Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Welbeck

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He’s started 14 games, sub in 7, 5 goals, 2 assists. Other than MU, all his contributions led to points. I’m not saying we keep him and he’s leading the attack again, but I’d rather we had him to turn to than Maupay and Connolly if A.N. Other is coming in.

But if we're for a change of fortune up top, contractually Welz is the one who needs to go.

Last edited:

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Well his goal today has saved my weekend. I was just starting to panic and told the wife that "we're going to concede any minute" . She wisely left the room only to miss me punching the air and whooping like an idiot. Football eh - what do i know ?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Been doing very well all spring after what I still think was a poor run back in September-November.

Sign him up for another year, with the option to extend it for another - wouldnt give a flat two year contract to a 30 year old player with his injury history, so I'm thinking 1+1 would be a good solution.

More or less embarrassing than your BDB vs Pulisic comment last week? More or less embarrassing than after a great 2-0 win use your mancrush as a bat against what you percieve as a rival to your mancrush?

Welbeck did well again but he is playing with his teammates, not against them.

:shrug:
Spot on. Some people on here have very short memories. He was absolutely CRAP for months on end, offering far less than the woefully out of sorts Maupay in that time. He's been alright for two or three months though, although even then he missed that pen against West Brom.

I'd give him another year though, I do want Connolly out on loan though. He is nowhere near good enough at the moment.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
The turn was quality but most impressive? The simple look up to see where the keeper was then stroking it into the inside of the post away from the 'keeper. That is how to finish.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Spot on. Some people on here have very short memories. He was absolutely CRAP for months on end, offering far less than the woefully out of sorts Maupay in that time. He's been alright for two or three months though, although even then he missed that pen against West Brom.

I'd give him another year though, I do want Connolly out on loan though. He is nowhere near good enough at the moment.

Still a good player to have in and around the squad though.

I don’t really see much downside in keeping Welbs another year.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Ha ha! You and Swansman still won’t admit defeat on this!

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Been doing very well all spring after what I still think was a poor run back in September-November.

Sign him up for another year, with the option to extend it for another - wouldnt give a flat two year contract to a 30 year old player with his injury history, so I'm thinking 1+1 would be a good solution.

More or less embarrassing than your BDB vs Pulisic comment last week? More or less embarrassing than after a great 2-0 win use your mancrush as a bat against what you percieve as a rival to your mancrush?

Welbeck did well again but he is playing with his teammates, not against them.

:shrug:

Ha ha! You still won’t admit it. Welbeck is quality, Maupay isn’t.

Man crush? I do like Welbz a lot but your defence of Maupay for months in the face of mounting evidence to the contrary is quite the love affair.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington

Man crush? I do like Welbz a lot but your defence of Maupay for months in the face of mounting evidence to the contrary is quite the love affair.

Neither of them are ever going to be consistent goal scorers, despite Welbeck's flashes of brilliance like today, or Maupay's industry off the ball.

They both have good qualities, but neither of them hold the solution to our problems. Medium to long term we need more goals from midfield and/or a better goalscorer up front.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
My worry is that he’ll get a better offer from another PL club, club should make him a decent offer ASAP not wait til end of the season.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

There's no "mounting evidence", just opinions.

They are both good or at least decent PL strikers. I admit that. The whole "my favorite player is good and I've said it all along and now I want a cookie and by the way his competitor for a spot in the team is bad!" thing is not for me. I'm turning 32 in a couple of weeks and way past the "my daddy is stronger than yours" shite - I'm happy Welbeck is doing well.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Oh this isn't gonna go down well, esp after such a performance.

I don't think he should be back next year.
As the saying goes:-

Better to lose them a year early than a year too late - Bill Belichick.

Assuming the club will still be going with Maupay he'll need a striking partner who can play how Welbeck played today considerably more often through next season.

You're right ......

..... in that it won't go down too well. So to clarify, you want to replace our most talented and experienced striker so we keep hold of one of our strikers that that has struggled to score all season ? :facepalm:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You're right ......

..... in that it won't go down too well. So to clarify, you want to replace our most talented and experienced striker so we keep hold of one of our strikers that that has struggled to score all season ? :facepalm:

You weren't calling him that 165 hours ago.
Nobody was calling him our only natural finisher 165 hours ago.

Welbeck is out of contract.
Welbeck's contract isn't chicken feed.

Like it or not (and the not is perfectly understandable) all other strikers are contracted and have (a currently low) value.;

The club have had 34 games to say 'wow we got lucky here and need to get him to commit to next season' - it hasn't.
Us fans have had 34 games to say 'wow we got lucky here and need to get him to commit to next season' - we haven't.

He was great today, he wasn't great last week.

He's had plenty of games in the latter and less in the former.

'We' can't complain about the status quo then vote for more of the same.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here