Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] 'Self-driving' cars to be allowed on UK roads this year

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-56906145

"Self-driving" vehicles could be allowed on UK roads by the end of this year, the government has said.

The Department for Transport said automated lane-keeping systems (ALKS) would be the first type of hands-free driving legalised.

The technology controls the position and speed of a car in a single lane and it will be limited to 37mph (60km/h)

But insurers have warned the government's definition of ALKS as "self-driving" is misleading.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Perhaps we'll get self-regulating bicycles soon as well then. Automatically stop at red traffic lights and stop signs, and stop dead when attempting to ride on the pavement ..................

...retreats to safety for the rest of the afternoon.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-56906145

"Self-driving" vehicles could be allowed on UK roads by the end of this year, the government has said.

The Department for Transport said automated lane-keeping systems (ALKS) would be the first type of hands-free driving legalised.

The technology controls the position and speed of a car in a single lane and it will be limited to 37mph (60km/h)

But insurers have warned the government's definition of ALKS as "self-driving" is misleading.

My (completely run of the mill) car already does both these things (at whatever speed I set the cruise to) What is the big development here? :shrug:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This has got disaster written all over it:

1. Teething troubles (i.e. operating in ice, fog, heavy rain, electric storm) cause million of pounds in insurance claims.
2. You and I pay for that in higher premiums.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My (completely run of the mill) car already does both these things (at whatever speed I set the cruise to) What is the big development here? :shrug:

At no point, in the article, is there any reference to similarities with cruise control.
So my guess, from reading the article, is this isn't cruise control.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
on the surface it looks little more than legislation to permit trials, speed restriction would make it of limited practical use.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This has got disaster written all over it:

1. Teething troubles (i.e. operating in ice, fog, heavy rain, electric storm) cause million of pounds in insurance claims.
2. You and I pay for that in higher premiums.

Not to mention our "smart" motorways, where sometimes the hard shoulder is Lane 1, and sometimes it isn't.

Think I'll take my chances with the ol' manual drives for now.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Even cruise control now, in some vehicles, will slow or stop you if there's a car or object in front.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
At no point, in the article, is there any reference to similarities with cruise control.
So my guess, from reading the article, is this isn't cruise control.

Don't be obtuse.

'Controlling the speed of the car' is literally the point and function of cruise control. My car (and obviously millions of others) also has Lane Assist, which automatically keeps you in the centre of any (marked) lane, unless you purposely indicate or steer out of it, and will automatically brake if anything enters the road space in front of me. (The only difference I can obviously see from what I already do on the motorway, and what this development does, is that I'd legally be able to take both hands completely off the wheel, rather than resting one of them loosely on the wheel now.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Any teething problems were ironed out a decade ago. The technology is ready and has been for some time now.

It won't be a disaster, it will be the opposite. It will be widely adopted in new vehicles and so successful that we will likely see fully automated vehicles become common place within 10 years.

Umm, well...

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/money...-two-dead-texas-and-ignites-blaze/7276828002/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54175359

https://www.vox.com/recode/2020/2/26/21154502/tesla-autopilot-fatal-crashes

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Any teething problems were ironed out a decade ago. The technology is ready and has been for some time now.

Really.

So a vehicle with adaptive cruise control, still works if the front camera is dirty, or does it switch off and the driver have to take over.
How does the lane control work on a smart motorway when lane 1 is closed, or does the driver have to take control

Perhaps you should read the Thatcham reports on ALKS given they are the experts, and then list on here everything that has yet to be ironed out, you will probably be surprised at the length of the list you come up with.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
It won’t stop people dying in their cars when braking down on a smart motorway.
I’m sure there are more important technologies to implement in this country.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't be obtuse.

'Controlling the speed of the car' is literally the point and function of cruise control. My car (and obviously millions of others) also has Lane Assist, which automatically keeps you in the centre of any (marked) lane, unless you purposely indicate or steer out of it, and will automatically brake if anything enters the road space in front of me. (The only difference I can obviously see from what I already do on the motorway, and what this development does, is that I'd legally be able to take both hands completely off the wheel, rather than resting one of them loosely on the wheel now.

Does your cars system automatically put on hazard lights and reduce speed to a stop if you fail to respond?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
That be fun following a robot car for 30 miles along a 60 limit road with no overtaking possibilities, going to be really safe for the impatient drivers stuck behind

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I do find the thought of an empty driver seat (where this is heading) somewhat discombobulating.

I think I'm going to need a Johnny Cab:-

Hz-P6FY2_400x400.jpg

johanngull

Jul 8, 2015
Handy if you have had one too many at lunch and want a snooze going home, as long as it doesn't self drive like the wife of course.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here