Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] REALISTIC signings for next season?

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
Toney is the obvious signing for me but much like last year, it'll go down to whether Brentford manage to get over the line (much like Watkins) as to whether Toney is sold. He fits our brief (young, English) and scores all types of goals. He's clearly good enough to make the step up to a club of our stature but if Brentford manage to get over the line this year, no chance of signing any of their players. I think we'll look to sign a striker to relieve the goalscoring pressure on Neal regardless.

If we are going really left field, I'd personally go for the comparatively cheap Arthur Cabral who has scored 31 goals in 55 games for Basel. A Brazil U23 international who reminds me a bit of Tomer Hemed in his link up play but super flair, I think he'd be a great foil for Neal.

Cabral was linked with Dirty Leeds last summer.

Could be a good shout

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
We have been linked with young Everton left back Thierry Small who I think hasn't signed a new contract yet. The negative is all the big boys are after him. The plus side is we now have a few success stories of young players being given the chance here. Only 16 so a year or two away from the first team. Agree with others there are 5 or 6 players that really need to move / be moved on now this summer. Connolly needs a year in the championship and 20 goals under his belt.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
Mitrovic, Maupay and Andone would actually be a critical mass of shithousery. Besides, I don’t think Mitrovic’s goals per chances record is particularly good, is it?

I think he scored five goals in three games for Serbia this week, I’ll take that

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
I'm assuming you meat Wyke at Sunderland.

If so then I sincerely hope our club are looking for someone slightly better than a 28 year old who scored 9 goals in 51 games before this season.

That’s him

I appreciate he’s having a good season but if he’d had several previous good seasons he wouldn’t be at Sunderland and we couldn’t afford him

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Luckily you are not in charge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No shit Sherlock.

I realise that an opinion on here that we won't buy a big name striker is like taking your toddler toys away from you but that's what I reckon will happen seeing as we have six striker options at the moment and have taken to playing a false nine or revolving attacking three. But then I'm brave enough to put my head above the parapet.

Are you expert enough to spend Tony's money for him? If so, who can we expect? Or can we just expect another summer of extreme pant wetting from your two accounts without an actual sensible suggestion?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I feel we should have taken a gamble on Toney while still at Peterborough . Apparently he cost Brentford £5m with another 5m in add ons. Think of the money we have wasted on Ali J, Lucadia etc.

However, if Brentford fail to go up I am sure someone like Palace will buy him and offer him a better salary than we can.

Just need to look for someone similar in the EFL

I think Toney would have been a good ‘punt’, particularly when you think of some of the rubbish we have bought.

Must admit I always enjoy these threads as there seems to be so much knowledge around foreign players - NSC is quite impressive at times.....

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Daryl Dike Orlando City striker. Available for $20 million or Locardia part exchange.

Scores goals for fun in the Championship but his control and passing are League One at best. No way would Potter be interested in him as he demands so much more of his front men (see Maupay’s assist, hold-up play and work rate yesterday).

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
That’s him

I appreciate he’s having a good season but if he’d had several previous good seasons he wouldn’t be at Sunderland and we couldn’t afford him

If all we can afford is someone having a one-off good season then we're honestly better off signing nobody at all. He's not even the top scoer in L1!

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
I think Toney would have been a good ‘punt’, particularly when you think of some of the rubbish we have bought.

Must admit I always enjoy these threads as there seems to be so much knowledge around foreign players - NSC is quite impressive at times.....

Very easy to say in hindsight though.

I don't know how comfortable we would have been spending £10m on a L1 player.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Agree with all these outs bar one but hopefully Connolly gets a loan. I’d add Ryan & Pröpper to your list. We might also lose younger players like today’s Coventry scorers Gyökeres & Østigård who won’t want to stay if they don’t make the 1st team.

I think Burn stays and Clarke replaces White giving the back line more balance with 2 left footers but Ryan is a gone.

Biss is 100% off after the hints the club has been letting out all season, we’ll have enough money (£80m+) to invest half of it in a promising attacker (Edouard for £15m) and an experienced left back desperate for the EPL (Tagliafico for £25m).

Squad will look something like this. Really slimmed down as Potter normally likes.

Keepers:

Sanchez
Steele
**new signing**

Centre Backs:

Dunk
Webster
Veltman
Clarke
Burn

Wing Backs:
March
New signing **Tagliafico***
Lamptey
Karbo

Central Playmakers:
Lallana
Groß
Alzate

Central Defensive Midfielders:
Molumby
Caicedo
Moder

Attacking Midfield:
Mac Allister
Trossard

Forwards:
Welbeck
Maupay
Zeqiri
New Signing **Edouard**

I’d be happy with all of that apart from losing Ben White. Unless we get a crazy silly offer for him, I hope he’s here next season. I think considering it’s his debut season in the PL he’s been sensational and will only improve.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I’d be happy with all of that apart from losing Ben White. Unless we get a crazy silly offer for him, I hope he’s here next season. I think considering it’s his debut season in the PL he’s been sensational and will only improve.

I agree, I don’t want him to go but if Man Utd want him, they’ll get as they pay absolutely stupid money for English defenders. It’s almost ‘name your price’ territory; we’d clearly demand more than Palace got for the decidedly average Wan Bissaka.

The good news is that Webster or Veltman are both very good in the RCB position, we just need Clarke or Burn to step up at LCB before Roberts is ready in a few years time.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Very easy to say in hindsight though.

I don't know how comfortable we would have been spending £10m on a L1 player.

Yes, but did someone say £5m plus add-one?

I would have gone for that.

Physically, he is exactly what we need and would offer something different, not sure I’d pay the £25m - £30m Brentford will ask.

Easy when it’s not my money [emoji2]

When we make our next purchase I would hope we go after someone from the German/Italian or French leagues.....

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Sell Ali J, Connelly, Bissouma, Andone, Tau, Izquierdo, Propper, Walton, Gwargis and Alzate and buy Erling Braut Haaland.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Yes, but did someone say £5m plus add-one?

I would have gone for that.

Physically, he is exactly what we need and would offer something different, not sure I’d pay the £25m - £30m Brentford will ask.

Easy when it’s not my money [emoji2]

When we make our next purchase I would hope we go after someone from the German/Italian or French leagues.....

None of us know the breakdown of the deal but it was reported as £6.5 million plus considerable add-ons taking it to £10m.

That's a lot of money for a player in the 3rd tier and he may have found the step up from L1 to Prem too much.

I don't know how strong our interest was but at that price, I think it's reasonable we didn't go in for him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here