Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Did Ian Wright get the number of England starts his data suggests was warranted?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
After a long day of tedious actal work, work, I was reading up on England strikers and was struck by how prolific Ian Wright was for his club, yet I barely remember him troubling the kit man at Wemberlee. So I pulled out some data for 91-97 when Wright was at his peak. I compared his data with other leading England strikers of the time. Crikey. My verdict is Wright was ludicrously overlooked. Admittedly we were very short of decent English strikers back then, making it hard to find people to compare him with, but that makes the data even more grotesque. Thoughts?

Managers' pets and the overlooked.PNG

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Not sure why Gazza is being classed as a forward.
However, I agree with you about Ian Wright. He never really got a good run in the England side - 33 appearances over 9 years is a poor reward for someone who was that good. Can only be that there were always a couple of forwards just that little bit better than him in each of those seasons. I just wish George Petchey had been a bit more forceful in his recommendation that we give him a contract.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Is Gascoigne a fair comparison? He was never a striker, he was a midfield playmaker.

Surely Ferdinand and Beardsley would be better comparisons in that era? Probably the same result I suspect?

Jaxie

Dec 2, 2018
Far East (Sussex)
Absolutely. Considering Shearers goal drought pre euro 96. Don’t recall Ian Wright ever getting a mention, didn’t even make the squad for the Euros? At that point no one knew Shearer would win the golden boot, so was a gamble.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think he was ex Palace and deep down the coaching staff new he was iffy.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Is Gascoigne a fair comparison? He was never a striker, he was a midfield playmaker.

Surely Ferdinand and Beardsley would be better comparisons in that era? Probably the same result I suspect?

Ferdinand and Beardsley. OK I'll do a check later and add them to the spreadsheet :thumbsup:

I included Gazza because I couldn't think of any other prolific goalscorers.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Wright was a late bloomer, his best football from his late 20’s onwards.

His England career straddled:

Graham Taylor - who played one upfront, including Alan mediocre Smith. Wright wasn’t as good up to 1992 as Lineker.

Then according to wiki, Taylor rarely started with Wright, instead giving preference to Hirst, Deane, Clough and P.Stewart.

@HWT - you’re right, Wright was better than that lot.

Venables - did play Wright, but Shearer was the best striker and dovetailed with a creator such as Sheringham.

Hoddle - IW was then 33, with the likes of Owen the next generation.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
seem to recall the games he did play he wasnt as good as for club. passionate, enthusiastic, but quality didnt show through for some reason. see also LeTissier (not sure he showed the passion).

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Not forgetting that four of Ian Wright's goals came against San Marino. Set that aside and he has one goal in his first 20 appearances.

After that, Shearer was on the scene with Sherringham as his anchor.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

Include Robbie Fowler too. Another great player, when England had top class strikers galore.

My memory of that time was that Les Ferdinand seemed to play a lot better for England than Ian Wright.

Andy Cole also never produced for England, despite being massively prolific at club level.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Shearer was immense, one of the very best English strikers in my lifetime

Sherringham was a clever player, a much better foil for Shearer than Wright

Gascgoine wasn’t a striker

So the answer is no, Ian Wright wasn’t overlooked, he was just unlucky to be around at the same time as Shearer

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Andy Cole and Robbie Fowler "used up" a lot of caps without achieving much for England in that era too, before Owen sealed the 2nd striker spot next to Shearer.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Best striker i’ve seen in my near 50 years of watching Palace.
Criminally overlooked by England, he should have been one of our leading goalscorers.
He just loved scoring goals, he would practise for hours on his finishing, just so he could hear the sound of the ball hitting the net.

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
He was unlucky to be competing at the same time as Alan Shearer who justifiably got to start and forge a successful partnership with Teddy Sheringham.
Prior to Shearer's emergence he was unlucky to have Graham Taylor picking the team who was one of the worst managers the blazers at the FA ever inflicted on this country.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Did you write up that spreadsheet thingy yourself HWT?

If so, would you mind sharing what drugs you were on when you wrote 'overrated' besides Gascoigne's column? :lolol:

Possibly THE most gifted player to ever put on an England shirt.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Shearer and Sheringham clicked, making them both undropppable. Anyone else was the supporting act off the bench.

Plus gold teeth are for pimps and pushers.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Best striker i’ve seen in my near 50 years of watching Palace.
Criminally overlooked by England, he should have been one of our leading goalscorers.
He just loved scoring goals, he would practise for hours on his finishing, just so he could hear the sound of the ball hitting the net.

He really wasn't. As said, 1 goal in 20 before Shearer came along. There were other options too.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Did you write up that spreadsheet thingy yourself HWT?

If so, would you mind sharing what drugs you were on when you wrote 'overrated' besides Gascoigne's column? :lolol:

Possibly THE most gifted player to ever put on an England shirt.

This.

I think Wright was a great club player, however, 33 caps is a fairly significant number of chances IMO.

Also, questionable temperament.

Gascogne was a genius....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Wright probably would have gone to 1990 World Cup if he hadn’t broken his leg. He did the business in the FA cup final but it was too late. Maybe he’d have gone in 94, if we hadn’t ballsed up qualification.
Taylor should have played him more but he didn’t fit into his system (rightly or wrongly).
Serious competition in the mid to late 90s - shearer, Cole, sheringham, collymore, Beardsley, mcdougald, Ferdinand.
That all coupled with him never grabbing his chances when he had them (bit of a chicken and egg situation) and you have a wasted talent at international level.
Great player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here