involved in the CL & EL finals. Makes sense

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Had my first proper look this evening and my spirit has been somewhat dampened knowing that if we win the group we’re paired with Group F (Portugal, Germany, France) which would be very tough. Certainly the tougher side of the draw with only Italy and Belgium of note in the other. We’d be better off coming 2nd! Granted you’ve gotta beat the best but a ‘2nd round’ v France/Germany/Portugal on a Monday night would be a bit shit....

Brief look at betting markets and saw KDB top scorer at 80/1....gotta be worth a few quid...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Had my first proper look this evening and my spirit has been somewhat dampened knowing that if we win the group we’re paired with Group F (Portugal, Germany, France) which would be very tough. Certainly the tougher side of the draw with only Italy and Belgium of note in the other. We’d be better off coming 2nd! Granted you’ve gotta beat the best but a ‘2nd round’ v France/Germany/Portugal on a Monday night would be a bit shit....

Brief look at betting markets and saw KDB top scorer at 80/1....gotta be worth a few quid...

Or it could be one of the best nights in modern English football history...

We got the penalties monkey off our backs in 2018. Now it’s the “knock out a big side” monkey. Imagine the boost it would give us to knock out Germany or Portugal.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Just got England v Croatia in the second FA ballot :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here