Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Neal Maupay's post-match red card

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
IMHO Trossard has been dreadful of late too

SAC

May 21, 2014
I dare say only 2, maybe 3 players will hit 20+ league goals this season. The '20 goal a season' player is surely a bygone phrase of a 42 game season, not a 38 game one.

I would have thought 10 goals is the benchmark requirement for a player in a team such as ours. Anything above that a bonus, anything below and the questions should be asked.

Bamford supposedly cost £7m and is supposedly on £35k pw, has 15 goals.

I'd agree with this but only count from open play. Bamford was shithouse, Bielsa has worked wonders to get him into a decent goalscorer.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I’m sure growing up it was more frequent.
Didn’t Michael Robinson score near that or surpass it for us?

Andy Ritchie got about 14, which is what I would expect given the chances we create.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE Robinson, no idea, although I suspect that if he did, you wouldn't be equivocating about it
RE Ritchie 14<20
So, in short, you're making my point for me.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I dare say only 2, maybe 3 players will hit 20+ league goals this season. The '20 goal a season' player is surely a bygone phrase of a 42 game season, not a 38 game one.

I would have thought 10 goals is the benchmark requirement for a player in a team such as ours. Anything above that a bonus, anything below and the questions should be asked.

Bamford supposedly cost £7m and is supposedly on £35k pw, has 15 goals.

Kane and Salah.

There’s a list of top scorers, and in the other 14 (ie not top 6) 8-10 goals is average.
What we need is similar to West Ham, where three players are on 9.
Fans are expecting Maupay to do the impossible whilst letting off all the other players. Trossard, Gross, Bissouma should all be chipping in. Dunk is helping a bit, but Welbeck is the next best with 5.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
That was his 2nd goal of the season. Until his goal against Fulham last month he'd gone 28 games without a goal.

(also probably no different to MacAlister's goal / first touch strike to earn the point v Palace (A) - in sense it was a one off. He's not scored since. )

He's clearly an impact player, my comment was more related to the style and manner in which it was taken, a little more direct when it mattered.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Both are indeed true. The difference is that we pretty much have a daily Maupay thread while you'll have to look long and hard to find a thread where 50+ people are raising their pitchforks against eg the "attacking midfielders" Trossard / Ali Mac or to some extent Lallana / Gross. Every week three or four players either miss "sitters" or otherwise not being skilled/intelligent enough to even get into the right positions to score. Yet all pitch forks are always pointing towards one single human being. Its a pathetic blame game and lazy scapegoating.

Lallana can't shoot for toffee
Trossards target control knob snapped off at the woodwork
Gross has been scared off shooting
Bissouma has been told not to shooot

Theres a theme here, and I think it comes from above.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Lallana can't shoot for toffee
Trossards target control knob snapped off at the woodwork
Gross has been scared off shooting
Bissouma has been told not to shooot

Theres a theme here, and I think it comes from above.

You think a lot of things, like wishing a player in the team you "support" to get a season ending injury in February (telling a lot about you as a human) or "we're heading down without significant change in the squad".

Maupay and the other boys might be poor finishers but if their quality in that departement were anywhere close to your quality of thinking, Derby wouldnt have kept their lowest number of points record.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
IMHO Trossard has been dreadful of late too

I think dreadful is harsh but I know where you’re coming from. He certainly doesn’t seem to change games anymore and doesn’t really look a threat.

Our biggest weakness IMO is the lack of a real match winner and/or impact player. Lallana maybe when fit. I thought Connolly might fit the bill but his progression has stalled. We desperately need to find a couple of attacking players with real pace who carry a threat as Izzy will leave and there’s no one else left in that mould. Pereira at WBA or Lookman would both be an improvement.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
He's clearly an impact player, my comment was more related to the style and manner in which it was taken, a little more direct when it mattered.

Well not that clearly . As his impact has been pretty limited / absent this season - fewer goals/assists than Welbeck, Trossard, Gross, Maupay, Dunk, and Solly.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Well not that clearly . As his impact has been pretty limited / absent this season - fewer goals/assists than Welbeck, Trossard, Gross, Maupay, Dunk, and Solly.

well he came of the bench and scored a goal which ruined our afternoon so statistics are pretty pointless in that context.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

I think dreadful is harsh but I know where you’re coming from. He certainly doesn’t seem to change games anymore and doesn’t really look a threat.

Our biggest weakness IMO is the lack of a real match winner and/or impact player. Lallana maybe when fit. I thought Connolly might fit the bill but his progression has stalled. We desperately need to find a couple of attacking players with real pace who carry a threat as Izzy will leave and there’s no one else left in that mould. Pereira at WBA or Lookman would both be an improvement.

Trossard is a one in five player. One great game and then four where he is just ok or worse. The only time he had a really good run of form was after the restart last season. He's missed quite a few good chances but also had a lot of bad luck hitting the woodwork (yes, being just a decimeter from scoring is bad luck) and he definitely got great skill on the ball but he lacks that split vision that most of his PL equivalents got. Whenever there is a quick counter, it happens too often that the ball gets stuck with Trossard trying to twist and turn while the opponents get back into position, making it very difficult for anyone to score. Needs to improve that part of his game.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'd agree with this but only count from open play. Bamford was shithouse, Bielsa has worked wonders to get him into a decent goalscorer.

Reminds me a little of when William Orbit produced Madonna's Ray of Light and was credited with revitalising and reinventing Madonna's career. When interviewed Orbit exclaimed "that is ridiculous, Madonna has reinvented and revitalised my career!".

Bamford was never shithouse. But, like any player put in a team where everything clicks they can realise their potential. Bielsa deserves credit, but so does Bamford, coaches can only do so much, he's had to step up to the plate and done so. People forget his first spell at M'Boro he scored 17 goals. Before Bielsa turned up he got 9 goals in 22 games which isn't bad either.

