Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Giroud

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That hypothetical £26m we'd never see again. That would be absolutely terrible business for a player of his age.

If we are to spend tens of millions on a striker, then we will surely do so with the expectation that we can make some money back if he fails, or profit if he doesn't.

£26m on Giroud would be absolute lunacy. £10m could be acceptable, but even that would be an expensive gamble.

The thing is, either the club are interested or not. My guess is they are. Therefore he will either come to us or not. My guess is not.

I enjoy all this speculation. What I hate is the endless criticism of our club by a tiny number of very noisy posters. Be disappointed. Be frustrated. But why insinuate we are run by a bunch of failures and morons?

:shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just coming tot the field now to save Chelsea's cup final before heading down to Sussex.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Welbeck is different. It was a risk free one year contract. We can speculate how much we have paid him, but I think we can all be confident it would be a tiny fraction of £26m.
Well of course it is! It's only for one season and his very bad availability record would no doubt have been factored in. Giroud is higher quality and has a good health record. And Welbeck is not the Murray replacement or the striker who could take is into, or at least near to, the top ten - which in itself is worth quite a few million more in the kitty. Giroud could be.
This could go on all night, pointlessly - I think my idea is much more realistic than your idea we could get much money back on Jahanbakhsh - and will continue to think that regardless of what you say. Ultimately, buying a £40M striker would probably result in a higher net expenditure (i.e. money the club will never see again) than the deal for Giroud.
You will doubtless continue to disagree, and may or may not bother to post a reply to pointlessly tell me that!

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
As I've said, Wood is a good PL striker. Barnes is singing his last verse. No doubt.

They owe Burnley as much as Burnley owe them however, and its also not like they are the only ones contributing to Burnleys long stay in the PL.

Good point, Swansman. Even when either one is injured Burnley always seem to do what they have to do to keep their heads above water. Barnes might be at the far end of his career now but he can still do a job even if it's not with us.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Signing for AC Milan. Another missed opportunity while we mess around

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The thing is, either the club are interested or not. My guess is they are. Therefore he will either come to us or not. My guess is not.

I enjoy all this speculation. What I hate is the endless criticism of our club by a tiny number of very noisy posters. Be disappointed. Be frustrated. But why insinuate we are run by a bunch of failures and morons?

:shrug:

Gonna be a LLOOOONNNGGG Close Season, get used to it :smile:

Looking forward to the outrage as Brentford and Watford hoover up players whilst we just sell them! Norwich look like they are going to sell before they buy from the comments from them on BBC Sport though

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Some people may need to retune their sarcasm detectors [emoji854]

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I’m sick and tired of losing out on players to the likes of Barcelona & AC Milan. We could have nicked Cavani off Utd too but our recruitment team was asleep! Perhaps Ashworth has reached his ceiling?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Normally it would have been no problems but in this Narnia-based thread... not easy.

Something I have always wanted to ask you. Is Narnia in Sweden?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Listening to Harty interview Dick, either the club are deffo after Giroud, or Dick is no longer near the tent, let alone inside it. His evident eyebrow raise at not being invited to the Citeh game as a guest suggests he has a fair idea where the tent is, but is not yet confident he would find it if he were to stride boldly forth. Still. And if we singe Oliver, it will be pleasing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I’m sick and tired of losing out on players to the likes of Barcelona & AC Milan. We could have nicked Cavani off Utd too but our recruitment team was asleep! Perhaps Ashworth has reached his ceiling?

Not asleep, on holiday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here