Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Phrases you hate people saying

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
The thing that I have a particular aversion to about that action is when they contort the hand so that the thumb represents the earpiece and the little finger represents the mouthpiece.

I always think that if they insist on doing a mime of themselves being on the phone they should do it properly and their hand should be in a simple gripping shape* which is how we actually use a phone, instead of this thumb and little finger nonsense.

* the gripping shape obviously represents the use of a landline whereas a slightly open palm will more accurately represent mobile phone use.
Not so sure about this one. That would mean that miming shooting someone would not involve using your fingers as the barrel of the gun which is clearly the correct way to do it.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
"it is what it is" - probably isn't though, is it?
"I'm not gonna lie" - good for you.
"To be fair" - do you even know what you're saying?
"Ben White there, had a loan spell at Leeds United" - because apparently not everyone knows this fact.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Increasingly overused phrases (particularly on TV) piss me off:

"I'm excited" - about what? Seeing a bike turned into a seat ffs! Get a life.

"I can't wait" - for just about anything. Well unfortunately for you, you're gonna have to, unless you've got a Time Machine.

... and as I've said before, people who say "regularly", when they mean "frequently".

Gary Stevens (ex Brighton/Tottenham) once said 'That excites me' when referring to something like a new managerial appointment when he was doing some punditry on the Meridian Match or alike
That has always stuck in my head as me and my mates used to always mimic players and we used to use that phrase about Mr Stevens.
A very odd phrase as it was a weird thing to be excited about and secondly he didn't actually look that excited

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
This is great timing as there is one phrase that is really getting on my nerves at the moment. I was going to put it on the bell cheese at work thread as it seems to come up a lot in a work environment:

"You got this!"

I know there's good meaning behind it but I keep hearing it, constantly, and it's just really getting on my tits!

Coalburner

May 22, 2017
"The most vulnerable in our society" - overused

"Loved ones"- Why the hell don't they say "family and friends"

Deteriation

Could/would/should OF

Febrary

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Contentious, I'll grant you, but I'm a child of the 1970's....

For many years when someone said "...and this is my partner" I assumed they were in business together.

'Boyfriend' and 'Girlfriend' clearly became an unfashionable thing to say whilst I wasn't looking. :glare:

And my current pet hate is when people put the word 'super' in front of words like 'excited'. It's 'very' or 'extremely' my friend.. please do not veer.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
“Lateral thinking” and “Thinking outside the box” .... are they used any more?

My deranged ex boss used to praise himself by saying he did exactly that. When he was, amongst many weird things, a rigid thinker, boy he hated change or innovation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here