Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ed Turns

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Exceptional first-team debut from this young man this evening.

I know most people were expecting Antef Tsoungui to start tonight. Not available? No probs, we'll just slot another academy product into the starting line-up and get a performance as though he's playing senior football for years.

Incredible.

So good you could see it from Arizona, or are you visiting Grahampotterland?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Exceptional first-team debut from this young man this evening.

I know most people were expecting Antef Tsoungui to start tonight. Not available? No probs, we'll just slot another academy product into the starting line-up and get a performance as though he's playing senior football for years.

Incredible.

Did you manage to see live coverage of the entire game?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Sat behind a friend of his family tonight, they were all naturally delighted for him being named in the squad, imagine they’re over the moon now. He gave a very decent account of himself.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I find it highly impressive that 7 different players have made their professional debuts during the cup run so far (unless I’ve missed anything)

In typical Brighton fashion though, 3 of them are centre backs. :lolol: It’s bizarre how many top quality defenders we churn out, long may it continue though.

A very assured debut and my word he wants the ball. Stout defending, nice positioning and great ball retention. The lad did good.

Unfortunately, unless the Premier League gets overrun by dwarves in the next two years he's not a centre back unless he grows upwards and bulks up. A Toney or Lukaku would murder him. Credit to Potter for sticking him in tonight where it was only his skill and willing that mattered but get him into a holding midfield role and we'll have a star of the future (if he can beat Mwepu, Leonard and possibly Caciedo to the role).

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Ed Turns (Does he?) unreal tonight. With all eyes on Roberts, Turns put in a fantastic display. Very impressed.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
He was only in there to give Warren a breather on the commentary. Albion don't make life easy for him.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
Really pleased to read the reviews of his performance and he seems to be making rapid progress.

His dad was the fixtures Secretary at Hassocks kids teams when I managed one of them a few years back. Really lovely bloke and so pleased for him as to how well Ed is doing.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Played really well.

Strong on the ball. Good passes.
Positionally sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
A very assured debut and my word he wants the ball. Stout defending, nice positioning and great ball retention. The lad did good.

Unfortunately, unless the Premier League gets overrun by dwarves in the next two years he's not a centre back unless he grows upwards and bulks up. A Toney or Lukaku would murder him. Credit to Potter for sticking him in tonight where it was only his skill and willing that mattered but get him into a holding midfield role and we'll have a star of the future (if he can beat Mwepu, Leonard and possibly Caciedo to the role).

To be fair in terms of build he looked quite strong.

I came away more concerned about Roberts from that perspective. I still think he would be a better defensive midfielder

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
To be fair in terms of build he looked quite strong.

I came away more concerned about Roberts from that perspective. I still think he would be a better defensive midfielder

We were sitting in G block of the WSL quite near the front. Turns and Lamptey were playing right in front of us in the first half. I based my comments partly on there not being a lot of height difference between the two when they were talking.

The only height stat I can find for him is on Transfermarket https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ed-turns/profil/spieler/580809 which has him at 1.73 metres or 5ft 8 in old money. Admittedly he's only 18 and may yet grow a bit but that's too short for a centre back IMHO. Lamptey has shown you can be short and still tackle well and be very strong but he's typically up against wingers. Turns, as I said, will have to be stronger against the Toneys of this world if he wants to succeed in that postion.

He can't do much about his height to be fair and every thing he can work on he clearly has. Very good player but not in the Dunk / Duffy mode unless he grows at least a couple of inches.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I am basing my comments upon the excellent audio coverage provided by Johnny Cantor and Warren Aspinall (but I will be back in Blighty next month :thumbsup:)

Are you going to m/any games?
A speculative punt might suggest that you'll miss the first team, but attend u12 training sessions, and any u18 and u23 games you can :smile:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Not quite as crucial in a back three though

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Ed's 18, so is unlikely to have finished growing.

If Wikipedia is to be believed, Turns is currently less than an inch shorter than this guy, who managed to carve out a so-so career as a centreback:

Attachments

• canavarro.jpg
    canavarro.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 165

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Not quite as crucial in a back three though

Fair point. He could play a White role alternating between a third CB and CDM but not in the middle of a three. Him and Roberts were fine last night but stick both of them in a two against a Premier League first team and they'd get bullied.

I appreciate that's WHY he's in PL2 and only starting a League Cup game.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Not quite Ben White v Colchester in terms of his debut, but I think Ed has the potential to follow Ben's career path. I was very impressed with his performance last night.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here