Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Is this absurd, or am I just getting old?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I understand some of your daughter's opinion and realise the world is changing - however, does she share their outrage at this ridiculous story?

I haven't asked her yet.

I doubt it though.
She is more likely to welcome some concession in changing attitudes than feeling any sense of outrage.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I haven't asked her yet.

I doubt it though.
She is more likely to welcome some concession in changing attitudes than feeling any sense of outrage.

Sensible young lady - oh shit, can't say that can I...

Sensible non age or gender individual. (assuming she's not a con-joined twin). OK, I give up, I'm bound to have upset someone!

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Utterly ridiculous that companies are feeling forced to apologise for much ado about nothing. This world is going totally crazy.

I don’t dispute that non binary exists but the number of people now falling into that bracket has sky rocketed in the last few years.

I remember my dad saying the same thing about "the gays".

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
"Ladies and gentlemen" is outdated language. I can see why some people find the term "lady" offensive. I can see why some people cannot identify with either of those terms too.

Had the conductor said, "men and women, boys and girls" then this person could not make the same complaint as he falls under one of those categories. Even hermaphrodites fall under one of those categories as they are still biologically male or female.

I suppose the argument against addressing people by their sexes is that some people do not identify with their biological sex and are now able to claim that it is offensive. In reality they are still either male or female, everyone knows that. But I suppose, if you don't need to say something that could cause offense, don't say it. If it makes people genuinely happier pretending that they are something different to their biological sex, then society should support it.

I’d recommend reading this article. Biological sex is not as simple as you might think.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/voices/stop-using-phony-science-to-justify-transphobia/

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The offspring of one of our very close friends is currently going through what will obviously be a long and tortuous transition. Born male, been acting like a female (hair, dress etc) since the age of 15/16....now on hormones as a precursor to the operation (but no timetable set for that). He/she/they, currently 19 with no job or qualifications (I get confused about what term I'm allowed to use) now has a partner - who is also a 'male' but going through the same process - so two people who were born male, currently acting as females, in a 'female' relationship.

It sounds like a joke - but having seen what our friends have been through trying to deal with it, it really isn't.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
The offspring of one of our very close friends is currently going through what will obviously be a long and tortuous transition. Born male, been acting like a female (hair, dress etc) since the age of 15/16....now on hormones as a precursor to the operation (but no timetable set for that). He/she/they, currently 19 with no job or qualifications (I get confused about what term I'm allowed to use) now has a partner - who is also a 'male' but going through the same process - so two people who were born male, currently acting as females, in a 'female' relationship.

It sounds like a joke - but having seen what our friends have been through trying to deal with it, it really isn't.

This is something I think people don't understand about making that choice to transition. It isn't as simple as "I'm a girl now, call me Christine". It's a long, tough process involving psychological profiling, hormone treatments (I heard one of the drugs used is freely given to men to treat baldness), a lot of legal wrangling, surgeries etc. Not to mention the stigma and piss-taking they have to contend with.

All of that to finally feel at peace in your own body.

People can say what they like about them but I personally think they're incredibly strong, brave individuals.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This is something I think people don't understand about making that choice to transition. It isn't as simple as "I'm a girl now, call me Christine". It's a long, tough process involving psychological profiling, hormone treatments (I heard one of the drugs used is freely given to men to treat baldness), a lot of legal wrangling, surgeries etc. Not to mention the stigma and piss-taking they have to contend with.

All of that to finally feel at peace in your own body.

People can say what they like about them but I personally think they're incredibly strong, brave individuals.

Agree.....but the impact on others can be horrific.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
If you don't like it don't get on the bloody train and stop boring the rest of us with this shit.

They are oh so desperate to be offended and discriminated against. Basically you are genetically either a man or a woman. If you choose to live your life in a different way good luck to you but why should the rest of us have to be involved or indeed care? If you want to live as a non binary how does being referred to as something else really adverse effect you particularly when its not actually directed personally to you?

This sort of crap detracts from people who have real issues of discrimination or prejudice and trivializes real problems.

Absolutely- collective noun for shoe repairers

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
So much of the reaction to this story on this thread has an undercurrent of not really believing that non-binary is a real thing. “It’s woke liberal nonsense” “check between your legs”. My guess would be that a number of decades ago people probably thought the same about gay people “that they were choosing that lifestyle”. I think it’s generally accepted now that being gay is not a choice and all that happened in the past was gay people hid their true identities. I think the same is happening with non-binary, only now are people confident enough to be open about whereas in the past they hid their true identities.

I imagine you're right.

I wonder how many people who are freely slating the non-binery movement on this thread would also openly critisise their parent's generation for being against or dismissive of gay people.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
currently 19 with no job or qualifications (I get confused about what term I'm allowed to use)

Unemployed. Pretty sure it's still safe to say that.
Salary challenged, maybe?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The ridiculous thing about this is some simple
training fr the employers would have avoided this catastrophe, just referring to everyone in the train as everybody' would have promoted inclusivity and avoided any offence.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
We are reaping what we sow.[emoji2371]
Sooner or later the kids that got a prize for coming last are bound to come of age..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Already happened to me. Sometime in and mid 80s at a football tournament. The too two teams ended up in a final.... So did the bottom two. We lost the losers final and got a medal.

I barely survived this hideous ordeal.

I don't get offended by much.

Although it must be said that your avatar is in very poor taste given what is about to kick off. Don't change it though, it's is good for everyone to see that you have chosen your side and are cheering on your team.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
So much of the reaction to this story on this thread has an undercurrent of not really believing that non-binary is a real thing. “It’s woke liberal nonsense” “check between your legs”. My guess would be that a number of decades ago people probably thought the same about gay people “that they were choosing that lifestyle”. I think it’s generally accepted now that being gay is not a choice and all that happened in the past was gay people hid their true identities. I think the same is happening with non-binary, only now are people confident enough to be open about whereas in the past they hid their true identities.
This.

It really doesn't take much effort to read up on the subject and start to understand how some people among us as feeling.

Once done, the next step is to see what changes can be made in our society to make it more inclusive for people.

Simple really

As usual is is the extremist militant brigade on either side who want to make is difficult and unpleasant.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Can’t get outraged about it, but it does smack of the complainant being an attention-seeking prat.

Could say a prick or not as the case might be at any given moment

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Already happened to me. Sometime in and mid 80s at a football tournament. The too two teams ended up in a final.... So did the bottom two. We lost the losers final and got a medal.

I barely survived this hideous ordeal.

I don't get offended by much.

Although it must be said that your avatar is in very poor taste given what is about to kick off. Don't change it though, it's is good for everyone to see that you have chosen your side and are cheering on your team.

I’m sorry the Israeli flag offends you.
It is useful for highlighting the anti semites though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I agree with those that don't read The Sun. Now there aren't any bare titted beauties to ogle they've ruined it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here