Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ed Turns

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Depends if the guy they’re marking has less of a jump. [emoji2]

It’s not just height though it’s physicality, Lukaku for example bullies smaller players.

Dunk is probably nearly perfect, Webster arguably slightly more so as he has pace too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeh, sadly if you want to succeed in the PL as a centre back and you're not much over 6 foot, you need to be an unbelievable player.

I don't see that it makes a difference at all if you're playing in a 2 or a 3. You still need to win your duels. If the oppo manager thinks you're vulnerable in the air, they'll put a big lug on your side of the pitch and target you at the back post.

Time for these lads to grow and bulk out of course.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yeh, sadly if you want to succeed in the PL as a centre back and you're not much over 6 foot, you need to be an unbelievable player.

I don't see that it makes a difference at all if you're playing in a 2 or a 3. You still need to win your duels. If the oppo manager thinks you're vulnerable in the air, they'll put a big lug on your side of the pitch and target you at the back post.

Time for these lads to grow and bulk out of course.

Yes, they need to be able to deal with the physicallity, and a lot of that is about attitude. Make sure the forward is aware that you won't be bullied, and if he tries, you'll have him.

Tommy Smith was 5'10", and our own defensive terrorist Adam El Abd was only 5'11" (and it's interesting to note that White, who was apparantly only alright with Webster and Dunk's muscle protecting him, came up in a 50/50 against El Abd in his early days at Newport. El Abd came second).

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Yes, they need to be able to deal with the physicallity, and a lot of that is about attitude. Make sure the forward is aware that you won't be bullied, and if he tries, you'll have him.

Tommy Smith was 5'10", and our own defensive terrorist Adam El Abd was only 5'11" (and it's interesting to note that White, who was apparantly only alright with Webster and Dunk's muscle protecting him, came up in a 50/50 against El Abd in his early days at Newport. El Abd came second).

The game has changed at the top level.

6 foot is now the minimum for a PL centre back. Even then you'd need to be a top player to offset the aerial battles you'll lose.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Plus two other CBs out on loan, one in the Championship, one in the SPL, that haven't any minutes at all yet - I wonder where and how they will fit in to the plans?

The best get kept, the rest get sold……then the best get sold for a huge amount after a season or two and we introduce another off the Lancing production line.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
The game has changed at the top level.

6 foot is now the minimum for a PL centre back. Even then you'd need to be a top player to offset the aerial battles you'll lose.

Ake is under 6ft so it's not impossible. Azpilicueta has played in a back 3 too and he's even shorter.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Ake is under 6ft so it's not impossible. Azpilicueta has played in a back 3 too and he's even shorter.

Slightly off topic, but regardless of height every time I watch him he looks awful - I genuinely don’t get the hype. In the Euro’s he looked very poor.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He's consistently been one of the best PL defenders for about a decade :shrug:

All opinions. I don’t agree [emoji2]
Doesn’t play regularly when Stones is fit.
Chelsea off-loaded
Didn’t look particularly good at Bournemouth at times either (though to be fair Pep signed him, so must have something).

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
All opinions. I don’t agree [emoji2]
Doesn’t play regularly when Stones is fit.
Chelsea off-loaded
Didn’t look particularly good at Bournemouth at times either (though to be fair Pep signed him, so must have something).

Oh, now I understand, and there might be a major difference of opinion. Not so sure Ake is awful, but I wasn't referring to him, I was referring to Azpilicueta

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here