View of him is it's Biesla's magic, but there has always been a decent player in there.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Reminds me a little of when William Orbit produced Madonna's Ray of Light and was credited with revitalising and reinventing Madonna's career. When interviewed Orbit exclaimed "that is ridiculous, Madonna has reinvented and revitalised my career!".

Bamford was never shithouse. But, like any player put in a team where everything clicks they can realise their potential. Bielsa deserves credit, but so does Bamford, coaches can only do so much, he's had to step up to the plate and done so. People forget his first spell at M'Boro he scored 17 goals. Before Bielsa turned up he got 9 goals in 22 games which isn't bad either.

View of him is it's Biesla's magic, but there has always been a decent player in there.

Possibly it was in there all along and some strikers do mature with age but I remember seeing him and being very unimpressed. His pre Dirty Leeds Premier League Wiki stats for seasons 15/16 and 16/17 were played 31 scored 1.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Trossard is a one in five player. One great game and then four where he is just ok or worse. The only time he had a really good run of form was after the restart last season. He's missed quite a few good chances but also had a lot of bad luck hitting the woodwork (yes, being just a decimeter from scoring is bad luck) and he definitely got great skill on the ball but he lacks that split vision that most of his PL equivalents got. Whenever there is a quick counter, it happens too often that the ball gets stuck with Trossard trying to twist and turn while the opponents get back into position, making it very difficult for anyone to score. Needs to improve that part of his game.

He needs to be more direct and instinctive . . .as do many of our forward players, and, as I was alluding to elsewhere before being trolled.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
well he came of the bench and scored a goal which ruined our afternoon so statistics are pretty pointless in that context.

He did and thanks for reminding us. Im just trying to provide some context and defend our players against over the top criticism and where appropriate.
you said that one of our players would have taken a touch or gone for another pass, ... compared to Traore.
Did you see Welbeck's goal last week ?

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
He's missed quite a few good chances but also had a lot of bad luck hitting the woodwork (yes, being just a decimeter from scoring is bad luck) and he definitely got great skill on the ball but he lacks that split vision that most of his PL equivalents got.
I did my FA coaching course at Chelsea's training ground at Cobham and the tutor had been the coach of the U18 team that had won the FA Youth Cup the previous year. The course is supposed to be all about setting up drills and small sided games to let the players learn for themselves whilst encouraging them. However, the tutor couldn't stop himself and spent quite a lot of the course yelling a the group of PE students and knackered Dads who were taking the course - he absolutely couldn't accept that we weren't capable of the same levels of skill, commitment and fitness as his usual players.

I was acting as 'coach' for a drill that was meant to encourage long range shooting (if GPott gets in touch I can give him the details) and one of the players hit an absolute screamer from 25 yds that hit the underside of the bar but bounced back into play. Forget decimetres, if it had been a couple of centimetres lower it would have been a fabulous goal. "Great shot! Bad luck," I shouted; "Not bad luck, poor technique", said the tutor. And he was 100% serious.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Possibly it was in there all along and some strikers do mature with age but I remember seeing him and being very unimpressed. His pre Dirty Leeds Premier League Wiki stats for seasons 15/16 and 16/17 were played 31 scored 1.

To be fair to him, those 31 matches total only 667 minutes, i.e. roughly 20 minutes per match, and for 516 of those minutes he was playing for teams which finished 19th in the league in each season. (and most of the rest he was playing for **spit** Palace)

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I agree with you.. although I wouldn't use the term "bad" - he has been guilty of missing chances that he himself would have expected to score and I think on that front specifically, he has lost a lot of confidence. The issue is that this sentiment gets taken too easily and often to "he's terrible, get rid" as though he has no value to the team at his current level or can't improve. That's not what you're saying, rather that it is ok to acknowledge his struggles and by doing so does not negate that he has value/potential that we could benefit from in the future.

Yup, absolutely not saying we need to get rid or anything like that. I actually firmly believe he can be a really strong asset for the team. Just not leading the line. He needs to play alongside a lead striker that he can feed (and feed off). Maupay making 8-12 per season alongside someone else scoring 15 (and, FWIW, I honestly believe a striker playing with confidence in Maupay's place this season would have netted 15 easily by now, given the number of easy finishes Maupay has scuffed) and we'd be sitting pretty in a solid mid-table position. Throw in some more goals from a more confident midfield and we have ourselves a top-10 finish.

Last edited:

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Both are indeed true. The difference is that we pretty much have a daily Maupay thread while you'll have to look long and hard to find a thread where 50+ people are raising their pitchforks against eg the "attacking midfielders" Trossard / Ali Mac or to some extent Lallana / Gross. Every week three or four players either miss "sitters" or otherwise not being skilled/intelligent enough to even get into the right positions to score. Yet all pitch forks are always pointing towards one single human being. Its a pathetic blame game and lazy scapegoating.

I've seen plenty of posts singling out others as well. Connolly and Trossard most frequently, but also Lallana (although I think he tends to get let off the hook because he's never been an accurate goal scorer at any club, so we all kinda expect it from him). Bissouma's attempts at worldies that go completely wrong get laughed at (but Biss gets let off because of how key he is in other areas).

Yes, the others miss a lot as well. It's a team wide problem. Not sure anyone has missed as many absolute sitters as Maupay has of late, and Maupay is meant to be our #1 goal threat.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

They were loan spells with 4 different clubs. Can't have been easy for a 22 year old being chucked from club to club. Palace, Norwich, Burnley and M'Boro in the PL are hardly places I would judge a young striker on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here