Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Phrases you hate people saying

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
"Good, good, good" which is always said in that overenthusiastic yet utterly insincere tone.

It's often used as part of the obligatory initial greeting ritual by someone about to embark on trying to sell you something.
Example:
Salesmen: (over enthusiastically) "And how are you today sir?"
Me: (curmudgeonly) "Not too bad"
Salesman: (still over enthusiastically and completely oblivious to the dourness of my response) "Good, good, good"

As soon as they utter that line they immediately get my back up and severely compromise their chances of achieving whatever potential sale they then embark on trying to make.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
He, she or they passed.

No they died.

Passed suggests there’s something at the end. There isn’t you’re dead.

I agree with you and also dislike the term “lose someone”
This sounds like you have been careless and mislaid them. You can lose your keys, your wallet or your phone but the phrase really annoys me when I hear it in relation to death.

I know it brings comfort to some and many won’t agree with me but it’s a phrase I don’t like to hear.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I find the casual over familiar language of these monthly payment reminder texts from Barclaycard somewhat presumptuous and totally inappropriate... First they start with "Heads up" and finish off with "Nice one".

Why do they presume that I'll be remotely impressed by their desperate effort to convince me that they are actually quite hip and cool despite the fact that they work in banking. Why don't they just go the whole hog and address me as "dude".

Screenshot_2021-04-16-23-13-20.png

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
When people say "I hope this finds you well" in an email. If I'm reading it, then it means it did find me. If it didn't find me, then I wouldn't be reading it, in which case the entire expression is a waste of words.

And the fact that more often than not, emails containing this phrase tend to make my day significantly worse, thereby not finding me 'well'

Had this phrase every month since April 20 in an email asking me for a piece of MI. The phrase annoys me a tad more every month but I have been well so shouldn't grumble !!

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
I find the casual over familiar language of these monthly payment reminder texts from Barclaycard somewhat presumptuous and totally inappropriate... First they start with "Heads up" and finish off with "Nice one".

Why do they presume that I'll be remotely impressed by their desperate effort to convince me that they are actually quite hip and cool despite the fact that they work in banking. Why don't they just go the whole hog and address me as "dude".

View attachment 135920

Agree, very annoying, I'd change card provider. Way too faux friendly that one.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Dude is another one that seems to have been imported from the States like Reaching Out and Cool.

The rules are pretty clear; We all know the one about Reaching Out, Dude can only be applied when talking about Jeff Bridges in The Big Lebowski and Cool can only be applied to Steve McQueen who was the King of Cool

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
When you offer someone a drink or something to eat and they reply with “I wouldn’t say no”

Just say yes it’s not difficult

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
When you offer someone a drink or something to eat and they reply with “I wouldn’t say no”

Just say yes it’s not difficult

"Would you like a drink?"

"Yes, it's not difficult."

I don't know. That sounds a bit rude to me.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Have a nice day or have a nice weekend etc.

You are telling me to HAVE? It’s entirely my prerogative, how very dare you’ :)

You actually mean to say “I hope you have...”, now that’s better. Thank you. But don’t tell me to have! If I decide to have a thoroughly miserable day then I will thank you very much. ???:lolol:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Have a nice day or have a nice weekend etc.

You are telling me to HAVE? It’s entirely my prerogative, how very dare you’ :)

You actually mean to say “I hope you have...”, now that’s better. Thank you. But don’t tell me to have! If I decide to have a thoroughly miserable day then I will thank you very much. ???:lolol:

Don't have a cow man :D

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Don't have a cow man :D

:eek::moo:

I mean, standards are going right down hill with such nonsense. Am I the only man left alive still tipping his hat and saying “good day to you all” when parting company?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here