Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Betfred compelled to hand over £1.7m winnings

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Pleased to see that this punter won his legal case. Gambling company can’t always have its cake and eat it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-56663830

BCBE8A72-9266-4248-B7F6-6C736C340DC8.png

4D51C995-ED3B-414F-B1E7-4A6C195C48CE.png

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Remember a glitch years ago when I played and a site gave me £80 odd every time I clicked a button to cash in my £80 odd bingo bonus. Didn’t go mad, took about £1100 and withdrew it slowly - they never twigged. It was because they updated the software whilst the bonus was in there so each time I completed the wagering, it paid out the cash. Complicated, but seen little things like this happen a lot. Best one is when they still have pre match odds on an event that’s finished and you be on the exact score and they settle it later in the day a winner. Sometimes realise, sometimes don’t at all. The key is to not take the piss to alert them and then to get the money out / on something else straight away.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Remember a glitch years ago when I played and a site gave me £80 odd every time I clicked a button to cash in my £80 odd bingo bonus. Didn’t go mad, took about £1100 and withdrew it slowly - they never twigged. It was because they updated the software whilst the bonus was in there so each time I completed the wagering, it paid out the cash. Complicated, but seen little things like this happen a lot. Best one is when they still have pre match odds on an event that’s finished and you be on the exact score and they settle it later in the day a winner. Sometimes realise, sometimes don’t at all. The key is to not take the piss to alert them and then to get the money out / on something else straight away.

Always nice to hear such stories :smile:

A bit like in seeking to avoid being gubbed, whilst drawing the £1,100, did you place a few inconsequential bets to give the impressions of a (losing) regular punter?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Nice one Mr Green, the recent sickly run of betting ads on tv leave a lot to be desired. They pretend to be councillors helping you to stop compulsive gambling whilst not really giving a flying f and want all your money.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Good news. I can't stand these f***ing betting companies, with their shitty adverts trying to hide behind their "safe and responsible gambling" bullshit.

EDIT: [MENTION=24827]Justice[/MENTION] beat me to it!

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
These software glitches sometimes happens against the punters. The bookies don't seem too keen to pay back in the same circumstances.
Well done to this person, but my advice is to do only fun bets or none at all, and don't get addicted.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I do about a tenner a week in accas, around £1.50 a time to lend a bit of interest. It comes in often enough to rake back a few losses and keep me in the black. Last month I got about £83 back on a £1.50 both teams to score acca. I treat BTTS like football bingo, crossing them off as the goals go in, its good fun. If it comes in great. If not, well I'm not going to lose my shit over it (unless its just ONE team that lets me down - and yes, I'm looking at YOU Plymouth).

I'll probably bung a tenner on the Masters this week, 5 x £1 e/w once I've done a bit of research. Again, its an amount I don't really give a toss about losing, but buys some extra interest for me. I cannot get my head round people who start betting large stakes and NEEDING it to come in. That kind of pressure would just bleed all the fun out of the bet for me, but then I guess thats why they call it an illness.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Good news. I can't stand these f***ing betting companies, with their shitty adverts trying to hide behind their "safe and responsible gambling" bullshit.

EDIT: [MENTION=24827]Justice[/MENTION] beat me to it!

This big time! And the crappy little accompanying slogans ' when the fun stops '. They give a flying f and hope you end up in the gutter

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Bookies and insurers. Scum of the earth.

Solicitors, Estate Agents and Recruitment Agents ( except one poster on here ) equally

And cyclists. Don't forget cyclists - worst of the lot.

Oh...and teachers; all that bloody holiday, don't know they're born, that lot.

And Traffic Wardens, private parking company employees, local government employees, miners, big tech company employees, utility company employees, train company employees, BT & Virgin employees, airline employees...

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
My account with Bet365/BHABet (yes, back in the day!) was suspended when suspicious activity was found in their bet-in-play system. Yes, I was watching the football via analogue and Burkino Faso did score against Mali against the run of play in an African Nations Cup match. Back then there was no bet-in-play countdown, it was instantaneous and was a race between the betting manager and the end-user. Allegedly.

But I had withdrawn my funds before my account was shut.

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
This big time! And the crappy little accompanying slogans ' when the fun stops '. They give a flying f and hope you end up in the gutter
'When the fun stops' is a reinforcement that the gambling is fun.

It is no more than an subliminal message.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
'When the fun stops' is a reinforcement that the gambling is fun.

It is no more than an subliminal message.

Agreed. Its a ridiculous notion that someone with a serious problem can just arbitrarily decide to "stop". Equally pointless are these apps that give people the facility to set limits and timeouts, as if problem gamblers are going to impose that on themselves.

