Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Controversial Sanwiches

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You don't know what you are missing out on. Best lunch possible if out in the countryside working for the day - one sandwich keeps you going till tea-time (that's tea, as in dinner - I've become northern since moving up here).

Washington Poe would be ashamed of you ??? :wink:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
In days of yore, it was very common to eat bread and dripping.
Lets think about this for a moment, dripping, pure fat, for you kids that is the same as spreading lard on your sandwich only thicker and more greasy.
I can't imagine what that must have felt like in the mouth and after.
As a kid my old nan used to talk often about this.

It was very nice, but you missed the meat gel in the middle that you got from under the dripping, the best bit.

Bloody kids today :rolleyes:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Lets think about this for a moment, dripping, pure fat, for you kids that is the same as spreading lard on your sandwich only thicker and more greasy.

When I was uni we had a George Foreman grill and would save the fat that dripped into the tray. The "Bacon Butter" was a particular favourite, served on bread or toast. Possibly best consumed post-bong mix.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Tat & Lyle GOlden Syrup sandwiches I used to like, has to have butter though.

in my early 20's I would often make a meal from a sandwich

A triple decker, 5 fish fingers in each layer, a fried egg on each layer and sometime a bit of cheddar as well, oh, and salad cream.

My dad was a fan of cheese and jam, particularly Apricot jam and Brie when in France.

The model bakery in Steyning used to do us Liver sausage and salad cream, probably classified as dog food now!

garlic sausage and coleslaw was another good one at school.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I've had reheated fish pie in a sandwich before now. That was a revelation.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Anyone tried a lampredotto sarnie in Florence? Essentially a large roll, stuffed with tripe (specifically from the cow's fourth stomach) and smeared with salsa verde.

Controversial to some, I'd imagine, but utterly delicious if you ask me :moo:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Brie and Strawberry jam in soft white bread, it just works so well.

Was just going to add the same, with a tweak. Thinly sliced strawberries, black pepper and brie on a good multi-seeded bread!

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Banana sandwiches are lovely!

They are both completely wrong! My friend eats pot noodle sandwiches, I tried it and couldn't understand why they didn't just leave it in the pot! Not revolting but just unnecessary!

That does sound disgusting but if you mean sterilised cream, the one I remember was made by Carnation, I would never put it in a sandwich but eating it straight out of the tin, is a yes!

Cheese and onion crisp sandwich, it doesn't matter if the bread is white or brown but it can't contain grains and it has to be butter not a spread! I don't consider that weird though. :shrug:

Read it again ,I didn't mention cheese and onion crisps, it was grated red Leicester with sliced pickled onions.
:D

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I was FORCED to try a banana sandwich today after being told how nice they are :sick:

What’s the weirdest thing you’ve put between two slices of bread? :wink:

https://www.etymonline.com/word/sandwich#etymonline_v_22703

ham sandwich d7.jpg

Attachments

• a-england-sussex-old-antique-postcard-english-collecting (1).jpg
    a-england-sussex-old-antique-postcard-english-collecting (1).jpg
    376.1 KB · Views: 82

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder

Toast and dripping was better. Bloody lovely.

God, I feel old!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Having lived in Wigan briefly
Meat and Potato pies in a balm are a staple food source.
Sandwiches are my go to comfort food, I have slapped many a varied item in between two slabs of bread, such as..
Chinese
Pizza
Pork Pie
Any type of Pie to be honest
Noodles
Crisps
Chips
Curry
Fried Rice
Spanish Omelette
Yorkshire Pudding
Roast Potatoes & Parsnips
All with butter and mayo

When I was younger and fitting flooring I could burn off anything, however now I am office bound most of the time, it is all catching up with me.

I love a good sandwich

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Tomato sauce sandwich

Used to eat them as a kid, repulsed by the thought now.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Peanut butter and Jello or jam as we call it is hardly controversial particularly in the states. You can buy pre mixed jars of it.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Its almost like a poor substitute for brawn (boiled pigs head) which my dear old nan used to make. I've developed a taste for it though. A bit like posh corned beef.

Tesco - the (unmanned) deli counter. They have it in those sealed packets, cheap as chalk. And yes, the cheese/Bovril/PO combo is a JOY.

I tried my Jack Russells new dinner the other night and it tasted exactly like a good corned beef. I wouldn’t try her fish ones but the beef one was lovely.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Haven’t had one for years and years but used to really like raw onion in soft white bread. Nothing else, not even butter. The bread has to be the softest of soft with not even a hint of stiffness near the edge. One nod in then direction of going stale renders it grim.

I still enjoy a corned beef sandwich. Soft white bread, spread of English mustard, mug of tea. Bingo.
Always have a couple of tins of corned beef in the cupboard incase the fancy grips me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here