Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Winning v Leading Pet Hates

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Ok I know it may be pedantic, but one thing that really gets on my nerves is how commentators and journalists in particular, but people in general don't understand the difference between Leading and Winning.

Commentator in the West Brom v Chelsea game has just perfectly illustrated the point. He said Chelsea were winning, and now they are losing. No they weren't, they were leading, and now they are behind. Its basic English, the two words have different though obviously connected meanings, and whilst Chelsea may well have gone on to win, its only once the match is over can any team be said to have been winning or losing it .

Is it laziness or ignorance? Similarly the difference between can i have and can i get- lots of people seem to use get when they should be using have. Saying nan I get a coffee for example, to a Barista is not the same as can I have a coffee.

Anyway, Im sure we all have our pet hates which aren't really important, but just irritate us, what are yours?(Im sure people like me posting things like this is high on someone's list)

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
When you go back to work after a bereavement, and people say 'you seem better'
What do the hell they know :shootself

People who pull out on you on a roundabout, then wave at you to say sorry.
Whats all that about?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Ok I know it may be pedantic, but one thing that really gets on my nerves is how commentators and journalists in particular, but people in general don't understand the difference between Leading and Winning.

Commentator in the West Brom v Chelsea game has just perfectly illustrated the point. He said Chelsea were winning, and now they are losing. No they weren't, they were leading, and now they are behind. Its basic English, the two words have different though obviously connected meanings, and whilst Chelsea may well have gone on to win, its only once the match is over can any team be said to have been winning or losing it .

Is it laziness or ignorance? Similarly the difference between can i have and can i get- lots of people seem to use get when they should be using have. Saying nan I get a coffee for example, to a Barista is not the same as can I have a coffee.

Anyway, Im sure we all have our pet hates which aren't really important, but just irritate us, what are yours?(Im sure people like me posting things like this is high on someone's list)

My pet hate will be when a waiter will say to a table of ladies, “Hi guys”

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
So unrefined these days. I remember hearing that Brighton were 'trailing' 2-0 at Millwall in 1976 and asking Mum what it meant.

Actually 'trailing' sounds almost like a form of subjugated humiliation. They should use that for teams they don't like.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Once the match is over you can say a has won or lost. During the match you can say who is winning or losing.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Once the match is over you can say a has won or lost. During the match you can say who is winning or losing.

It depends on WHEN though.

For example, when you are asked 45 minutes into Day 1 of a 5 day Test Match "who's winning?". :rant:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It depends on WHEN though.

For example, when you are asked 45 minutes into Day 1 of a 5 day Test Match "who's winning?". :rant:

I think context is important. Trent Bridge 2015 comes to mind. Or Sabina Park 1998....

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I just hate it when some random neighbour's just inflicted an excruciating week's worth of noise through your wall and you finally meet the guys doing the work face-to-face and all you can do is grin through gritted teeth and say 'You winning?'. Because in the end they're just doing their sub-contracted job and the buy-to-let **** that hired them don't care either way cos they don't live there

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Nowt wrong with 'winning' - plenty wrong with 'can I get'.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
We've got to make sure we don't concede, especially early doors, but I think it's definitely game on if we score first.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I have probably got far too many pet hates, sort of stuff I really shouldn’t worry about, some of them are just things I find odd or things I wouldn’t do.
One I do think is odd is when tradesmen have the word ‘solutions’ on their vans, followed by whatever trade they are.

Hello is this Plastering Solutions, can I get a quote for some work on my house?
Plastering Solutions and people that say “can I get” deserve each other. :)

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Nowt wrong with 'winning' - plenty wrong with 'can I get'.

I don't get what gets people's goat with get. It's what the experts call a delexicalised verb. We use it in all manner of ways so to say it doesn't make sense in the phrase "can I get", makes no sense imo.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I think my pet peeve is other people's pet peeves. Now I get what Naughty by Nature were on about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here