Then there's that stupid ad doing the rounds on radio and TV where someone on their phone is chasing their losses, and is physically hauled to the ground by a comedy wrestler to prevent him from putting another bet on. Its treated like some big joke that we're all supposed to laugh at. I can't believe they can get away with doing desperately weak comedy, when its such a serious issue.

The reality is, its just betting companies covering their arses so they can be seen to be "doing something".

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I do about a tenner a week in accas, around £1.50 a time to lend a bit of interest. It comes in often enough to rake back a few losses and keep me in the black. Last month I got about £83 back on a £1.50 both teams to score acca. I treat BTTS like football bingo, crossing them off as the goals go in, its good fun. If it comes in great. If not, well I'm not going to lose my shit over it (unless its just ONE team that lets me down - and yes, I'm looking at YOU Plymouth).

I'll probably bung a tenner on the Masters this week, 5 x £1 e/w once I've done a bit of research. Again, its an amount I don't really give a toss about losing, but buys some extra interest for me. I cannot get my head round people who start betting large stakes and NEEDING it to come in. That kind of pressure would just bleed all the fun out of the bet for me, but then I guess thats why they call it an illness.

Very rarely a bettor in my life, 18 months back I gave Matched Betting a go. Yes it really does pay, but I soon got bored of the process, scrambling around for existing customer offers yielding £5 and £7.50 net profits.

So, I drifted into regular back and lay betting at larger stakes than you mentioned, for a while on horses, then football. Glorious successes were soon replaced by painful losses. I could’ve afforded to carry on, one of the psychological lures (ex-gambling addicts talk a lot about this) is to carry on “to recover your losses”. That never happens in the long term.

Football matches became stressful to monitor.

So, I had the will power to completely stop.

I agree with your synopsis. If it’s genuinely just a few quid a week, you never stray and are having a bit of fun, then why not?

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
Agreed. Its a ridiculous notion that someone with a serious problem can just arbitrarily decide to "stop". Equally pointless are these apps that give people the facility to set limits and timeouts, as if problem gamblers are going to impose that on themselves.

Then there's that stupid ad doing the rounds on radio and TV where someone on their phone is chasing their losses, and is physically hauled to the ground by a comedy wrestler to prevent him from putting another bet on. Its treated like some big joke that we're all supposed to laugh at. I can't believe they can get away with doing desperately weak comedy, when its such a serious issue.

The reality is, its just betting companies covering their arses so they can be seen to be "doing something".

Problem is it's accessible. You can now bet on your phone in the comfort of your own home or with your mates instead of venturing into a grubby bookmakers with the (possible concern) of you being seen leaving one. This is attractive for a new generation of gamblers, who some stupidly have thought that FootballIndex for example are a suitable investment platform for their money. Never trust a bookie, and never believe an after-timer.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Very rarely a bettor in my life, 18 months back I gave Matched Betting a go. Yes it really does pay, but I soon got bored of the process, scrambling around for existing customer offers yielding £5 and £7.50 net profits.

So, I drifted into regular back and lay betting at larger stakes than you mentioned, for a while on horses, then football. Glorious successes were soon replaced by painful losses. I could’ve afforded to carry on, one of the psychological lures (ex-gambling addicts talk a lot about this) is to carry on “to recover your losses”. That never happens in the long term.

Football matches became stressful to monitor.

So, I had the will power to completely stop.

I agree with your synopsis. If it’s genuinely just a few quid a week, you never stray and are having a bit of fun, then why not?

I'm tighter than a camels arse in a sandstorm, so the idea of (probably) losing a chunk of cash on a bet just repels me. I simply wouldn't enjoy watching whatever I'd placed a bet on, if the amount of cash I was up to lose would piss me off. It wouldn't feel like fun - it'd feel like pressure.

I used to go to Hove greyhounds every now and then. I'd have one pocket for the grog, and another pocket with £50 for the bets. Once that £50 was gone, it was gone. If I made a few quid (which occasionally happened, through luck more then judgement) then it was a bonus, if not then I'll still have had an enjoyable night.

I guess I'm just too stingy to be a problem gambler :lolol:

(well done for having the willpower to stop after some painful losses btw)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Problem is it's accessible. You can now bet on your phone in the comfort of your own home or with your mates instead of venturing into a grubby bookmakers with the (possible concern) of you being seen leaving one. This is attractive for a new generation of gamblers, who some stupidly have thought that FootballIndex for example are a suitable investment platform for their money. Never trust a bookie, and never believe an after-timer.

Indeed. And the incessant advertising surrounding sport, saturating it and football in particular, make the smartphone and the football very easy and accessible bedfellows. Its a dangerous combination if you're of a mind to "lump on".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here