Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Average age of starting XI

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Another excellent graph from experimental 361 showing minutes played by ages.

Showing again what a good position we are in squad age and also what a problem Palace have.

Screenshot_20210328-095116_Samsung Internet.jpg

For each club I’ve added up all the league minutes played by every player this season and calculated the percentage accumulated by players of every age, rolling up “18 and under” and “35 and over” for neatness’ sake.

Each vertical “step” on a club’s chart is a year, with the major age milestones denoted by slightly thicker lines (as per the labels on the left). The width of the coloured graph at each step corresponds to the percentage of minutes accounted for by players of that age.

https://experimental361.com/2021/03/28/squad-age-profiles-premier-league-28-mar-2021/

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Thanks for doing this, it's fascinating to look at.

Putting aside our rivalry with Palace. I'll be very interested to see how they deal with the transition of lowering their average age by getting the balance right between offering new contracts to experienced players and finding the budget to buy Premier League quality youngsters.

D

Deleted member 2719

Excellent graph, thanks for highlighting this as some may not have realised what we are building here at the Albion.

I only hope we can hang on to Potter as I don't know how many others are available and prepared to have the balls to play the young players in such a big way.

This is another reason why I always thought Hughton was a dead end manager for us.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
“In fact, no club in the top four divisions has given a higher share of its playing minutes to 30-somethings (47.6%).”

Dad’s Army!

Kids win you nothing :whistle:

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
You just knew who would top that....

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Interesting. Doesn’t necessarily lead to better results though .

No that’s not the point - it’s all about long term when looking at this, and how much of a rebuilding job is required over the next few years for certain clubs.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Excellent graph, thanks for highlighting this as some may not have realised what we are building here at the Albion.

I only hope we can hang on to Potter as I don't know how many others are available and prepared to have the balls to play the young players in such a big way.

This is another reason why I always thought Hughton was a dead end manager for us.

Harsh.

Chris was exactly what we needed when he was brought in and did an excellent job. He lay the foundations of what we have now. GPott was and is the next step in the evolution of BHAFC.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
From the top four oldest squad in the first season after promotion to the third youngest now, quite a dramatic change and while progress might not yet show in the league table, keeping the same results while changing the squad from one that had reached their peak to one that is likely to improve a lot is a type of progress.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here