Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] May 2021 local elections and Hartlepool by-election

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Always vote never miss the opertunity, this time four separate ballot papers one was one vote first past the post the next two you could vote for several candidates and the fourth was the transferable vote system, our electrol system is a bit of a mess

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
We had three votes where I was:
* PCC
* West Sussex Council
* Referendum on the local plan

Which I think is the most number of things I've had the chance to vote on at once. The polling station was moderately busy at lunchtime.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Voted today in an attempt to kick the Tories out of Burgess Hill given the monumental shambles they have made of the town centre redevelopment including opposing the Town Councils attempts to replace the arts venue given away to developers and subsequently demolished.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I see your point but by participating in the process, even if it is only to spoil my ballot paper, I'm implicitly supporting that the process is a valid one.

For those that either are not interested fair enough or to those i can't be bothered to make the effort,then ask for a postal vote it's free. I am not asking you to vote for anyone party or anyone more like respect those who paid the ultimate price so you can vote.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
We had three votes where I was:
* PCC
* West Sussex Council
* Referendum on the local plan

Which I think is the most number of things I've had the chance to vote on at once. The polling station was moderately busy at lunchtime.

Same!!

Where abouts are you?!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Just binned my postal vote. Never got round to doing and simply haven’t time to tonight. Plus I’m completely down on life and have no faith in humanity never mind politicians and their pledges to ‘make a difference’. If I can have one last decent holiday and a few weeks care free of stress before I go then that would honestly do me.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
PCC Election. Waste of time and money. I still vote though. This time I write in large letters across the ballot paper 'Jackie Weaver'.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I had no idea who to vote for today, up to the point I wasn’t going to for the first time ever. Then a Labour local council candidate knocked on my door and asked me if I’d voted.
I explained that, with Labours treatment of Corbyn and his supporters, and being left of centre ( of the Labour Party) I didn’t feel I could honestly lend my vote to anyone, I wasn’t going to bother. She said she knew how I felt, she felt the same, but it would be her I was voting for, the Torys had targeted my constituency as they didn’t like her stirring up trouble for them, and they wanted her out.
This election I have, for the first time ever, had a Tory knock on my door, and about 10 Tory pamphlets through the letterbox, so anecdotally, I think she may have been telling the truth.
I did end up going and voting for her, I hope she gets in.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Just binned my postal vote. Never got round to doing and simply haven’t time to tonight. Plus I’m completely down on life and have no faith in humanity never mind politicians and their pledges to ‘make a difference’. If I can have one last decent holiday and a few weeks care free of stress before I go then that would honestly do me.

Is it anything in particular that’s getting you down or life in general? It’s easy to let negative thoughts take over but please try and find something to look forward to.
Is there anyone you can talk to?

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I had no idea who to vote for today, up to the point I wasn’t going to for the first time ever. Then a Labour local council candidate knocked on my door and asked me if I’d voted.
I explained that, with Labours treatment of Corbyn and his supporters, and being left of centre ( of the Labour Party) I didn’t feel I could honestly lend my vote to anyone, I wasn’t going to bother. She said she knew how I felt, she felt the same, but it would be her I was voting for, the Torys had targeted my constituency as they didn’t like her stirring up trouble for them, and they wanted her out.
This election I have, for the first time ever, had a Tory knock on my door, and about 10 Tory pamphlets through the letterbox, so anecdotally, I think she may have been telling the truth.

Let us know. Please.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Only got Police Commissioner in our ward today, so I'll have to trek all the way down there in order to write 'This is ridiculous waste of money' over my ballot form and then trek all the way back :rolleyes:

I may moan, but I appreciate what people have done to give me the right to do that :wink:

I wrote: 'This is an affront to the demos' on mine.
I'll be interested in seeing how turnout is recorded for the PCC

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

I've not been far off your thinking at several points this last few weeks/months . . . . The strange thing is, I went to vote and bumped into neighbours and (not close) friends, both ways, little things perked me up. I doubt my situation in recent years is anything like yours, but this year particularly has been hardest so far, I've struggled. An improvement in the weather would be something!

FWLIW I think a holiday is a quick fix with a comedown, like a drug. Life and lifestyle is far more important, Hopefully you find something positive soon.

I did vote, and bizarrely 3 times, ticking 4 boxes, including 3 parties. Proud to say no blue anywhere.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Labour deserve everything they're about to get. Between 10 - 17% behind the Tories in the polls. They betrayed the British public over Brexit and have abandoned their traditional working class voters with their woke, anti British policies. Starmer is as useless as his predecessor. We need an opposition Party but Labour are not up to the job. They are unelectable. Hartlepool will go blue & the Tories will win more council seats. Locally we have council elections in Patcham & Hollingbury. The current council is not fit & proper - I hope residents here will make the right choices.

You talk some sh..it at times 😂😂

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
With the by election in Hartlepool, I've just been explaining the story behind their nickname the monkey hangers to one of my daughters who was asking about what was going on.

Did it actually happen?
Was it really a monkey?
Was it a "powder monkey"

Who knows?

Great story for the people of Hartlepool - makes me smile and remember days of our battles in the lower leagues.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Voted for the chap down the road who I bump into nearly every day when out for a stroll. Great bloke, great ideas. That's what local elections are about. Never spoilt a ballot before, but wrote something like 'waste of time, pointless job' on the PCC paper.

Conversely, father-in-law only went specifically to vote for PCC. But then he's a mason, so they're probably mates, and all looking after each other.....

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011

This is exactly how I feel, there are good people in the party, but I feel far too many these days, just see politics as a game of which faction wins. I don’t care if it’s Corbyn or whoever, what I want, and this is from the depth of my heart, is for people’s lives to improve. At university in Huddersfield I volunteered in food banks and I saw the desperate situation many are in. Starmer’s Labour won’t improve that, they won’t change anything, it’s sad, there’s just no one for these people.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here